News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I agree. Toronto's waterfront is getting better year over year. Waterfront Toronto has laid the groundwork and it's show time for tangible progress.

Nebakenezer: Cities are organic. They change over time. Remember what was once here before? A bunch of rail tracks and warehouses extending all the way to the water. Once West8's plan is implemented, the ugly parts will disappear into the background, overwhelmed by the great waterfront we're going to have.

And I emphasize again: things change. When we have a beautiful waterfront, it becomes desirable and what was once ugly, will be torn down and replaced by something better.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Darwin. I liked your book "On the Origin of Species". I heard it's a wild success on Amazon ;)

You're not doing anyone a favour by even acknowledging his post :p

So all this is suppose to make toronto have an amazing waterfornt. Too little too late, toronto waterfront is ugly.

A few wooden slips is not gonna change the fact that the lake is lined was ugly eyesore buildings.

But it's better than nothing I suppose.

This is only a very tiny portion of the overall plan.

So all this is suppose to make toronto have an amazing waterfornt. Too little too late, toronto waterfront is ugly.

A few wooden slips is not gonna change the fact that the lake is lined was ugly eyesore buildings.

But it's better than nothing I suppose.

Why don't you take a little time, read the West 8 package on the whole project and head down there and take a look so that you have an idea of what your talking about. It has barely begun and your writing off our waterfront as "ugly"? Good grief....

Last edited:
I viewed the plans.. looks good. Definitely glad something is being done, decades or not.

here is a video i found... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_el3-9WN7Ss

But it seems, all the major work is being done east of Parliament, which will be a sub-community in itself. Thats great and fantastic! can't wait!

The area I'm concerned with is central waterfront. I guess if they widen the pedestrian walkway and narrow queensway or even shut it down, might go along way to improving central waterfront. But in the end, A waterfront is not really a waterfront if the line of site is broken up by buildings every block. I'm sure it will be nicer than it is now, nonetheless. But world class, we'll have to wait and see.

West of Spadina there is an unobstructived path along the waterfront, but then you have nothing but highway blocking it from the north, no connection to community or supporting commercial zone to speak of..

I don't know maybe I look around at other cities too much and get envious of what they are doing vs us (i.e. perth, hong kong, etc.). But in the end I'm glad something is happening to make our waterfront more beautiful.

I could suggest however that the city consider doing some land reclamation, hong kong style. But that would be too cost prohibitive I'm guessing.

http://centralwaterfront.designinghongkong.com/
http://www.skyscraperlife.com/weste...sed-amazing-perth-waterfront-development.html

No offense, but there are skate parks that exist already, and we have had a pretty ugly and unused waterfront for too long now. It's worth every penny.

Let's not argue about the number of skate parks in downtown Toronto. Let's just say it would be cool if Waterfront Toronto built one, on the waterfront. It would be a cool spectacle for tourists.

Anywho, about the decks. What exactly are we supposed to do on them? Those railings kind of get in the way. No?

But in the end, A waterfront is not really a waterfront if the line of site is broken up by buildings every block. I'm sure it will be nicer than it is now, nonetheless. But world class, we'll have to wait and see.
I think you may have forgotten about the fact, or not noticed it in the plans, that there will be one continuous strip directly along the water's edge - south of those buildings. This will primarily be done through the use of bridges joining the ends of the slips.

In my opinion, if the other waterfront redevelopment projects turn out half as well as the Head of Slips, our waterfront will easily compete on an international scale when done.

I viewed the plans.. looks good. Definitely glad something is being done, decades or not.

Good stuff. There's lots that will be done. If you look at the waterfront area from say Yonge to Bathrust 5 years ago, and compare it to how it will be in 3 years in will be virtually unrecognizable.
I briefly tried to find the best presentation (I have a great .pdf on my HD but I can't find it online) but here are two pretty comprehensive presentations - http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//447b3a4d7e76a.pdf & http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//45b7cf08157ca.pdf

But it seems, all the major work is being done east of Parliament, which will be a sub-community in itself. Thats great and fantastic! can't wait!

A big part of the plan is East Bayfront/Lower Don Lands/West Don Lands but it continues to the west too. The east area is pretty grim over there right now so I think that's where we'll see the most dramatic change to the waterfront area, and the communities that will eventually grow to the north.

