News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I guess when you have a public outrage and probably 1500+ furious riders it’s enough to make anything happen.

The next train is 76 minutes delayed, so it'll be past 5pm by the time by the time people get to the tourist district. Waste of a day.
If some are spending the entire weekend and/or the minority that have Monday off then they can still recover from this and enjoy themselves, but it’s a complete waste for the single day trip passengers. It doesn’t help that the trip normally spans 2-5 hours for most people who’s from the north or east end of the GTA, so those are the ones that definitely has the day ruined for them.

Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow. I'm surprised that there isn't a manual way to lower the bridge.
What, like hand crank multiple tons? Maybe they could have put the 1500 to work.

1657398207164.png

What, like hand crank multiple tons? Maybe they could have put the 1500 to work.

LOL - Actually, bridges swing pretty easily... they are counterweighted, after all. Whatever broke or seized would have been misaligned or awkward to dislodge.

I don't know what one can do when there is no alternate route or alternative transport available. No different than weather closing an airport, really - there will be disappointed people, but it's not like these folks were flying to take a cruise.

- Paul

20180718 Pboro bridge k.jpg

..., but it's not like these folks were flying to take a cruise.

- Paul

Perhaps not, though for some low-income people, the time and $ commitment, never mind if you have little kids in tow is not immaterial.

I would add, a fair few international tourists to Toronto want to make a 1-day side trip to see the Falls and may not pass by this way again for years (or ever).

That's not to say there was an easy solution; rather, I'm simply sympathetic to those who lost several hours of their time and a planned excursion.

That's not to say there was an easy solution; rather, I'm simply sympathetic to those who lost several hours of their time and a planned excursion.

Lots of disappointment, certainly, especially for families with kids.

The saving grace is that the breakdown happened before the train got over the bridge. Had it happened with the load of people already at the Falls, and unable to get home, the issue would change from inconvenient to a much more serious situation.

I wonder what level of response GO can or would muster in that situation.

- Paul

Based on my experience the when my weekday Niagara local train failed to take me to St. Catharines a few years ago, GO won't refund the tickets, because the delay was CN's fault.

My experience:

The Maple Leaf a half hour earlier had apparently reported unsafe track conditions on the track in St Catharines station, so our train had to take the other track, which doesn't have a platform. They gathered everyone (20 people) accessibility car, and the plan was to unload across the other track using the station's asphalt crossings which are there for that purpose. But for whatever reason, they decided that they couldn't do that and ended up running non-stop to Niagara Falls. They said they would run a shuttle bus back to St. Catharines for us.

There was indeed a bus waiting in the parking lot of the train station, but upon exiting the parking lot (bottoming out on the steep ramp in the process) the bus just went to the bus terminal and started the regularly scheduled Route 12 trip to Burlington. So we stopped at Niagara College and were told that we'd need to transfer at St Catharines Fairview mall to another bus. The passengers basically revolted at this notion and demanded to be driven direct to St. Catharines Station. So the drivers arranged to instead swap buses at Fairview Mall, so the people heading to St. Catharines Station stayed on the bus, while people continuing on the 12 needed to get off switch to the other bus. There were a group of Route 12 customers upstairs who didn't speak English, but fortunately there was someone onboard who spoke Spanish and could explain to them what they needed to do.

I called GO afterwards to ask for a refund, and they told me that they wouldn't since the track conditions were CN's fault, not theirs. They only refunded the difference between the trip to Niagara which I had been forced to take, and the trip to St Catharines which I had been trying to take.

Back