News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Possibly.

I should have been clearer before. It isn't possible.
Possible name origins all involve the world Eglinton without any change in spelling.

Here are some examples of places and people that predate our Eglinton, one of which is the likely origin.

Eglinton Castle in Scotland
Earl of Eglinton
Eglinton Tournament of 1839

I should have been clearer before. It isn't possible.
Possible name origins all involve the world Eglinton without any change in spelling.

Here are some examples of places and people that predate our Eglinton, one of which is the likely origin.

Eglinton Castle in Scotland
Earl of Eglinton
Eglinton Tournament of 1839

Sorry, I guess meant in the long long ago before the name "Eglinton" formed (e.g the Middle or Dark Ages). Just the fact that it has a "ton" (i.e town) added to it leads me to believe that there was a standalone name called "Eglin" before "Eglinton" (which would equate to Eglin's Town). My guess is that even before that, there may have been variations between Elgin, Eglin, Egling, Aeglin, etc - all with similar origins. With Germanic, Galic, French, Norse morphing into Old English, then later modern English - there were bound to be variations. And when the monarchy forced people to have last names, or when immigrants arrived in Canada, those that didn't know how to write well and had to document themselves could've created new variations on the name. So unless it's a modern typo (like Ford's "Eglington") in a way all the variations could be right.

Though maybe you're correct, and Eglin/Eglinton is the true name and always has been.

I believe Eglinton actually originally had a second G but it was dropped somewhere in the early 20th century. Its just like how local historians like to pronounce Spadina as Spadeena, the original pronunciation.

Eglinton Ave. Was named after former mayor Art Eglinton. It's a fact!

I am happy to see this thread become popular, albeit for the wrong reasons.
In hindsight, I should have named this thread topic

"Eglinton vs Eglington: Ford's Version of Tomayto, Tomahto"

</powderkeg>

Wow! I had no idea that website existed. Time to comment!
Metrolinxengage.com existed for the better part of half a year for the mundane purpose of naming stations on Eglinton Crosstown but has suddenly gotten WAY more involved/interesting to a transit advocate due to GO RER.

Exploring further today:
Some site design, navigation and UI quirks could be improved, but it is altogether not too shabby for a government-made public engagement site in this country. (Seen way worse -- TEDtalk). The front landing page should be made much more revealingly interesting, though.

Last edited:
They could add maglev trains every 90 seconds for hundreds of km if they want but it won't make much difference. Everything revolves around the fares and if they are too high then people won't take the service.

If they go ahead with this stupid "fare for value of service" concept than all this is a waste of time and money. This is the antithesis of providing quality service to all people...............in healthcare they call it "two-tiered" service. In other words if you have the money you get great service and if you don't then your service sucks. The idea of charging more for GO/RER than for regular transit is also a grotesque waste of operational funding. If you are going from downtown to Ajax and you can't afford the GO service then your trip requires 2 hours of transit usage as opposed to half an hour of usage if you could afford the GO train.

These higher fares for "better quality service" are also a stellar way to bring rapid transit construction in the entire area to a screeching halt. Every rapid transit line, whether that be subway, GO, RER,ST, will be seen as public money going into a limo service for those who can afford it and letting the people who rely on transit as their only financial option for transportation having to endure even worse service. As an example, most people believe that a Relief line is needed and should be built and I'm sure polls would agree. However, ask people how much they want the Relief line when they find out that to take the line is going to cost then an extra dollar and watch the support for the line collapse.

If Metrolinx really wants a regional system then it must be one based on distance and not the type of service or all these new stations and trains do little except drain operational and infrastructure funding from the existing system that the majority take.

The City Report that was posted to Executive Committee today states

As this is a provincially owned project, Metrolinx is currently undertaking work to optimize the Eglinton LRT West option.

So far, ML has not put anything about Crosstown West on this site. One would hope this would happen.

- Paul

What's borderline scandalous is that Metrolinx thinks the "ridership" and "time savings" of a Park Lawn GO (Humber area) is ranked as "Low". Surely you jest, with that massive Etobicoke South condo boom + 10 years (aka after RER electrification), with residents wanting quick access to downtown. Perhaps they were basing this on the poor response to the Liberty Village riders at Exhibition GO.

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/park-lawn

The comments board for this station is all agog over Metrolinx thinking it has "Low" transit potential.

What's borderline scandalous is that Metrolinx thinks the "ridership" and "time savings" of a Park Lawn GO (Humber area) is ranked as "Low". Surely you jest, with that massive Etobicoke South condo boom + 10 years (aka after RER electrification), with residents wanting quick access to downtown. Perhaps they were basing this on the poor response to the Liberty Village riders at Exhibition GO.

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/park-lawn

The comments board for this station is all agog over Metrolinx thinking it has "Low" transit potential.

If Park Lawn was in the 905, Metrolinx would be singing a different tune.

Ya.. I'm very glad others are scandalized vs only me. This station will happen though... I no longer have any doubts.

I've indirectly heard the new plan is to relocate Mimico to somewhere between Legion Rd and just east of Park Lawn. This will require a complete rebuild of the Mimico Creek bridge to accommodate platforms. Legion Rd will be extended as part of the project.

This allows Metrolinx to effectively serve HBS, Mystic Point, and connect well to historic Mimico.

This also explains why Metrolinx has essentially stopped the rebuild of Mimico. Work on the east tunnel and new station building was supposed to start two years ago.

I recently read Steve Munro's discussions around the lower TTC passenger counts in 2016. I was very interested that it assumes a Metropass rider uses 73 rides a month as part of the count. This has been constant and I don't think has changed over the years. Crazy that they have not monitored via a sample or some other method.

I think you need around 50 rides before it is economical.

Based on the increase in usage of the Metropass (due to higher incentives to use) I would not be surprised if this is no longer a valid assumption. How many people would have more than 2.4 rides a day (including weekends)? If you assume you do not use transit on weekends it turns into 3.5 rides a day. Or if you only use 2 trips a weekday (to/from work) you would need 30 "pleasure" trips a month.

Some people would use it to this extent. However, the vast majority I expect only use it 50 rides a month. I'm guessing the average is around 55 rides.

You may ask so what? Well it impacts the subsidy per trip, the fare collection assumptions if there is a cap on rides per month, etc.

Subsidy per ride -- Using my above broad assumptions this means that the TTC receives about $1.00 per ride as a subsidy (versus the $0.87 as advertised). We would not be an outlier but similar to NYC in the subsidy.

TTC numbers - if the number of rides per year is wrong, what else is wrong? What data can the TTC Management rely on to make informed decisions (or at least should be relying upon)

Metropass take-up -- now that users know exactly how many rides they are using post-Presto, how many would want a Metropass? The economics of it changes once the users are more self-selection (lower use ones now will be on a per ride basis). This means only large users will want it (and hence the price should increase to match this change in user profile).

Future pricing scheme -- How do we make sure any changes to the pricing scheme are revenue neutral? How do we know what the impact will be?

Back