News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There’s something tremendously ironic about LRT-cheerleader Miller getting more subways built than any other mayor. Meanwhile his two pro-subway successors have failed to even add a single subway stop to the network.

I really wish that Miller had ran again in 2010. I don’t know that he would’ve won, but if he did, TYSSE, SELRT, FWLRT, SLRT would all be completed by now, and ECLRT would be on the verge of completion. And then consider the opportunity costs: if the SLRT had been completed, we could today focus our time and money on more pressing needs, like the DRL, rather than debating the same projects over and over and over again.

I wonder if he regrets not running again. He’s still very engaged in municipal politics to this day.
He can thank Del Duca Sorbara for the Spadina extension, and that fact part of it was already in the network expansion plan. If he wasn't so adamant on putting in-median LRT on Sheppard and having it prioritised, and instead include a line 4 extension as part of Transit City, we'd be futher along today.

Last edited:
He can thank Del Duca for the Spadina extension, and that fact part of it was already in the network expansion plan. If he wasn't so adamant on putting in-median LRT on Sheppard and having it prioritised, and instead include a line 4 extension as part of Transit City, we'd be futher along today.

Did you even read the thread?

[Miller] was asking the province for money for both extending the Sheppard subway further east and Spadina to Steeles right from the beginning. After that was getting little traction, he pushed Transit City.

He can thank Del Duca for the Spadina extension, and that fact part of it was already in the network expansion plan.
How so? Del Duca entered politics in 2012, long after construction on the Spadina extension started. The section north of Steeles wasn't in the plan!

The north of Stelles aspect was none of Toronto's business because they weren't paying for it.
How so? TTC operating is paid for by the city. Region of York isn't paying operating costs. The province's gas tax contribution hasn't increased because of additional operating costs (except perhaps a pittance for a small overall ridership increase), and ridership doesn't cover all the operating costs.

Anyway, we will find out in a week's time what all of this means. Hopefully RER wins the day for a downtown tunnel with a subway frequency.
The budget has never held that level of detail before - they might list one example of something - though that doesn't mean it will actually happen.

As for a downtown RER tunnel? Out of this government? They are slowing down spending, and looking for ways to build with less money. A downtown RER tunnel is certainly not happening - unless they manage to sell off the entire Union Station rail corridor and someone builds towers on top of it, turning the existing tracks into a tunnel!

How so? Del Duca entered politics in 2012, long after construction on the Spadina extension started. The section north of Steeles wasn't in the plan!
I said part of the extension. But I remember he has something to do with the extension either way, or maybe it was someone else in the previous government.
EDIT: so it was Sorbara, not Del Duca.

Did you even read the thread?
That's exactly what I was responding to. I think you misread my post. Actually I am not even sure which part of the post you are referencing to, Spadina or Sheppard.
Spadina - see my comment above
Sheppard - shouldn't have been be the priority in Transit City.

Last edited:
Sheppard - shouldn't have been be the priority in Transit City.

I've always thought we should just wait on Sheppard until the demand is there to extend the subway to STC.

I think thats even what the last term of the provincial liberals did do; they deferred Sheppard LRT and I think this was the intent.

Finch LRT should have been first, or at the same time as Eglinton, even though Eglinton is more important simply because it would have been done asap and shown what LRT and Transit City is all about.

I've always thought we should just wait on Sheppard until the demand is there to extend the subway to STC.

I think thats even what the last term of the provincial liberals did do; they deferred Sheppard LRT and I think this was the intent.

Finch LRT should have been first, or at the same time as Eglinton, even though Eglinton is more important simply because it would have been done asap and shown what LRT and Transit City is all about.
Should a Finch LRT from Pearson to Malvern been completed before any rapid transit on Sheppard (including Line 4) have been built?

With the DRL North, SSE and RER at play, literally every single one of us will be dead before that happens.

STC and NYCC are both far too small for there to be significant demand between the centres (the whole point of Line 4 in the first place), and east-west demand along the Sheppard corridor will forever be dilute because of all the faster intersecting rapid transit lines.

This really speaks to the danger of not having a consistent, long-term plan. Sheppard should’ve never been served by anything more than BRT.

Last edited:
Unless DRL North and RER go to a current Sheppard station, Line 4 will get extended.

DRL North will go to Sheppard. Along with RER, getting the DRL to Sheppard is perhaps the single most critical transport project for the health of our region. Yonge Line (including YNSE), Eglinton Line, B-D Line and the broader development of York Region are all dependent on its implementation.

DRL North will go to Sheppard. Along with RER, getting the DRL to Sheppard is perhaps the single most critical transport project for the health of our region. Yonge Line (including YNSE), Eglinton Line, B-D Line and the broader development of York Region are all dependent on its implementation.

So, once it is decided on where they will connect with Line 4, then there may be new construction.

So, once it is decided on where they will connect with Line 4, then there may be new construction.

Yeah it might get extended to Vic Park if the DRL goes there. Other than that, I can’t see any rational for easterly extensions.

Even in the absence of RER and SSE, the Sheppard east extension was only expected to add another 3,000 peak hour riders.

Beyond that, we also need to consider that Sheppard East extension is likely to have a net negative impact on travel times for a substantial portion of commuters. The subway will have both wider stop spacing and lower frequencies than the BRT/LRT. The subway of course has faster travel times, but the trip along Sheppard has to be of substantial length for the faster subway travel times to make up for the longer waiting and station access times. If passengers predominantly only travel along Sheppard for a few kilometres before transferring to a north-south line, it’s very likely that the subway will result in overall slower trip times.

Yeah it might get extended to Vic Park if the DRL goes there. Other than that, I can’t see any rational for easterly extensions.

Even in the absence of RER and SSE, the Sheppard east extension was only expected to add another 3,000 peak hour riders.

Beyond that, we also need to consider that Sheppard East extension is likely to have a net negative impact on travel times for a substantial portion of commuters. The subway will have both wider stop spacing and lower frequencies than the BRT/LRT. The subway of course has faster travel times, but the trip along Sheppard has to be of substantial length for the faster subway travel times to make up for the longer waiting and station access times. If passengers predominantly only travel along Sheppard for a few kilometres before transferring to a north-south line, it’s very likely that the subway will result in overall slower trip times.

What really should be done is a western extension to the airport. That would give this line usefulness.

Back