News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

When I used to work downtown, I would usually just head straight to the train shed instead of waiting in the concourse. If you're a regular GO commuter, you'll know which tracks your train stops at (unless there's a delay or problem), and if you're using Lakeshore East or West, trains come often enough around rush hour that you just head to Union whenever you're done with work since trains come regularly, the time you leave the office at doesn't really depend on when the train leaves (so you might arrive 10 minutes early).

Today:

wt2p3.jpg

It blows my mind that they are still working on the first two tracks in the shed. They have been at it for a long time already. Hopefully things speed up soon.

It blows my mind that they are still working on the first two tracks in the shed. They have been at it for a long time already. Hopefully things speed up soon.

Do we know if there are on track right now? When are the next two tracks supposed to be started?

It seems to me they've started work on the other tracks already, some steam ducts have been fixed up and looks like other prep work has been done so hopefully the other tracks won't take nearly as long as the first pair.

It's also noticeably brighter under the shed these days, although mostly on the centre area.

Any idea when we'll see some work done for the green roof?

They are working on the glass roof that goes on top of the new center section of the shed. They installed two very large sections of glass since this morning.

Today - progress is a bit slow, but unlike all the condos, public funds don't move fast:

lZP7X.jpg

Today - progress is a bit slow, but unlike all the condos, public funds don't move fast.

The money is already allocated. AECON, not city employees, is building this. Those pesky people down in the bottom right of the picture probably have more to do with the speed of construction than anything to do with "public funds".

My opinion on the historical shed has changed. I just arrived at Union after taking the train across the country from Vancouver and I appreciated the old shed feel. Having the central modern portion is great to give the place a more airy big city feel but now I'm also looking forward to the restoration of the Bush shed.

Thanks insertnamehere - The glass on the shed looks spectacular - and are they replacing the copper roof? The colour looks like Tyvek...

AoD

It indeed looks to be Tryvek as seen in this post a while back by ShonTron. I hope that black material seen at the Northwest corner isn't the final treatment.

I did a simple search on google and found this picture from the 80's the shows the shed almost sparkling white.

john_st_aerial_1980.jpg

Source

Did it really get to it's present state from decades of terrible patchwork and never being cleaned? The lack of previous maintenance doesn't have me encouraged about the state of the glass panels in 5 years (or less?).

Back