News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

While two service branches on the UP Express lines up with what’s planned in the far future, I’d still be wary of trusting a Twitter post; I think we should wait for an official announcement to see what the full plan is before jumping to any conclusions.
Given that the 4th platform at Weston is now complete, it is very plausible that they would start 30-min service to Bramalea (or possibly Mt Pleasant) in April.

If they were to implement alternating express and local service on UP Express, they would presumably time it with expanded local service on the Kitchener line to maintain a regular 15-minute headway at Weston and Bloor (alternating between Kitchener Local and Airport Local), so if the 30 min service to Bramalea is in fact starting, then the UP express/local change could plausibly accompany it.

However UPX DMUs are currently limited to 10 mph (16 km/h) past all UPX platforms. So express service would provide minimal benefit until that slow order is somehow resolved.

So my conclusion 'I don't know' but the claim is vaguely plausible.

Last edited:
Seeing this rumour on Twitter. The poster has a decent track record.

View attachment 544174
This would hopefully mean that 1) the rumoured big April service bump is happening 2) hopefully Kitchener Line (at least Bramalea-Union) service increases offset service losses at local stops 3) Mount Dennis station is opening before the crosstown.
I connect via the stupid grocery store parking lot method, to line 2. If I have to wait 30 mins for the UPX, I'll take an Uber instead.

On my latest trip on Sunday, the airport spur section was so slow and loud. It's always been bad but the train slammed on the brakes a few times and was moving more slowly than walking speed. I wonder if they'll ever fix the spur, because doing so would shave a few minutes off the commute time for riders.

My traditional sources for Mx have been quiet as of late.

Perhaps @smallspy may have some insight on the above (April service plans for GO/UPX)
Given that the 4th platform at Weston is now complete, it is very plausible that they would start 30-min service to Bramalea (or possibly Mt Pleasant) in April.

If they were to implement alternating express and local service on UP Express, they would presumably time it with expanded local service on the Kitchener line, so if the above is true then the UP change could match.

However UPX DMUs are currently limited to 10 mph (16 km/h) past all UPX platforms. So express service would provide minimal benefit until that slow order is somehow resolved.

I'm still waiting on more details, but the big one that I've been told about is a return to the 15 minute off-peak service from Oshawa to Oakville. My understanding is that this is also to include weekend mid-days as well this time around.

I'm aware of a bunch of potential service patterns being discussed for the UPX, including the one listed in the tweet (or whatever the hell they call them now). But my understanding is that the GO and UPX station will not open until The Crosstown opens - so not in April.

And of course, one of the discussion points regarding the potential skip-stop service on UPX was the fact that yes, there is a rule in place stating that UPX trains can not exceed 10mph when passing, entering or leaving any UPX platform. And, of course, it's a silly, Metrolinx-instituted rule, as there is no such limitation on any of the GO, VIA or freight trains past those same platforms. But because of said rule, the time savings from any potential arrangement of stop removal would be minimized, and so there has been quite a bit of pushback to it.

Dan

I'm aware of a bunch of potential service patterns being discussed for the UPX,
Are you able to discuss a few of these? I’m aware of one (which I think is a really good idea that should be implemented), and this local-express service that someone posted on Twitter

I connect via the stupid grocery store parking lot method, to line 2. If I have to wait 30 mins for the UPX, I'll take an Uber instead.

On my latest trip on Sunday, the airport spur section was so slow and loud. It's always been bad but the train slammed on the brakes a few times and was moving more slowly than walking speed. I wonder if they'll ever fix the spur, because doing so would shave a few minutes off the commute time for riders.
Clearly they wouldn't reduce service if there wasn't some kind of compromise, and if this is true and it happens then it seems like 30 min GO service to Bramalea is happening.

The spur also isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Yes it sure is slow but the trains still get to the Pearson station close to the schedule, and leaves it almost always on time.

I'm still waiting on more details, but the big one that I've been told about is a return to the 15 minute off-peak service from Oshawa to Oakville. My understanding is that this is also to include weekend mid-days as well this time around.
Do you think they'll run this service with shorter train sets? I've noticed them start to prep the platforms with better signage to indicate where certain train lengths stop. I wonder if they wanted to get this done prior to shortening the trains on Lakeshore West.

I've noticed them start to prep the platforms with better signage to indicate where certain train lengths stop
When you say that do you mean these signs? (The green sign at the bottom not the blue sign at the top)
IMG_5620.jpeg

When you say that do you mean these signs? (The green sign at the bottom not the blue sign at the top)
Yep, those are the ones. They have also added posters in the platform tunnels outlining the different train lengths and what signs to look for. I just noticed these recently, so I am unsure when they added them.

Yep, those are the ones. They have also added posters in the platform tunnels outlining the different train lengths and what signs to look for. I just noticed these recently, so I am unsure when they added them.
Great to hear! GO’s been piloting signage like that at Mimico and Danforth for a few years now… the former Metrolinx spokesperson said a wider rollout was supposed to come in early 2023 but that never happened.

I guess it’s pairing with the new ranged car markers pilot for GO crews that was recently started on the Lakeshore East Line, currently they only set up the 12 car ranged markers
IMG_4548.jpeg

If they were to implement alternating express and local service on UP Express, they would presumably time it with expanded local service on the Kitchener line to maintain a regular 15-minute headway at Weston and Bloor (alternating between Kitchener Local and Airport Local), so if the 30 min service to Bramalea is in fact starting, then the UP express/local change could plausibly accompany it.

Hopefully Mount Pleasant. Would bring more revenue.

Are you able to discuss a few of these? I’m aware of one (which I think is a really good idea that should be implemented), and this local-express service that someone posted on Twitter
Basically anything that you can conceive is on the table. All trains stopping everywhere, half of the trains operating as expresses with the other half as locals, skip-stop, etc.

Do you think they'll run this service with shorter train sets? I've noticed them start to prep the platforms with better signage to indicate where certain train lengths stop. I wonder if they wanted to get this done prior to shortening the trains on Lakeshore West.
No, they will not be operating the Lakeshore trains with shorter sets. Well, perhaps operating more L10 sets over the L12s. But Lakeshore is the one line that needs the longer trains even at off-peak and sees the largest peak loads, so shortening the trains is not foreseen as being helpful.

There are currently two programs afoot regarding the signage - one is a replacement of the old signage with a new standard. The second is a wholesale remeasuring and repositioning of the existing signage, although that project also frequently installs new signage as part of its work - which is why you see the two "12" markers on that photo of the west end of Pickering Station.

Dan

Hopefully Mount Pleasant. Would bring more revenue.

Nope, that’s CN territory. It’d require triple tracking through Downtown Brampton (at the minimum). Things are slowly moving on that front but Brampton will have to demolish the office building at Nelson and Main and build a new transit terminal to support the expanded station there.

Nope, that’s CN territory. It’d require triple tracking through Downtown Brampton (at the minimum). Things are slowly moving on that front but Brampton will have to demolish the office building at Nelson and Main and build a new transit terminal to support the expanded station there.
Feb 23;
What has to removed forBrampton Expansion
53555387400_46a5f55353_b.jpg

53555278059_d9ba3550be_b.jpg

53554939536_9d72483244_b.jpg

Can someone remind me why this is the option and not the north side? I acknowledge that isn't an easy option either. just wondering what the thought process was.

Can someone remind me why this is the option and not the north side? I acknowledge that isn't an easy option either. just wondering what the thought process was.
What I can think of is all the stations except Georgetown are on the south side of the corridor. Also that the Weston sub comes in at the south side of the Halton Sub at Halwest.

Back