News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Insane, but when you take inflation into account, Titanic is still ahead.

The top 25 domestic box office films of all time, ticket price inflation (2010 $) taken into account.

gross.jpg

This chart shows estimated attendance figures for the top 25

gross2.jpg

Source

Just saw An Education, highly reccommend it. It was funny endearing and very satisfying. On the other hand I was coerced into seeing Edge of Darkness....the new Mel Gibson movie, OMG this movie was shit. It was actually quite funny as i laughed a few times and got some stares. I felt as if i was watching a womens television production.

I second An Education, terrific.
I saw I Killed My Mother at varsity last night... absolutely fantastic stuff for a 19 year old Montreal filmmaker...

"Inception". My mind is still spinning and pondering the possibilities of the film - since Thursday! See it on the IMAX screen if you can, it's a wonderfully crafted film that will leave you scratching your head for a while. I can't wait to see it again in hopes of finding clues that I missed the first go 'round.

I can't stand movies that make me think that hard. I go for entertainment, not for making me ponder a million questions after.

I can't stand movies that make me think that hard. I go for entertainment...

No, you go for mindless entertainment. And you are not alone. It is exactly why studio executives changed movies like Blade Runner and Payback. It's so that audience doesn't have to "think that hard." Thinking is just too tiring for most people.

Just saw The Kids Are All Right. Excellent film, thoroughly entertaining and thought provoking. 95% on rottentomatoes.com.

I didn't want to read all 9 pages of this thread at work, so I'm sorry if I'm re-posting other people's recommendations:

You guys should watch "A Single Man". It's really good! Who would have thought a fashion designer would be able to write and direct a movie so well on his first attempt?

The best foreign movie I've watched recently is "The Secret in Their Eyes". OhMyGosh! SOOOOO GOOD.

Those two are both recent, i.e. from 2009 or whatever.

Here are some older movies that many people have missed, but are a must-see for people with taste.

Linklater's TAPE (2001)

Rushmore from 1998

The Killing Fields and The Mission from early 80's - both by Roland Joffe, both fantastic. TKF is easily the best "vietnam-ish" flick of all time. For once, it focuses on the people who matter - THE CIVILIANS.

You won't believe me, but there are still a lot of people out there who haven't seen a Kubrick movie other than Full Metal Jacket. If you are one of them, immediately drop what you are doing and watch A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Fantastic.

Last edited:
I didn't want to read all 9 pages of this thread at work, so I'm sorry if I'm re-posting other people's recommendations:

You guys should watch "A Single Man". It's really good! Who would have thought a fashion designer would be able to write and direct a movie so well on his first attempt?

The best foreign movie I've watched recently is "The Secret in Their Eyes". OhMyGosh! SOOOOO GOOD.

Those two are both recent, i.e. from 2009 or whatever.

Here are some older movies that many people have missed, but are a must-see for people with taste.

Linklater's TAPE (2001)

Rushmore from 1998

The Killing Fields and The Mission from early 80's - both by Roland Joffe, both fantastic. TKF is easily the best "vietnam-ish" flick of all time. For once, it focuses on the people who matter - THE CIVILIANS.

You won't believe me, but there are still a lot of people out there who haven't seen a Kubrick movie other than Full Metal Jacket. If you are one of them, immediately drop what you are doing and watch A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Fantastic.

A Clockwork Orange is not for the light hearted or weak stomached. It's very very intense and violent. I've watched it a few times. I can't actually watch it anymore. I think with age I have become less hardcore haha.

If your a fan of Joan Rivers, "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work" is a sensational documentary now on at the Varsity cinemas.

I've only watched one Stanley Kubrick movie (2001: A Space Odyssey) and I thought it sucked.

Last night, I watched 12 Angry Men for the first time. Now THAT is a great movie...

A Clockwork Orange is not for the light hearted or weak stomached. It's very very intense and violent. I've watched it a few times. I can't actually watch it anymore. I think with age I have become less hardcore haha.

I don't know if you noticed but "Misfits" is shot in a few of the same locations that "Clockwork Orange" was filmed on nearly 40 years ago. Cool eh?

Back