News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It does indeed - at least the roof. They didn't preserve the roof itself at Union- it was all completely replaced. So why wasn't glass an option?

It is probably more expensive - and they had to engineer a new design for how the glazing is used (for a structure that was never designed for it), plus having to go through discussions around heritage issues.

AoD

It might be more expensive but maybe in the long run it might be about the same cost no? Considering all the adhoc revisions and modifications that have been taking place (eg. Green roof).

It might be more expensive but maybe in the long run it might be about the same cost no? Considering all the adhoc revisions and modifications that have been taking place (eg. Green roof).

If you are asking me - I'd raze it all to the ground. It's garbage - glazing or not.

AoD

Last edited:
It is probably more expensive - and they had to engineer a new design for how the glazing is used (for a structure that was never designed for it), plus having to go through discussions around heritage issues.

AoD
it's probably the latter. I dont imagine it be any harder than designing what they currently have in the middle and stretching it the whole way. they just done want to let go of their rusting, rotting shed.
They dont even give the dignity of calling this part of the station. To me a shed is something that is flimsy and not meant to last a century. Whats the point in trying to preserve something that they dont even give much regard for.....

it's probably the latter. I dont imagine it be any harder than designing what they currently have in the middle and stretching it the whole way. they just done want to let go of their rusting, rotting shed.
They dont even give the dignity of calling this part of the station. To me a shed is something that is flimsy and not meant to last a century. Whats the point in trying to preserve something that they dont even give much regard for.....

I meant if they had kept the frame of the Bush shed and engineering a glass roof for it - not the new Zeidler designed atrium.

AoD

I meant if they had kept the frame of the Bush shed and engineering a glass roof for it - not the new Zeidler designed atrium.

AoD
i have a strong feeling that the engineering just to make the glass compatible with the almost century old structure would probably pay for most of the atrium extended all the way. Not to mention
aesthetically it probably wont be even worth it to begin with considering it's lipstick to a warthog.

IMHO Montreal did a much better job of interpreting its Bush trainshed, while banishing the grunge.

Better hockey, too.

- Paul

20170819 Windsor Station Bush.jpg

IMHO Montreal did a much better job of interpreting its Bush trainshed, while banishing the grunge.
Oh they absolutely did a superb job of both the roof, and renovating the beautiful adjacent station.

But they really botched the tracks to the point of them not being useable - which may be a bigger issue. :)

I must say if the plan really is just to fill in tracks we are really going to have a bad solution there, the space between the stairwells and the platform edge will be tiny.

I must say if the plan really is just to fill in tracks we are really going to have a bad solution there, the space between the stairwells and the platform edge will be tiny.

It's lazy for one - frankly they should create a new set of stairwells at the centreline for these in-fill platforms, but these moves should have been contemplated and planned for before the work on the new concourses.

AoD

Back