News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Long over due and now don't have to rush to get my train home from Burlington like I do today.

Now when is the 15-20 minutes service going to show up under the Big Move??? Another 40 years???

Got to keep hiring and training crews to get to the levels under the Big Move.

I don't think anyone has said that. That's the time-frame for the 15-20 minute frequency electrified service.

This is from the Toronto Star story linked above:

"Although GO is looking to expand those services, Metrolinx has said it will be at least 15 years before Kitchener and Milton operate all day."

"Although GO is looking to expand those services, Metrolinx has said it will be at least 15 years before Kitchener and Milton operate all day."

According to the Mayor of Brampton, that is what they have told her...so I guess the Star is confirming her statement. What they have told me when I ask is, there are no firm plans/dates....but it ain't happening soon. They are very clear on what the service will look like in 2015.

"up to" 29 trips per day in total (likely 14 one way and 15 the other).

Which is BS. Metrolinx has also said they restore the existing mid-day Bramalea service by 2015, and 5 more return trips. There's no reason there shouldn't be all-day 2-hour service on the Kitchener line to Bramalea by 2015, under their current plan.

Besides, 15 or 25 years is Metrolinx's stock answer for anything. Remember back in 2008 when they said we'd have a fare card implemented region-wide within 25 years? Yes we will, but it only will take 8 years, not 25.

All Metrolinx can do is deal with existing budget. If you want full-day service, focus on the Minister's office and the Premier's office.

Which is BS. Metrolinx has also said they restore the existing mid-day Bramalea service by 2015, and 5 more return trips. There's no reason there shouldn't be all-day 2-hour service on the Kitchener line to Bramalea by 2015, under their current plan.

Besides, 15 or 25 years is Metrolinx's stock answer for anything. Remember back in 2008 when they said we'd have a fare card implemented region-wide within 25 years? Yes we will, but it only will take 8 years, not 25.

All Metrolinx can do is deal with existing budget. If you want full-day service, focus on the Minister's office and the Premier's office.

I guess what UWGrad might have been asking (and I have for a long time) why could there not be hourly service. This announcement today is saying "if you live on the Lakeshore line hourly service is not good enough for you so we are adding 263 train trips a week to bring you to half hourly service. If you live elsewhere, you can wait 15 years for what we deem is not good enough near the lake today."

Think of it another way......in its peak rush hour service, the average gap between trains on the KW line is about 30 minutes.....so the Lakeshore lines now have the same headways in the middle of the evening on a Sunday ...that the KW line has in the morning rush on a workday. (and I am using the KW line as an example 'cause its the one I know best....pretty sure there would be similar differences on the other non-lakeside lines).

If you live elsewhere, you can wait 15 years for what we deem is not good enough near the lake today.
The Lakeshore line has waited almost 40 years since the promise of off-peak service was made. And that promise back then, tied into the Gardiner extension cancellation, was for better than 30-minute service ...

And I don't think Brampton is going to be waiting 15 more years for hourly off-peak service. That's simply stretching Metrolinx's lack of ability to make a long-term (or heck even a medium-term commitment).

The Lakeshore line has waited almost 40 years since the promise of off-peak service was made. And that promise back then, tied into the Gardiner extension cancellation, was for better than 30-minute service ...

And I don't think Brampton is going to be waiting 15 more years for hourly off-peak service. That's simply stretching Metrolinx's lack of ability to make a long-term (or heck even a medium-term commitment).

I think the uncertainty that's tied to Brampton getting off-peak hourly service is tied more to staffing levels than track or train availability. I can understand that it's hard for them to forecast how many crews they're actually going to have 5-10 years from now.

And Lakeshore has had off peak service during all of that time. It is, though, a slap in the face to all other GO Train customers and to taxpayers in areas not served by this line that 30 minute service on this line has priority (and by priority we seem to mean years worth of priority) over any off peak service on any of the other lines.

As we discussed the other day....the wait in Brampton is at least 25 years (that's how long personally been involved in correspondence on the matter and been promised that once the major work was done the service would be there.....I assume if I had written the same letters 26 years ago the story would have been the same so not sure how much longer than 25 years has been out there)....that aside, if it is not 15 years, why do they not take every opportunity to say "it won't be 15 years"?.....that aside, what a shocking waste of taxpayer money to do all that GTS work and spend all that money and not provide the service improvements needed.

I think the uncertainty that's tied to Brampton getting off-peak hourly service is tied more to staffing levels than track or train availability. I can understand that it's hard for them to forecast how many crews they're actually going to have 5-10 years from now.

This is not the first time crew shortage has insinuated its way into the Brampton discussion.....just wondering....how many extra crews are now needed on Lakeshore for the 263 extra train trips per week.

We may not be able to predict how many staff they need in 5- 10 years but we can, surely, figure out how many we have now, and how many extra are being allocated to Lakeshore as of June and ask the question that if there are "X" number of additional crews around, why is it so much more imperative to offer 30 minute service on one/two lines with those crew and not any off peak service on the other lines (and, before it is pointed out, I know that the "now" discussion does not include KW but there are other vastly underserved lines that could use more trains).

Folks, go back and look at the story again, it's now been updated to include the following:

It will be more than 15 years, however, before trains travel all day to the end of the Kitchener and Milton lines. But service will be added to both those corridors sooner to stops closer to Toronto — Meadowvale on the Milton line and Brampton and Bramalea on the Kitchener rails.

This makes more sense. I agree that all day service to Kitchener is very different than all-day service to Aldershot, but Brampton/Mississauga are not.

Folks, go back and look at the story again, it's now been updated to include the following:

This makes more sense. I agree that all day service to Kitchener is very different than all-day service to Aldershot, but Brampton/Mississauga are not.

"service will be added" is not all day service.

we already know what the added service in 2015 is on KW line and it is (broken record time here) 5 more return trips, weekdays only, than what existed prior to the construction and expenditure of $1.2B

All day service to Kitchener ... that would surprise me. I'd be happy just to see a single train to Kitchener in AM peak (and back in PM peak).

Back