News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

@Avenuer roughly half of this concept is already built -- it is the federal building on the NorthWest corner of 97th Street and Jasper Avenue and is true to the model. The tallest most norther portion of the tower trio is delayed until fed office need is demonstrated. The hotel was part of the grander scheme but was never built -- it was to be located on Jasper between the Alberta Hotel and the fed building.

So as far as "dodged bullets", this one created more than a flesh wound since it largely already exists.

Does anyone remember the Aurora Towers project from early C2E days? I can’t seem to find a rendering. The whole project spanned the area from 102 st to 104 st between 105 and 106 Ave.

It received huge hype back in the day for being THE upcoming catalyst for downtown. People were pumped, and rightfully so as this predated Epcor tower.

But I also remember thinking the towers looked like hot trash.

Whoever finds a picture of it wins a swig from my flask when we are all riding the VLRT.

The Galleria & Stantec RFP era; I am unfamiliar with all of the bits and pieces with this once, but I recall a 2mil? sqft monster tower as part of the proposal and funding plan.

Thought that swig was mine after I found the OG SSP thread for it, but alas the images are all lost to the image host ghost.

Does anyone remember the Aurora Towers project from early C2E days?

Whoever finds a picture of it wins a swig from my flask when we are all riding the VLRT.
Are you looking for this ?
49716470-94AB-440D-9099-590E1AD0F7B3.png

B20EC0CD-A375-4DBE-8577-D0B4AD9FBE63.png

It’s something. I don’t mind Tower 1 rendering for 2006.

Here’s a link for more details and pics

Last edited:
That's the one, you get the fireball whiskey Jay.

Heh. Not as bad as I remember tbh.
Deal! What a motivator!! Haha

It not bad for it’s time. I bet it would look cool if proposed today.
If I could just copy the towers and paste them at Meadowlawk, or Londonderry even Westmount mall. Would like to see development come to mall parking lots tbh.

Superstore with parking lot near 101 St/104 Ave which is now Rogers Place/Ice District.
That reminds me of the Save On and the associated strip mall by 102nd Ave and 109 St. The grocery store is nice, and I'm not sure if something of that size could fit into a tower like the Oliver Safeway, but the rest of the businesses would have been so much better as part of mixed-use developments. So much parking lot. So much empty space above them. And all at the heart of Jasper Ave. Even 3-6 storey buildings would be better than what's there.
20220824_174448.jpg

That reminds me of the Save On and the associated strip mall by 102nd Ave and 109 St. The grocery store is nice, and I'm not sure if something of that size could fit into a tower like the Oliver Safeway, but the rest of the businesses would have been so much better as part of mixed-use developments. So much parking lot. So much empty space above them. And all at the heart of Jasper Ave. Even 3-6 storey buildings would be better than what's there.
View attachment 422470

Both this area and the Best Buy/Harveys just north on 109th have such potential to be amazing mixed use areas. Great multiuse pathway/bike network connections, close to downtown, grant mac, the new lrt line. Making these less parking oriented would also help to cut down on the number of cars driving on 109th.

Back