News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They are removing the southern most track at Yonge St. for the track realignment I assume.

Cut the rail, lift up the rail, clean up.

A47F289A-4A80-4CFF-8352-14535621C5F7.jpeg

F9890AD0-E879-46E6-9830-3B573F0191C8.jpeg

7FF21B59-2400-41E5-92FA-8D8C65D1B37E.jpeg

57B6BF60-AE8C-4446-8EB6-309993AD4E38.jpeg

7B5FAC33-AE16-45E4-814D-42D7DF2BFF30.jpeg

^Did they collect all the rail fasteners and tieplates? Seems to be a lot of them on the bed of that hirail truck already.

Generally done with a large magnet, which looks to be at the front of the truck bed.

- Paul

So much info there. The most glaring piece of info is the following:

If I'm reading this correctly, there will be additional 2 concourses (ie, in addition to York and Bay), which seems rather unnecessary, but given that they are building new platforms on each side of the existing one - they think they have no choice?
This will most likely cost at least $1 billion...
Yes, OK. Here is what (little) the City Report has on Package 3.

• Package 3: USEP Package 3 represents the final phase of the enabling works for GO Expansion to support electrification and rail capacity planning, including OnCorridor work on expanded platforms and tracks to the east and west of the station. Metrolinx proposes to build two new concourses below grade, to support the new platforms located east of Bay Street and west of York Street. Signals, electrification, and fleet with considerations for the operations and maintenance of the rail system are also part of this package.
Initial reviews of Package 3 by the City indicate proposed new vertical access points for the Station proper; impacting areas within the Bay, York, VIA concourses and retail level. Metrolinx and IO advised that in January, 2019, they intend to issue a Request for Proposal.
Anyone know the status on if Package 3 is still happening? It’s a large expansion with another two concourses and extended platforms.

If you read up a post or two you would see it HAS STARTED. There's even a link to: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/02/16/torontos-union-station-enhancement-project-kicks-off/
That’s package 1, which is the South Concourse and the widening of the platforms, plus the new canopy over the southernmost platforms in the station.
It’s not package 3, which is the West and East concourses, and the platforms being extended well beyond the train shed; plans have changed since 2018 so I’m asking about the status of this one specifically; since it’s very important.
It would be something like this:

Last edited:
OK, I misunderstood your question. These areas both seem to be carved out (excavated) below the berm and the rails and to the east or west of the existing teamways. The 'east Bay Teamway' expansion (the orange rectangle - East Concourse) is really a widening of the passageway that leads to the GO Bus Station and would be between the two 'halves' of the CIBC Building. I doubt it will ever be more than a wide(r) passage. The equivalent on the west side (lime green, West Concourse) will be, at least, equally hard to construct and I am unclear what purpose it would serve - at least for many decades. Others may disagree but I think anything other than the South Concourse will not be built for a VERY long time, if ever.

OK, I misunderstood your question. These areas both seem to be carved out (excavated) below the berm and the rails and to the east or west of the existing teamways. The 'east Bay Teamway' expansion (the orange rectangle - East Concourse) is really a widening of the passageway that leads to the GO Bus Station and would be between the two 'halves' of the CIBC Building. I doubt it will ever be more than a wide(r) passage. The equivalent on the west side (lime green, West Concourse) will be, at least, equally hard to construct and I am unclear what purpose it would serve - at least for many decades. Others may disagree but I think anything other than the South Concourse will not be built for a VERY long time, if ever.
I agree it would be unnecessary. However the platforms will be expanded extremely far; and as such will need entrances along them. Without platform entrances to either a West or East Concourse; people will need to walk up to 200 metres to the nearest entrance underneath the train shed.

I agree it would be unnecessary. However the platforms will be expanded extremely far; and as such will need entrances along them. Without platform entrances to either a West or East Concourse; people will need to walk up to 200 metres to the nearest entrance underneath the train shed.

If the extended platforms are covered I am not sure it makes much difference if you are walking along the platform or under the platform - unless you actually want to go FURTHER east or west and you would need to retrace your steps..

Back