News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Breslau is a formerly independent community within Woolwich Township. I'm not sure if Greenhouse Road is still within Woolwich; it might be within the boundaries of another village.

I can't believe they're using Greenhouse Road. The traffic along Highway 7 there is horrible. You're going to have drivers turning off of a two lane road driving to the station on another, narrower two lane road with ditches as shoulders. They would have been better off putting it on Shantz Station Road.

The new Highway 7 will take a lot of traffic off of the current 7.. perhaps with the urban expansion the portion east of Fountain will be rebuilt as a suburban arterial. . I'm sure Greenhouse Road will be rebuilt as the urban area expands. I guess the first while will be awkward. Shantz is at the edge of the future urban area, while Greenhouse will be more central to the east side lands.

I'm mentioning it again, but I think it would be really good for the trackage around Union Station to be buried, from the Don River crossing in the East to where the Georgetown line branches off.

Burying this portion would do many, many things. First of all, it would open up a lot of development on land previously occupied by the rail corridor. It would also remove a big barrier from between the City and the waterfront. There would also be a lot of room to add extra track, enough for all of Union Station's future needs.

It would also allow a complete redesign of Union's platforms, which would probably and hopefully allow the station to be much more efficient, especially when handling Go Trains.

In terms of the DRL, it could hang on the north end of the underground tracks, probably do a duck out to better service West Don Lands, then pop back in to land right underneath Union subway station.

I think that burying even a small portion of rail around Union like that would be great. I sure hopes the City looks at doing that.

While I agree that would be quite the ideal solution, accomplishing such a task is quite the logistical nightmare and probably does not justify the costs.

In order to bury the tracks the current raised viaduct would 1st have to be removed. It would be extremely difficult to do this while maintaining even current levels of GO & VIA service nevermind the coming massive GO expansion plans which will be implemented well before any such a project is undertaken. Temporary tracks can't be built adjacent to the corridor because it's surrounded by developments to the north and Lakeshore boulevard and the elevated expressway to the south. Aside from rail traffic you have Cherry st, Parliament st, Sherbourne st, Jarvis st, Young st, Bay st, York st and the newly constructed Simcoe st underpass all routing traffic underneath the corridor.

Obviously you couldn't just rebuild it in one 'go' as that would shut down all those streets and all GO traffic on the Lakeshore East, Stouffville and Richmond Hill corridors and VIA traffic to Montreal & Ottawa.

Half the raised viaduct could perhaps be removed and temporally made level with the roads crossing underneath it. Doing this alone will lead to major train congestion during rush hour. As you would be eliminated the use of several tracks in a corridor that sees during the rush hour 12 trains come out of Don yard westward into Union station, several westward all day trains coming from the Lakeshore east corridor several more westward equipment trains coming from the Lakeshore East corridor, more than a dozen trains going eastward into the Lakeshore East corridor, 5 more trains going eastward to Stouffville, 4 more trains going eastward to Richmond Hill and several more VIA trains going in both directions as well. - It will seriously interfere and cause major delays to all the above trains. Not only because you have less tracks but also because of having all those workers and equipment down there.

So then what do you do with Cherry st, Parliament st, Sherbourne st, Jarvis st, Young st, Bay st, York st and Simcoe st? Will the tracks be brought down to be at the same level as these streets currently are? In that case the half the corridor would be made level and level crossings would be temporality installed at all the above streets, while the second part of the viaduct is removed. Of course this would level to massive congesting because a train would be crossing the tracks every couple of minutes doing rush hour. So then should the streets be temporality closed off entirely? Not really an option as this would lead to even worse congestion. Once the Viaduct is removed then overpasses could finally be individually constructed at each street. The cost would be in the billions and construction would last for many years.

A better solution would of course be to lower the first half of the viaduct that is to be removed to a level below all the streets passing underneath the current viaduct. This would be the more pedestrian friendly solution of course, and eliminated the need for bridge approach structures. But it would require deeper excavation of the track bed. Undoubtedly countless utility relocation projects would have to be undertaken, overpass structures would still need to be built at all the streets, drainage could be a major issue due to excavation below the water table. Cost would increase enormously as would constructions time, probably lasting over a decade.

