News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Canada Goose going fur-free by end of 2022

June 24, 2021

Luxury parka maker Canada Goose said on Thursday it would stop making its products with fur by the end of 2022 as the company looks to become more environmentally conscious after years of backlash over its use of coyote fur.

Which means more plastic waste for the synthetic fur.

Do you suppose that will reduce the price?

Don't get me wrong, as I see this as a positive for animal protection, but a major issue I see is this being a blow to an already fragile market of local fur suppliers.

A family friend from northern Ontario makes a living that way, and so do many in northern indigenous communities with cultural significance. Canada Goose has said it uses local fur before (and sources some from indigenous communities) which is supposed to justify the high price... without any local sourcing I just don't see the prices being able to stay as they are without good justification.

I don't see it being a win for anyone if it actually is the case that indigenous fur suppliers are getting the boot for a few extra sales.

I don't see it being a win for anyone if it actually is the case that indigenous fur suppliers are getting the boot for a few extra sales.
My young adult colleagues tell me that Canada Goose has lost its appeal. Now, in Markham and Vancouver I’d say it’s still the winter uniform of Canadians of Chinese descent, but I’d be interested to see how sales are this winter.

In terms of the brand within Canada, I think they've peaked. There's also more competitors in high end winter jackets that have leveled the playing field with Moose Knuckle, Nobis, Rudsak, Mackage, Arc'teryx, etc.

If Canada Goose wanted to further grow then it would have to be overseas. I remember seeing it in stores in Europe already a few years ago. Although of course there's tons of competition there as well.

Don't get me wrong, as I see this as a positive for animal protection, but a major issue I see is this being a blow to an already fragile market of local fur suppliers.

A family friend from northern Ontario makes a living that way, and so do many in northern indigenous communities with cultural significance. Canada Goose has said it uses local fur before (and sources some from indigenous communities) which is supposed to justify the high price... without any local sourcing I just don't see the prices being able to stay as they are without good justification.

Similar to down, which is apparently next in the crosshairs.

Similar to down, which is apparently next in the crosshairs.
With the decline in gas-powered cars the petroleum industry is going to push to find new markets for petrochemicals, and plastics is a big one, including synthetic coat insulation. Goose down may be hard on your conscience, but it's arguably better for the environment.

Bumping this thread to share something about one of the products mentioned above.

Belly Ice Cream.

They posted earlier today, and I thought their post was worth sharing; it's indicative of why I support their products:

1648227623228.png

Back