News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Facebook is a paradox: signing up to one of those "advocacy" groups on there means nothing in actuality, but if you get tens of thousands of members practically overnight it serves as a poll of sorts. Harper's decision to prorogue is very, very, very, very unpopular and its obvious when a FB protest jumps that far so quickly. So the tone of this is that he's made a mistake, which is an opportunity for the Liberals (and the NDP and Bloc for that matter).

Facebook is a paradox: signing up to one of those "advocacy" groups on there means nothing in actuality, but if you get tens of thousands of members practically overnight it serves as a poll of sorts. Harper's decision to prorogue is very, very, very, very unpopular and its obvious when a FB protest jumps that far so quickly. So the tone of this is that he's made a mistake, which is an opportunity for the Liberals (and the NDP and Bloc for that matter).

My bet once the Olympics start in Van and Canada racks up the medals and our national pride swells, people will soon forget these political games. Harper will fully exploit our successes at the Games with lots and lots of photo ops. Canadians will see Harper in his full glory lapping it up as the PM. Canadians have short political memories. Move on and join the Facebook group Vancouver 2010 Olympics and have some fun.

My bet once the Olympics start in Van and Canada racks up the medals and our national pride swells, people will soon forget these political games. Harper will fully exploit our successes at the Games with lots and lots of photo ops. Canadians will see Harper in his full glory lapping it up as the PM. Canadians have short political memories. Move on and join the Facebook group Vancouver 2010 Olympics and have some fun.

I'm not so certain. By then Canadians will have had a month's notice that people are complaining about politicians not being at work. They more they see CPC politicians in Vancouver, the more they will be reminded they are not at work.

Of course, once Parliament resumes (assuming no election), there will be renewed calls for those documents to be produced. This issue is not going to go away.

The Olympics might well be a distraction ... but they only last 2 weeks. Though Canada racking up the medals? Given that Canada hasn't won a single gold medal during a Canadian Olympics, is the opposite true?

No, Canada has a solid team. We'll be in the top 3 in medals.

No, Canada has a solid team. We'll be in the top 3 in medals.

Sadly, there are some who would rather see Canada fail to win medals in Vancouver just to score cheap political shots. The thought of Harper being Prime Minister at the Olympics is hard for them to accept. They would rather see Canada's Olympic team falter and point the finger at Harper and say "it's your fault". Pathetic.

Sadly, there are some who would rather see Canada fail to win medals in Vancouver just to score cheap political shots. The thought of Harper being Prime Minister at the Olympics is hard for them to accept. They would rather see Canada's Olympic team falter and point the finger at Harper and say "it's your fault". Pathetic.

Which is more pathetic - individuals who wish that Canada fail to win medals as a cheap political shot against the sitting PM, or a sitting PM, being in a position of power, wanted to rub off the glory of Canadian athletes whose successes have absolutely nothing to do with the actions of the said individual? What of cheap political shots? Food for your thoughts.

AoD

Which is more pathetic - individuals who wish that Canada fail to win medals as a cheap political shot against the sitting PM, or a sitting PM, being in a position of power, wanted to rub off the glory of Canadian athletes whose successes have absolutely nothing to do with the actions of the said individual? What of cheap political shots? Food for your thoughts.
AoD
The federal government is footing almost 700 Million dollars towards this event and the countless millions towards athletes training. I'm sure most Canadians don't mind if the sitting PM partakes in the glory of the Games.

billonlogan:

That umpteen million is going to be spent regardless of who is in power, the moment Vancouver got the games. The issue here isn't whether he shows up or not or whether he has a legitimate reason to be there - it is to what end he is using the event for - vis-a-vis the purpose of the government and the operations of the Canadian state.

AoD

Last edited:
In that case, perhaps Jean Chretien should take a bow? He was Prime Minister when Vancouver was awarded the games. ;)

I fail to see why Stephen Harper is a better prime minister because of the number of medals that are handed out at the games. Should he be given the credit too when any Canadian has a form of success? Should he "bask in the glory" of any Canadian whose ever received a service from the government and makes it big?

Nothing could ruin these games more than politics. I watch it for the sports and couldn't care less about a political party that screams "me too! me too!"

The straw that broke the camel's back? Harper doesn't believe in government so why is he our prime minister?

Does anyone else like the path that Ignatieff is taking? I thought that he was still a goner even after Harper's apparent hatred for democracy and doing the right thing, but it looks like a vacation sorted it all out. Talking to the kids is really a good idea for the Liberals, and what he's getting in the media seems like it's gonna warm a large part of the country right up to him. I was worried about him at first, but if he's got a plan now, or maybe even if he keeps going like he is, things could change pretty rapidly.

Back