News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I happened to be passing by the Whyte Ave area and I saw one of the streetcars travelling towards the High Level Bridge today.
ERRS is starting driver re-training for both Fort Ed and a potential reopening of the High Level Line, hopefully we'll see more cars out because of this. The cars should be running in Fort Ed for its opening, I think the High Level Line is still undetermined. (source: i'm on their mailing list. I'm too much of a walking shitshow right now to get involved in the group, but just hearing about the cool stuff is good for now lol)

I read somewhere that the High Level Bridge cannot be rehabilitated because it's a heritage site. If the HLB has about 25 years of life remaining, this can be a problem.

Wouldn't it be nice 🤔🤔🤔 if only someone had a proposal to build a new High-level bridge adjacent to the existing one -- maybe a living bridge that realigned 109th street such that there were no awkward approaches for traffic and that allowed 2-way movement of cars, buses, bicycles and pedestrians. A bridge that had retail and hospitality on it across the entire deck that melded 109 south with 109 north in a continuous and contiguous shopping area with river views. A bridge that exercised the most creative designs imaginable and that tied the bridge deck via view elevators to the river valley trails below. A bridge that allowed the existing High-level to be retrofitted and upgraded into high-level retail and hospitality on the existing car deck and that enclosed with glass the upper deck to the specific use of ERRS and a pedestrian park (with a bike path). Can you imagine what Edmonton would look like then! An asset that would give Edmonton new bragging rights!

I read somewhere that the High Level Bridge cannot be rehabilitated because it's a heritage site. If the HLB has about 25 years of life remaining, this can be a problem.
It can be rehabilitated, but we have let it go to a point where I begin to wonder how many good years are left. How/why we do not have a comprehensive maintenance plan for this gem boggles the mind.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 11.40.45 PM.png

From one of the old design shows at Latitude.

Last edited:
It can be rehabilitated, but we have let it go to a point where I begin to wonder how many good years are left. How/why we do not have a comprehensive maintenance plan for this gem boggles the mind.
It's scheduled for rehabilitation in 2023, but I can't find information on what it will entail yet. If I recall correctly, I think I remember reading that one thing it needs is a new coat of anti-corrosion paint. I could be misremembering though.

It's scheduled for rehabilitation in 2023, but I can't find information on what it will entail yet. If I recall correctly, I think I remember reading that one thing it needs is a new coat of anti-corrosion paint. I could be misremembering though.
Sure, but for the last x yrs it has been corroding and peeling to the point that the old girl looks pretty shabby. Similar to other signature bridges this should have a continuous maintenance plan.

Recruiting new High Level Line board members!​

Do you want to help bring this linear park to life in Edmonton? Board members are very hands-on with the operation of the society. It's a great way to make connections with others that care about Edmonton reaching its fullest potential.

The board is recruiting a few new directors that can contribute to the society's growth in the next couple years, focused on:

• building relationships with the new City Council (many are already HLL supporters!)
  • advising as a stakeholder for High Level Bridge renewal projects
  • re-igniting public excitement and awareness about High Level Line
To apply, send your resume to highlevelline@gmail.com by November 29.

Back