News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

lordmandeep

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Talk about any great film you watched ever and say why you love it so much.

I noticed that violent foreign language films were getting very popular over the years.

So I checked out the best rated one, City Of God.

A film about life in a Brazilian slum in the 60-70's. Its shocking, its funny, its adventurous and its horrifying.

You do not know whether to laugh or cry at seeing 6-7 year olds firing 9mm at each other. Imo the characters are interesting but the whole way the show the lifestyle that really makes the film amazing. Its a film a 15 year old kid like and a film a 55 year film bluff can like. Its a nice mix of a gangster action film with epic crime drama.

Check it out...

One of my favourites is "Amores Perros". I won't delve into why I liked it because it's been a while since I watched it (can't remember anything), but it's definitely worth viewing.

City of God was a great movie, I agree with you on that.

Foreign films are generally a pretty good bet. They usually have to have something good going for them if they get limited or general release here. The problem is many people have an aversion to subtitles, which is a shame. Dubbing films is usually an insult to the film.

A few favorates that come to mind, Pan's Labyrinth, Quill (pre-Marley & Me), La Vie En Rose, Run Lola Run, C.R.A.Z.Y. (is Quebec considered foreign?!) almost anything from Catherine Breillat, Michael Haneke & Takashi Miike (check out IMDB). There's great film coming out of the UK; Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Hot Fuzz, 28 Days Later... and one of my favorate '80's films from Sweden, Montenegro. For horror aficionados there's some stunning stuff coming out of France in the last 4 or 5 years; Frontière(s), High Tension (aka Haute tension), Inside and the hit of last September's Midnight Madness at TIFF, Martyrs. Martyrs just came out on DVD in Canada so copies are around, it gets a US release on DVD & Blu ray on April 28th.

Last edited:
Downfall from Germany has now become one of the best films about WW2 from the German perspective.

It also got famous over the Jokes about it when Hitler goes on a rant.

I'm seconding dt toronto geek's suggestion of British film.

Almost all of the films I ever watch are from the UK with a super soft spot for gangster films like the afore-mentioned Snatch and Lock, Stock.

Guy Ritchie's latest 'RocknRolla' was pretty fun and a touch different from his earlier stuff.

I'm seconding dt toronto geek's suggestion of British film.

Almost all of the films I ever watch are from the UK with a super soft spot for gangster films like the afore-mentioned Snatch and Lock, Stock.

Guy Ritchie's latest 'RocknRolla' was pretty fun and a touch different from his earlier stuff.

Do check out "Hot Fuzz", it's from director Edgar Wright who also did "Shaun of the Dead". Very similar humour. Also, sort of related, check out the TV UK show from 1999-2001, "Spaced". It's also from Edgar Wright and is one of the funniest, quirkiest shows to come out of England in a decade. It finally came out on DVD on this side of the pond a few months ago.

As I mentioned earlier about great horror coming out of France, "Martyrs" is indeed out on DVD in Canada, I saw it at 7-24 Video (Church+Wellesley) today. This is not for the faint of heart and this is the complete, uncut version. The US DVD & Blu ray version will be out on April 28th which I presume (hope!) will also be uncut because this is a Blu ray worth owning.

Last edited:
Do check out "Hot Fuzz", it's from director Edgar Wright who also did "Shaun of the Dead". Very similar humour. Also, sort of related, check out the UK show from 1999-2001 "Spaced". It's also from Edgar Wright and is one of the funniest, quirkiest shows to come out of England in a decade. It finally came out on DVD on this side of the pond a few months ago.

I enjoyed 'Hot Fuzz' a lot. I couldn't stop laughing everytime they said, "the greater good". Also enjoyed your other choices, Pan's Labrinyth, 28 Days/Weeks Later.

"The Science of Sleep" (Science des rêves, La) is a wonderful film, also one of my favs.

I've seen Hot Fuzz and loved it as well! I found it to be a lot better than Shaun of the Dead, or at least I enjoyed it more.

I'll try to check out Spaced though, thanks. :)

I still haven't seen 28 Weeks Later which is kinda bothering me cause I own 28 Days Later and really enjoy it.

I've seen Hot Fuzz and loved it as well! I found it to be a lot better than Shaun of the Dead, or at least I enjoyed it more.

I'll try to check out Spaced though, thanks. :)

I still haven't seen 28 Weeks Later which is kinda bothering me cause I own 28 Days Later and really enjoy it.

Yes, Hot Fuzz was much better than Shaun of the Dead. I've watched Hot Fuzz probably 8 or 10 times and I still find new details or references that I missed previously and I still laugh.

RUN, don't walk and rent Spaced. They only did two seasons, 14 episodes in total and each is brilliant save for the first episode which is basically the setup. It also features Edgar Wright regulars, Simon Pegg & Nick Frost.

28 Days Later is terrific (from Danny Boyle who of course also directed 2008's best film Slumdog Millionaire), 28 Weeks Later is OK & worth a look but it's not as good as the original.

Re: "Martyrs" (that I wrote about above), if your into this type of film avoid the Canadian DVD release, it's crap. I saw it at Ryerson during TIFF, I d/l a 720p HD copy (no subtitles) so I know how this film should look. The picture on the Canadian DVD is grainy (it's not supposed to be), the compression is high, colours muted and worse of all, it's too dark visually. Wait and grab the US version on DVD or Blu ray, it comes out April 28th.

Avoid this version
martyrs_CAN.jpg

Rent this version after April 28th
Martyrs_US.jpg

it is funny how many botched Region 1 DVD releases there are of non-American films. If it's not really stupid cover art (Exotica, 24 Hour Party People), then it's unneccesary dubbing (Mad Max series), censorship (Kung Fu Hustle) or crappy picture quality (Hero).

well I change the topic...

A film that could have been the best of all time but failed...

Passion of the Christ.

The movie had an awesome story and really the best parts in the film or those scenes which are usually corny everywhere else. Where Jesus is delivering his messages, where the man picks up the cross, where his mother meets up Jesus in the end.

Really I think the film would have benefited from having more sermons.

However these legendary scenes, great storyline is just overshadowed by the flogging scene.

Its a B film, however I am sad at how it could have been one of the best films ever.

I saw Taken over the weekend. It was actually so hilarious!!
It was about a retired CIA agent, whose daughter goes to Paris for a U2 concert, and is then kidnapped. Besides some parts being really disturbing, and the storyline being, as one would expect from an action movie, pretty shallow, the movie was so funny. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Back