News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

First off, the product is called Tyvek - it is a woven polyethylene sheet material that breathable but will not allow dust or liquids to pass through. It is perfect for this kind of application. It is also what is used to make the white painters suits.

Second, the reason that the roof looks so awful now is that they have had to replace large sections of the wooden (I believe it is red pine) roof structure and asphaltic roofing material due to rot and damage over the past 10 years. It may have looked good in the 1980s, but all they were doing was painting over the damage, rather than fixing it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No need to get holier-than-thou over a typo. And thanks for extolling its amazing virtues but it's obviously not going to be the final material left exposed, which is really all any one cares about. The important part of the picture I quoted was the black material laid over the Tyvek on the smaller ex-copper roof at the right of the picture.

Ok if sections needed replacing that's to be expected, but why didn't they paint over the fixes? It just points to an overall lack of effort and reasonable care that I hope isn't extended to the new shed.

I find it surprising that they are putting Tyvek over the existing roof over the Great Hall and presumably laying down the final copper cladding on top of that. Is that the usual way to go about it? As I recall, they actually removed the copper roof from Parliament Hill Centre Block when it was undergoing renovation.

re: Shed

They will be putting a greenroof on top of the shed.

AoD

I find it surprising that they are putting Tyvek over the existing roof over the Great Hall and presumably laying down the final copper cladding on top of that. Is that the usual way to go about it? As I recall, they actually removed the copper roof from Parliament Hill Centre Block when it was undergoing renovation. AoD

What makes you think they are not removing the old copper roof? As copper is expensive and can easily be recycled I would be very surprised if the old will remain under the Tyvek.

DSC:

I get what you're saying re: value of copper but how they operationalize the removal of the old copper after laying Tyvek on top of it is a bit beyond my imagination.

AoD

DSC:

I get what you're saying re: value of copper but how they operationalize the removal of the old copper after laying Tyvek on top of it is a bit beyond my imagination. AoD

Why do you think the old copper was not removed BEFORE they put the Tyvek down?

Because if you look at the picture I quoted on the previous page it's quite clear that Tyvek is being laid over the copper on the main roof section (on the left of the photo).

And AoD, yes I'm aware of the green roof, but I my comment was directed towards maintenance of the new shed overall. They failed to keep it in proper shape before, so I'm inclined to think they'll fail again. I'm thinking soot covered canopy glass and patchy burn grass.

It looked to me originally as if they had removed the copper roofing. In that case, the Tyvek goes on top of whatever the structure is, and underneath the final roofing material. If they hadn't, than they are probably cleaning it, and thus the Tyvek is to keep the dust particles from spreading.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

4 new vertical columns are already in place, looks like the other 4 (on the same platform) will be installed by next week. It's interesting that the platform remains fully open and functional (I believe it's 18-19)

4 new vertical columns are already in place, looks like the other 4 (on the same platform) will be installed by next week. It's interesting that the platform remains fully open and functional (I believe it's 18-19)

I think we can say that about all of the work beind done, on the various projects, at Union! People keep arriving and departing with very little disruption.

August 28th:

wVG0X.jpg

Will the long, outdoor platforms (pictured above) that extend out of the train shed be "touched up" or renovated in any capacity? I know they don't really serve much purpose anymore in terms of passenger loading (aside from The Canadian?) but it would seem a bit off to put all this great effort and time into the station and then leave the platforms as crumbly old asphalt n' wood beams.

Will the long, outdoor platforms (pictured above) that extend out of the train shed be "touched up" or renovated in any capacity? I know they don't really serve much purpose anymore in terms of passenger loading (aside from The Canadian?) but it would seem a bit off to put all this great effort and time into the station and then leave the platforms as crumbly old asphalt n' wood beams.
I'd assume that there are some serious plans is in the works, as GO has plans to start putting in two 12-car trains on some of the platforms, so that would effectively be 24-cars on some of the platforms. Hopefully some access from Yonge and Simcoe.

Speaking of The Canadian, and this may not be the best thread to bring this up in, the search for more platform capacity brings up an interesting question. Since VIA Rail has no ownership stake in the Union Station complex, has there been talk of GO sending them packing to a new station instead of sending some GO routes to Bathurst? I'd hate to see it happen, and it likely wouldn't make much of a difference, but it would open up a few platforms during the rush hour.

Back