News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.6K     0 

I still don't really understand what happened and what it actually means for development or communities. So it's approved as a now non-statutory planning guidance document to help build local area plans? Isn't that what it's intended purpose was from the start?

Perhaps I am forgetting the rationale for why the guidebook was a needed thing in the first place. The revised local area plans totally makes sense to me (larger, more efficient, easier to update and keep current) but I don't really understand the level of drama around the guidebook and how it connects to the land use bylaw that actually does things (I think?).

The LAPs will now have to stand alone with the guidebook as existing at the time effectively appended to them. So if the city wants to change something in the guidebook and make it apply city-wide, every LAP will have to be amended.

If that isn’t done (and it probably won’t be), then the LAPs will diverge from one another more and more over time (as the ARPs have), making rules and interpretations less and less consistent. That may eventually make the LAPs just as irrelevant to land use changes as the stale ARPs have become. It may also make it easier for certain communities (looking at you, Elbow Park) to duck modernizations to community planning over the next few decades.

This is all pretty speculative so hard to say exactly how the politics and administration decisions interact over time but that’s my guess.

The LAPs will now have to stand alone with the guidebook as existing at the time effectively appended to them. So if the city wants to change something in the guidebook and make it apply city-wide, every LAP will have to be amended.

If that isn’t done (and it probably won’t be), then the LAPs will diverge from one another more and more over time (as the ARPs have), making rules and interpretations less and less consistent. That may eventually make the LAPs just as irrelevant to land use changes as the stale ARPs have become. It may also make it easier for certain communities (looking at you, Elbow Park) to duck modernizations to community planning over the next few decades.

This is all pretty speculative so hard to say exactly how the politics and administration decisions interact over time but that’s my guess.
How I've interpreted it too. Once the 10 year LAP process is done, then the 2030 Land Use Bylaw can be a 'great harmonization' and consolidation.

Fuck city stuff takes forever!!

Oh god. I joined Nextdoor (Altadore) not really realizing what it was and now I deeply regret it. It's all just anxiety-ridden baby boomers freaking out that they saw a suspicious van driving down their street, or a bobcat in the local park, and (of course) every NIMBY cliche you can imagine. They see RNDSQR as public enemy number one and they're all completely up in arms over the Guidebook. I've held myself back from posting because I just do not want to deal with the headache of getting into an argument with unreasonable people. The other day someone literally posted about "suspicious people" taking pictures of a house that was for sale! I wish this was an exaggeration, but it's not.

I have this theory that all of the upper-class retirees in this city suffer a deep level of status anxiety rooted in a secret feeling that the wealth they accumulated during oil booms is actually undeserved and one day it will all be taken away from them. It's the only way I can make sense of the amount of fear I'm observing.
Dear god, I joined Nextdoor too and had the same experience. 90% of the posts consist of:
- a cat is missing
- someone wearing a hoodie was spotted walking down the street,
- a bobcat and or coyote was seen.
🤦‍♂️

Back