News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad to see so much agreement on the subject of handguns.

With the majority of public support, what is stopping the ban?

the law.

Gun registration and gun insurance, as well. Liability should be born, in part, by the owner.

The majority of "urban Toronto" supports a handgun ban, not the majority of the public. In the Canadian context, a handgun ban is one of those things (like "getting tough" or "fixing climate change") that politicians like to play on without actually doing anything. Most guns used to commit crime are imported from the US to begin with, so banning is a rather empty gesture. We are never actually going to stop the flow of guns (the security necessary would cripple trade).

We would be better off legalizing Cannabis, thereby hurting the ability of gang's to purchase US guns. And of course all of the social policies and increased policing that have been shown to reduce crime. Miller's "handgun" ban will have zero impact on crime, consume municipal resources and unfortunately distract people from the success of TPS's anti-gang strategies. TARVIS is believe. We should focus on that, not empty gestures.

To buy ammunition in Canada, one does need to have a firearms license. Except if one makes their own. Shouldn't the parts to make ammunition require a firearms license as well.

If one does need a firearms license to buy ammunition in Canada, is the information recorded? I have seen websites where they ask for the firearm license information, but do they have to physically match them up?

The majority of "urban Toronto" supports a handgun ban, not the majority of the public. In the Canadian context, a handgun ban is one of those things (like "getting tough" or "fixing climate change") that politicians like to play on without actually doing anything. Most guns used to commit crime are imported from the US to begin with, so banning is a rather empty gesture. We are never actually going to stop the flow of guns (the security necessary would cripple trade).

We would be better off legalizing Cannabis, thereby hurting the ability of gang's to purchase US guns. And of course all of the social policies and increased policing that have been shown to reduce crime. Miller's "handgun" ban will have zero impact on crime, consume municipal resources and unfortunately distract people from the success of TPS's anti-gang strategies. TARVIS is believe. We should focus on that, not empty gestures.

This subject started under the Toronto Mayor thread and has been moved to "Toronto Issues". When I say a majority supports a ban I am talking about in Toronto and the suburbs. I'd like to see the polls you are talking about regarding the entire nation. Where can I read them?

Legalizing pot is a no brainer, but I don't see why we cannot ban hand guns at the same time, along with stiff penalties for violating the law. It sound like a win/win to me.

This subject started under the Toronto Mayor thread and has been moved to "Toronto Issues". When I say a majority supports a ban I am talking about in Toronto and the suburbs. I'd like to see the polls you are talking about regarding the entire nation. Where can I read them?

Legalizing pot is a no brainer, but I don't see why we cannot ban hand guns at the same time, along with stiff penalties for violating the law. It sound like a win/win to me.

I would suspect it has to do with the way laws work in Canada. We have a criminal code that is applied evenly throughout Canada, unlike the US where each state makes it own law. Therefore, no distinction is ever made for specific areas under the CC. And I wonder if a geographic restriction could be challenged under the constitution. I would love to hear a legal opinion on this.

I would seriously doubt that most Canadians would support such a sweeping ban though. Although Canada doesn't have a gun favouring constituency (even most farmers just use basic rifles to protect their property), I suspect most Canadians would be suspicious of laws that restrict freedoms without actually achieving anything. A handgun ban might be like that.

What's more while there is tons of crime out west, for example, very little of it is gun violence...that's largely a Toronto problem. As a result, a handgun ban is not really on the radar anywhere else.

No it is a freedom down South...

However nothing in Canada says it is...

Handguns should be banned however I don't really care about Farmers and hunters having shotguns and rifles.

Why not just impose serious penalties for handgun use?

Look..owning a handgun is not the issue...it's the use of the handgun in a crime. Although, of course, I realize one facilitates the other...in any case...if you commit a crime with a handgun...harsh penalty, no matter the crime...even if you hold up your local 7/11. If you murder or attempt to murder someone with a handgun, boom (pun intended), 20 year sentence.

Of course, the bleeding heart criminal justice system probably wouldn't go for this.

Yes the guys who shoot people are poor and the system is against them.;)

There are million of immigrants over 200 years that had the same problem, and yet most of them never resorted to crime and had to work dead end to make a living.

Like really you drop out of school and then expect the govt to give these people jobs?

Screw you, work at McDonalds like most people are doing who chose to drop out of high school. It does not giving anyone the justification to go around shooting people and selling crack and drugs.

The main problem in Toronto is that we have gotten "soft".

We have gotten soft on panhandlers and on criminals in our idiotic attempt to make a nanny welfare state in Toronto and it is failing and we have forgotten the people who really need our help.

Though I support harsher sentencing when a gun is used during a crime, harsh penalties don't really do anything to reduce crime. If they did, the US, especially the south, would have greatly reduced crime rates. This hasn't happened. For the most part, petty criminals are morons and if they were thinking ahead they wouldn't do the crime in the first place.

Clearly, our "soft" approach works better than the any US one does, whether it is in Arizona or Massachusetts, if actually having much less crime is your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back