The area I'm concerned with is central waterfront. I guess if they widen the pedestrian walkway and narrow queensway or even shut it down, might go along way to improving central waterfront. But in the end, A waterfront is not really a waterfront if the line of site is broken up by buildings every block. I'm sure it will be nicer than it is now, nonetheless. But world class, we'll have to wait and see.

Widening the pedestrian walkways, reducing Queens Quay (not Queensway) from four lanes to two ROW lanes and 1 parking lane, adding trees and improved landscaping & extending bike lanes is only a small part of the plan for the central waterfront. There aren't buildings on every block, however the few condos that are there aren't going anywhere so we live with them but rest assured, no more condos will be built on the south side of Queens Quay from Yonge to Bathurst. Have you been to Harbourfront Centre, HTO or the Music Garden? If you haven't, do take the time. I think you'll really be surprised how great it is down there already.

West of Spadina there is an unobstructived path along the waterfront, but then you have nothing but highway blocking it from the north, no connection to community or supporting commercial zone to speak of..

By highway you mean Queens Quay? It can be a busy street, especially on weekends in the summer or when special events are taking place down there but remember, lanes will be reduced plus the dedicated LRT lines. There is retail on the north side of Queen's Quay, although it could certainly be better. Give it time to grow :)

I don't know maybe I look around at other cities too much and get envious of what they are doing vs us (i.e. perth, hong kong, etc.). But in the end I'm glad something is happening to make our waterfront more beautiful.

Your more informed than I am however I think we're going to have something to be extremely proud of by 2013-14 along the central waterfront, and a few years later east of Yonge street.

I could suggest however that the city consider doing some land reclamation, hong kong style. But that would be too cost prohibitive I'm guessing.

I'd guess it would be too!

Last edited:
Simcoe

I guess there will be a late night and early wake up call to get the handrail finish for 9:00 am Friday.

A fair amount of welding still had too be done, but cleaning the welds and polishing them will take time. This was at noon.

Adding smaller support post as well the cable was well underway.

You will have to step over the railing to get to the peaks.

IMG_june-11-09-0008.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0009.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0010.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0011.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0013.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0014.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0015.JPG

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the planks across the Rees deck - then I looked a little harder and realized that they have yet to be screwed in...pfffew!

I took on the Simcoe Wavedeck today. The side at the end is STEEP! I could not get up there. The deck is quite magnificient. Now that the fence is taken down, it is more recessed than I originally thought, lots of room. It is certainly the main attraction today, lots of people walked on it.

Harbourfront will be hopping this weekend with the Luminato thing.

I will post video's and photo'o later.

There were a few complaints about it after it open and par for the course.

The steep side needs good sole shoes not to climb, but to go down. I slid and ran down in my shoes. Saw a number of people having the same issue.

In the video you can see people giving up trying to get up even holding onto the railing.

There will be some more work done on the deck to fix some flaws after this weekend.

The Ress is schedule to open at the end of July with the offical opening in Aug.

Walked by (and on) this structure today, very cool.

The swooping railings are nice visually but I saw a few smaller folk struggling to get over them.

Of course the first thing the kids want to do is slide down the smooth beams with their feet coming to rest just under the railing. I shuddered to think what's going to happen when the woods a bit wet.

Do I worry too much or do these railings cause more safety hazards then they prevent?

I will post video's and photo'o later.

There were a few complaints about it after it open and par for the course.

The steep side needs good sole shoes not to climb, but to go down. I slid and ran down in my shoes. Saw a number of people having the same issue.

In the video you can see people giving up trying to get up even holding onto the railing.

There will be some more work done on the deck to fix some flaws after this weekend.

The Ress is schedule to open at the end of July with the offical opening in Aug.

Well, going up the second highest wave is easier. Then go on the top wave from the top of the second highest wave. Going up the steep first wave is pretty hard unless you run up. Going down is kinda okay though. Just not for seniors maybe. But yeah, it might prove to be a hazard if kids try and fall.

People were all over this thing tonight. If there are complainers, they are being drowned out by those laughing and enjoying it.

Someone will get hurt on this soon enough, despite all the warnings signs. This is our Diana Fountain - it's gonna be loved, but dangerous.

3621552882_325fbb32d6_o.jpg

Last edited:

Back