News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So, self-contradictory. Thirty seconds x thousands of barriers = a lot of work.

I see no bit head on the pins into the armrest so they might be bolted from underneath.
The problem is not necessarily that there are thousands of them, the problem is that thousands of them are spread over hundreds of train car, which cannot be out of service at once, or probably even in a convenient order. So it will take a lot of shifts to remove them all.

If Metrolinx did cite the reason for not doing this as it being "a lot of work", that really says a lot about the ambition and competence of the organization. After all, they presumably clean and maintain these same thousand or so cars on a regular basis, but removing some plexiglass is a big problem?

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting they should terminate the contract now, I'm suggesting they should have thought of passenger comfort before entertaining the idea of repainting the coaches. The fact that they didn't tells me a lot about the culture of thinking at Metrolinx... not that any of that wasn't obvious to me even beforehand!

The new refurbished cab cars that are just returning from up north HAVE the barriers installed, which is just creating more work. This leads me to believe that the 90 coaches heading west for refurbishment will also come back with the barriers, why they don’t take the opportunity to remove them permanently (because they will need to be removed for the refurbishment anyways), is beyond me.

The problem is not necessarily that there are thousands of them, the problem is that thousands of them are spread over hundreds of train car, which cannot be out of service at once, or probably even in a convenient order. So it will take a lot of shifts to remove them all.

If Metrolinx did cite the reason for not doing this as it being "a lot of work", that really says a lot about the ambition and competence of the organization. After all, they presumably clean and maintain these same thousand or so cars on a regular basis, but removing some plexiglass is a big problem?

Give everyone who boards a screwdriver

Meida reports on this issue are quite high considering all the idiotic crap Metrolinx has done over the years that never made even the back page.

It feels like the teflon coating is starting to finally wear away from all the own-goals they're taking. Pretty much no one believes anything they say anymore about anything at all. Even the press-release regurgitators like CP24 don't want them around anymore, probably because their viewers are among the most likely to use GO and those viewers know anything said by someone who works for Metrolinx is bullshit, if not a deliberate lie.

This feels like a sea change moment where they have never been more vulnerable. A savvy politician would go for the jugular right now. But, alas, Ontario politicians from all four parties are as lazy, inept and ignorant as the losers at Metrolinx.

Last edited:
Meida reports on this issue are quite high considering all the idiotic crap Metrolinx has done over the years that never made even the back page.

It feels like the teflon coating is starting to finally wear away from all the own-goals they're taking. Pretty much no one believes anything they say anymore about anything at all. Even the press-release regurgitators like CP24 don't want them around anymore, probably because their viewers are among the most likely to use GO and those viewers know anything said by someone who works for Metrolinx is bullshit, if not a deliberate lie.

This feels like a sea change moment where they have never been more vulnerable. A savvy politician would go for the jugular right now. But, alas, Ontario politicians from all four parties are as lazy, inept and ignorant as the losers at Metrolinx.
day-to-day operations at Metrolinx are not going to be a winner on the provincial level, really, for the same reason that the Liberal's reduced transit fare proposal fell flat in the last election. Ultimately the vast majority of people in Ontario rarely if ever take public transit, and far less take GO.

day-to-day operations at Metrolinx are not going to be a winner on the provincial level, really, for the same reason that the Liberal's reduced transit fare proposal fell flat in the last election. Ultimately the vast majority of people in Ontario rarely if ever take public transit, and far less take GO.

Yes/No; let me nitpick this in a couple of ways.

The vast majority of Ontario families do not have children in the Separate (Catholic) School system. Even if one accounted for anyone in a household who had attended such, past-tense, your still a comparatively small minority. Yet, no major political party wants to remove funding/merge the systems.

The argument there is the same as for GO service.....angry voters are more likely to vote; and those who vote are more likely to be motivated by anger than by contentment.

Lets then add, angry voters are potential 'swing' voters; and if those voters are in 'swing' ridings that have an inordinate impact on whether a party gains or retains power, they have out-sized pull.

Voters in Bruce Peninsula who have returned a Conservative in every election for more than 30 years don't matter much; because the outcome of the election there is largely pre-determined.

But Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Vaughan and Whitby all swing. Mostly team red/blue; but in Brampton or Oshawa or Hamilton, team orange is also in play.

I think issue has potential. Do I think it moves the board outside the GTA? No, not really, but it has potential to swing more than a dozen 905 ridings. That, I expect will get some attention (or at least one might hope)

Yes/No; let me nitpick this in a couple of ways.

The vast majority of Ontario families do not have children in the Separate (Catholic) School system. Even if one accounted for anyone in a household who had attended such, past-tense, your still a comparatively small minority. Yet, no major political party wants to remove funding/merge the systems.

The argument there is the same as for GO service.....angry voters are more likely to vote; and those who vote are more likely to be motivated by anger than by contentment.

Lets then add, angry voters are potential 'swing' voters; and if those voters are in 'swing' ridings that have an inordinate impact on whether a party gains or retains power, they have out-sized pull.

Voters in Bruce Peninsula who have returned a Conservative in every election for more than 30 years don't matter much; because the outcome of the election there is largely pre-determined.

But Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Vaughan and Whitby all swing. Mostly team red/blue; but in Brampton or Oshawa or Hamilton, team orange is also in play.

I think issue has potential. Do I think it moves the board outside the GTA? No, not really, but it has potential to swing more than a dozen 905 ridings. That, I expect will get some attention (or at least one might hope)
People care far more about tax cuts and subsidies (to themselves - all deserved, of course. Nobody else should get these handouts though!) than about good public services.

If you ask most people if they're in favour of childcare, better hospitals, transit, schools, and roads, they'll say yes. Nobody wants to pay to fund these things.

Subway? No. BRT at best.
Ford said subway and ford is the planner and funder of all things transit. Everyone else is pretending to matter when it comes to transit. It’s ford ford he’s our man if he can’t do it no one can. Actually whether we cheer for him or not we voted for him and he’s running this like a dictator.

People care far more about tax cuts and subsidies (to themselves - all deserved, of course. Nobody else should get these handouts though!) than about good public services.

If you ask most people if they're in favour of childcare, better hospitals, transit, schools, and roads, they'll say yes. Nobody wants to pay to fund these things.

I'm not sure I buy that.

I might buy this "Most people don't trust our current political and bureaucratic leaders to make good use of any additional funds raised and actually deliver the promised outcome'"

I think if you posed a question this way to voters " would you support raising a tax 'x' (hypothetically the sales tax by 1%) IF it resulted in universal prescription drugcare and your ability to get diagnostic imaging in under 30 days and elective
surgery in under 60 days" I think you would get a 'yes'.

But people would have to believe that everyone involved was accountable and would actually deliver the promised outcome. A lot of people currently don't, and regrettably, with good reason.

If you’re going to live in the bush and take transit then don’t live in Milton. Live in Pickering. They have a go train and soon a subway.
It's not just Milton. It also effects trips to neighbouring Mississauga! And I thought also on other routes.

Back