News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The stub track platform seems like it could become the new terminal for UP Express trains, after vacating it's current location so that construction can start there on the Union Centre office tower.
Another excellent use for the stub track would be for services which require longer dwell times, so that they don't block valuable through-track capacity. Some examples could be weekend Niagara GO service (to accommodate bike boarding, if it is ever allowed at Union), Southern Ontario-bound VIA services, or "Amtrak's" Maple Leaf.

^UP seems unlikely as it requires high level platform with doors.

- Paul
metrolinx has been "protecting for further use" lately allowing easy upgrading of the platforms of the stations like at unionville. Just because theese arent high platforms right now doesnt mean they cant be later. it's easier to simply add concrete than it is to rip out a platform and build a track later on
granted though, UPs platforms are higher than GO's intended standard i believe? It doesnt need doors, weston doesnt have doors

metrolinx has been "protecting for further use" lately allowing easy upgrading of the platforms of the stations like at unionville. Just because theese arent high platforms right now doesnt mean they cant be later. it's easier to simply add concrete than it is to rip out a platform and build a track later on
granted though, UPs platforms are higher than GO's intended standard i believe? It doesnt need doors, weston doesnt have doors
Yes - GO has mused about level boarding, but it would be low-level boarding. Think existing Bi-Level coach door height, but no step up like today.

Another excellent use for the stub track would be for services which require longer dwell times, so that they don't block valuable through-track capacity. Some examples could be weekend Niagara GO service (to accommodate bike boarding, if it is ever allowed at Union), Southern Ontario-bound VIA services, or "Amtrak's" Maple Leaf.

Bikes are allowed at Union, except during weekday peak hours. I’m not sure what you mean.

Bikes are allowed at Union at all times. It's peak-period peak-direction trains they're not allowed on. 8am on a train departing Union is allowed.

That used to be not true, but I can’t find the part on the GO website that indicated that bikes weren’t allowed at Union Station during the peak times anymore, so it’s great that has been updated, especially now that there’s two fully functional concourses, plus the teamway access points.

Since it'll be so long, then is it completely impossible to build the Union stub platform for both UP Express trains and regular GO trains like what's already been done at Weston and Bloor stations?

Since it'll be so long, then is it completely impossible to build the Union stub platform for both UP Express trains and regular GO trains like what's already been done at Weston and Bloor stations?

Weston and Bloor don't have the UPX passenger volumes that Pearson and Union do as terminal stations. At Union everybody gets off, and a whole new set of everybodys get on, which takes a lot longer without level boarding and platform doors.

Ok thanks one more question, will these new wider south platforms be for the first of the electric GO train sets? Or do the rest of the tracks and platforms at Union need to be re-organized before the electrification comes along?

Ok thanks one more question, will these new wider south platforms be for the first of the electric GO train sets? Or do the rest of the tracks and platforms at Union need to be re-organized before the electrification comes along?

You can be certain that these platforms will be electric-ready. But whether they are the first to see electric trains may depend on other things. If these platforms are intended to be used by route(s) that aren’t first priority for electrification, there will be plenty of time to electrify the remainder. The first route to be done may not be the heaviest-volume route on the system as electrifying that route may be a bigger task and thus take longer to complete.

- Paul

In 2019, Metrolinx included this schematic diagram of the target layout in Union Station rail corridor in a public consultation. It states 30% RCD.
1674495777131.png

Note that the west-facing stub track (13W in the diagram) seems to have moved eastwards so it now overlaps the trainshed, instead of starting at the end of the trainshed and extending out to the Skywalk. Given that there are connections to platforms from Bay St and not from the Skywalk, this looks like a good decision. I looked through the simulation videos but couldn't see any indication of stub-track 13E. Perhaps it's been removed?

In 2019, Metrolinx included this schematic diagram of the target layout in Union Station rail corridor in a public consultation. It states 30% RCD.
View attachment 451989

Note that the west-facing stub track (13W in the diagram) seems to have moved eastwards so it now overlaps the trainshed, instead of starting at the end of the trainshed and extending out to the Skywalk. Given that there are connections to platforms from Bay St and not from the Skywalk, this looks like a good decision. I looked through the simulation videos but couldn't see any indication of stub-track 13E. Perhaps it's been removed?
How does decreasing the number of platforms increase capacity? Is there something I am missing?

Back