News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

GO is getting ETCS L2

Wow. I guess Wikipedia was wrong then!

Very impressed that we are getting what is essentially the best signaling system the world can offer. Really making the case stronger for GO being the best regional rail network in the Americas. (When all this is done.)

well technically the 3 threads of union we have are actually completely separate.

the train shed/glass roof and track upgrades are very different than the "union station revitalization" which is the project that brought us the new concourse.

the same with the new USEP which is now a different project than the other 3.

I do agree its about time we merge the threads
Oh no, these threads are MUCH better separated. The problem with threads on UT is that the thread titles are not always well thought through (and of course, that a search with "Thread Title Only" is useless!)

Oh no, these threads are MUCH better separated. The problem with threads on UT is that the thread titles are not always well thought through (and of course, that a search with "Thread Title Only" is useless!)
Why? The shed thread is practically dead with the exception of the conversation a few days ago.

TODAY
904D65B7-C5BD-4AB1-ADE5-39F826865376.jpeg

They are not”lifting” track. They are installing new crossties.

One rail has been lifted to make the changeout of the crossties quicker, as the platforms prevent the more common method which slides the tie in from one side. The rail will be replaced after the tie work is complete.

- Paul
I always wondered why the platforms extend so far down past the rest of the station?

I always wondered why the platforms extend so far down past the rest of the station?

Because
a) It's not bad to have some extra-long platforms, so train length isn't constrained and
b) the geometry of the ladder trackage, which converges to a few main line tracks, requires it.

- Paul

Because
a) It's not bad to have some extra-long platforms, so train length isn't constrained and
b) the geometry of the ladder trackage, which converges to a few main line tracks, requires it.

- Paul
Did trains used to be longer back in the day? I've never seen one poking out of the main shed

Did trains used to be longer back in the day? I've never seen one poking out of the main shed

Very definitely, they used to be longer. VIA has a much more limited fleet, so it deploys its equipment to run the most trains as opposed to fewer longer trains. VIA also keeps its equipment moving as a matter of utilisation, whereas in past days a lot of equipment sat idle during low periods and was used for very long trains mostly on peak travel days.

- Paul

Capture.JPG

The shed is 357 metres long.
A 25 car VIA train is 648 metres long excluding locomotives. I don't know what the maximum length is for the Canadian, but it was 25 cars when I took it.

Back