Or you could just leave it as is. Is it really worth the exorbitant costs and years of increased congestion to both rail & vehicular traffic?

Last edited:
I have a report prepared for CP that lays out in detail how the rail corridor would be buried through the downtown. It also suggests that the costs would be reasonable, though such a complex project seems like it would surely be quite expensive. The advantages would be enormous and it would free up a huge amount of land, though Toronto generally does a pretty bad job of developing the vast empty lands that it already has.

I have a report prepared for CP that lays out in detail how the rail corridor would be buried through the downtown. It also suggests that the costs would be reasonable, though such a complex project seems like it would surely be quite expensive. The advantages would be enormous and it would free up a huge amount of land, though Toronto generally does a pretty bad job of developing the vast empty lands that it already has.

that would be amazing, i remember last year when i was visiting family in Barcelona, I took the train, and when we got to the downtown area, the train tracks dipped underneath the city, I had never seen it before, and it made such a difference. As there wasn't a huge clutter of train tracks at the station, it was just a nice building.

:cool:
From http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/Art...aspx?e=1666711

News Briefs
Posted By
Posted 8 hours ago

NUMBER OF GO RIDERS EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS

Saturday was the busiest day yet for GO Transit's excursion train between Niagara Falls and Toronto, according to figures the provincial agency provided to the mayor's office.

There were 1,925 passengers Saturday, including 708 from Toronto on the 9:40 a. m. Niagara-bound train.

Mayor Ted Salci said GO anticipated ridership of about 500 passengers a day. More than 12,000 passengers have used GO Transit's excursion train between The Falls and Toronto in the first nine days since the service debuted.

The provincially owned transit agency launched Niagara Falls- Toronto weekend train service June 27 as a way to boost the tourism industry and alleviate traffic congestion on the Queen Elizabeth Way.

GO will provide weekend and holiday train service between Toronto and Niagara Falls until Thanksgiving. There are four trains a day in each direction.

For fare and schedule information, visit www.gotransit.com.

I remember once calculating how many kilometers of traffic one lakeshore Go train replaces on the Gardiner/QEW. I think it was about 5 kilometers of slow traffic, and something like 15 kilometers of fast moving traffic. Now, I always appreciate the sight of a Go train during rush hour.

$125 million for this expansion of GO Transit (4 stops). Quite a deal compared to LRT or subway. But still somehow seems like a lot to me, given what GO stations look like.

It includes signal improvements to (literally) bring the line out of the dark ages with CTC (centralized traffic control), which requires a lot of work. It also means property acquisition, a new train yard, and some passing sidings. It is quite a deal and will also mean faster (and hopefully more) VIA service. Some money is saved by sharing the Guelph and Kitchener stations, of course.

The Milton Line can go to Cambridge, it can't go to Kitchener without new tracks or a very indirect routing.

From the summary:

As this corridor is currently in “dark territory†(i.e. un-signalized), to address rail safety issues, the entire rail corridor from Silver Junction to London will be upgraded to a Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) system. The design and installation of the CTC system within the Georgetown to Kitchener rail corridor will be coordinated with VIA, CN and GEXR.

Why all the way to London?

TOS

Why all the way to London?

It is a VIA Rail initiated project. VIA had UMA Engineering evaluating ways to increase the number of trains and the line speed along this route before the GO EA even started. Now it looks like both projects will feed off each other greatly increasing the chances that reports will materialize into actual improvements. There is some rumours of VIA buying a bunch of IRSI RDC coaches for the route kicking around.

GO Niagara Falls Service...and the VIA strike...

Everyone: It is good to see that GO's weekend service to Niagara Falls is off to a good start-I figured that support would be strong for it in the Niagara Region and perhaps GO may look at weekday service also.

I am wondering if the VIA strike may impact this service - if striking engineers picket GO facilities will that have an affect on GO service systemwide?
Will the Monday morning commute be a problem in the Toronto region? (July 27th)
LI MIKE

Last edited:

Back