News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Bwahahaha! The truth really is stranger than fiction. Here's another contest idea: after he gets run out of Hamilton, which town will he end up in next? Niagara Falls? Buffalo? Kitchener?

I hope for Harry's sake he's actually done some pre-consultation with the city this time...

The issues surrounding Harry aside, I think this could be quite a good project. I don't know about the tower portion of it, but I think there could be great potential with the hotel/residences in the current building. And as a side note, it's a relatively small project by comparison to 1 King W so the possibility of Harry messing this up is quite a bit smaller (thought I wouldn't count it out completely, haha).

In terms of the project, by limiting the hotel floors to four they should be able to maintain low vacancies. And I think residences in the rest of the building could be a great change for Hamilton. Lots of students live there and this could be a great opportunity for investors to purchase a unit and rent out to the students.

I don't know how well the economic situation of Hamilton is, but without having done any research I question if the area could maintain high enough prices to make such a project economically feasible (the tower portion). The article says the entire project would cost about 300MM. Prices seem to be nearly half of what they are in Toronto (about 250 or so/sqft) so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that those numbers just won't add up.

But again, the repositioning of the current hotel could be quite a nice project

This seems more like a joke now than a serious development. Had he gone in with a reasonable scaled project and with the confidence of secure finances and an effort to turn his reputation around, than I would give him credit for it, but now he just looks even more incompetent.

It apparently only costs $30 million and it will be finished by Christmas 2009. Is he on crack?

That's for Phase I to renovate the Royal Connaught Hotel first, his target is to start the renovation and expansion of the Hotel by June and have 18 months of construction and re-open Christmas 2009 with a gaint Christmas Party in Hamilton.

Phase II invloves the 80 storey condo tower. He's aiming for 80 storey because he wants to start from the highest height as possible. It's all up to city council to approve it or not.

This article might happen explain it a little more......

Dethroned condo king Stinson makes play for Hamilton condo
Posted: February 29, 2008, 8:58 PM by Barry Hertz
Real estate

By Natalie Alcoba, National Post

Harry Stinson, Toronto’s dethroned “condo king,†has made a play for a downtown Hamilton landmark, hoping to restore it and build a new condo tower that could soar up to 80 floors.

Mr. Stinson, who recently moved to Hamilton after losing control of the 1 King West condo hotel in downtown Toronto, is prepared to pay $9.5-million for the Royal Connaught Hotel, which has been waiting empty, stripped of its interior contents, for a prospective buyer.

He said he has the money, but will take 30 days to make sure the building, which covers about one street block, is worth buying. The deal would close at the end of June, said Mr. Stinson, who filed for bankruptcy protection last year after a $12-million dispute over 1 King West with prominent theatre producer David Mirvish, who largely financed the project.

“I’m really picking myself up and starting all over here,†Mr. Stinson said of his work in Hamilton. Still, he said investors have not been hard to come by. “I’m not obviously happy with what happened in Toronto but I’m not walking away and forgetting. I’m keeping up my fight to vindicate myself on it, but I’m not doing it in the public eye.â€

In the meantime, he is busy trying to convince Hamilton officials to let him build an 80-storey condo tower.

“Their eyebrows rose a little bit when I showed them a drawing, but that’s the whole idea here. This is going to have to be something that is really striking and is actually so outrageous that in itself becomes self fulfilling,†Mr. Stinson said.

“Our objective is to go tall. Can we get 80 storeys? I have no idea. That is what we are going to start with. We are going to try to make it a building they will find appealing, because their objective is really to galvanize that whole downtown core.â€

The sleek condo tower is the second phase of a development project that will start with retrofitting the existing Connaught, circa 1916, into a combination boutique hotel and residences. The first four floors will house a refurbished ballroom, plus about 100 hotel suites, while “compact†condo units similar to those found at 1 King West will take up the remaining 10 floors.

Mr. Stinson said it could be up and running by Christmas 2009, but did not have a timeline for the construction of the adjacent tower. The hotel units will start at about $130,000; condos in the tower will range from $300,000 to $1-million, Mr. Stinson said.

stinsssson.jpg

Rendering of Stinson's proposed 80-storey condo tower by Stanford Downey Architects Inc.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...ng-stinson-makes-play-for-hamilton-condo.aspx

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this...?

He said he has the money, but will take 30 days to make sure the building, which covers about one street block, is worth buying. The deal would close at the end of June, said Mr. Stinson, who filed for bankruptcy protection last year after a $12-million dispute over 1 King West with prominent theatre producer David Mirvish, who largely financed the project.

Yesterday on CHCH News they had a whole section about how developers are actually willing to help Stinson out to start Phase I for the Connaught as a way for him to generate income so he can out of personal bankruptcy to start paying back.

I personally couldn't care about the condo tower. I'll be delighted if the Connaught Hotel itself got renovated and re-opened. A condo tower after that to me is just gravy.

Back