News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Someone made a new Video on Youtube about London GO. Seems like a decent number of people got off at Stratford.
I love Miles in Transit's channel and I recommend any fans of transit content on youtube check him out. I appreciate that he actually goes out and rides all the systems he's talking about. He's made a few videos about Toronto recently.

The TTC owns their own readers plus has crazy volume and probably does a ton of other things to lower the rate. I think it's closer to 10% for the smaller agencies?
TTC owns the fare gates in stations, but nothing new there.

I believe that Metrolinx owns and maintains the 5,000+ readers.

Yeah many other agencies were higher.

TTC owns the fare gates in stations, but nothing new there.

I believe that Metrolinx owns and maintains the 5,000+ readers.

Yeah many other agencies were higher.
Do you have a source? I remember reading in the news one of the reasons decided that the DTC machines were always behind the 905 systems was that they owned the readers. We also makes sense because if you look at the new street cars in the transit museum, they still have the old PRESTO machines there.

And indeed - on page 14:
IMG_6172.jpeg
I assume that Metrolinx owns the readers for the buses, though I didn’t read anything about that.

My guess is that the readers are rolled out to the TTC last because you really don’t want your biggest customer with the widest variability of needs to be the test bed. Ideally you’ll have knocked out the issues earlier by trialing new equipment and software on smaller providers.

The TTC could also be a bit more resistant to changing readers without testing and their own ‘certification’ process as well - I don’t know. Hopefully someone in the know will educate us.

Someone made a new Video on Youtube about London GO. Seems like a decent number of people got off at Stratford.
Now that is a fun fact

Its been talked about quite a bit here but the backstory of how the 21 doesn’t go to Union anymore has to do with last summer. Traffic was insufferable on weekends to the point where getting into downtown took almost 2 hours to get into and there was also construction near the Union bus terminal at that time which made matters worse. 21 buses were then all rerouted to detour to Port Credit, along with 31 buses as well (this was way before the Kitchener weekend train service started), which made matters even worse because of the Hurontario LRT construction and QEW traffic.

So GO earlier this year gave their solution to this problem by these Milton bus reroutings and finally introducing the Kitchener corridor weekend trains. These buses going to the LSW stations were nice at first but now its only useful going anywhere else in the GTA but DT Toronto which is obviously where most people are going and where most of the complaints come from when discussing the Milton corridor bus reroutings. The connections to the 407 corridor buses and the LSW trains actually do work out well though.
The thing is, we already have a REALLY solid connection from the 407 to the lakeshore in the form of GO bus # 56, which is Oshawa - Oakville via the 407 corridor. And it’s a route I undoubtedly utilize a lot. But I especially find route 21C to be the most redundant as the corridor it utilizes is 100% covered by mi-way. (And is the easiest to continue running into union). But my main question is why the 16 was allowed to survive even though it’s easier to convert into a train and takes the exact same congested routes the 21 did. Either keep all or keep none! I’m hoping we’ll have some sort of improvement with service over the next year or so, even a bus from kipling terminal that serves the milton line stations would be a massive improvement compared to the hourly mess we have to deal with nowadays.

Hopefully I'm not going off topic but why did they go from 2 to 1? I can't remember if 2 was for reliability or train length.
They used 2 for reliability due to the age of the F59 locomotives.

They switched to 1 after it was found there were potential loading point issues at Union Station, and thus an edict was made to restrict GO Trains from running doubleheader.

Back