News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Vaughan Mills is disgusting, especially the plazas on the north of the property. I've never seen such bland, half-assed design in my life.

Pretty sure the people at Ivanhoe Cambridge (the owners of VM) were none too pleased either by those boxy strips of crap that their neighbours to the north put up....but those are not examples of mall owners intensifying their developments....it is an example of someone else cashing in on the popularity of a new mall concept.

When are they planning to start construction?

Personally I think that the current plans for the 427 extension look pretty good. In the long term I believe going up to Barrie makes the most sense as it would ease traffic on the death trap they call highway 400. In addition, I am propsing a second highway 4## which would run from the 400 between Dunlop and Tiffin streets, intersect with highway 427 and continue up into Wasaga/Collingwood.

The advantages of this idea are:
-Reduced congestion on the 400.
-Alternate Route in case of full closure of 400 (far too frequent)
-Follow mainly existing hydro lines, therefore buying out properties should be a bit less expensive.
-Provides excellent expansion potential for Barrie, who's population is exploding
-Reduces congestion on highway 26 to Wasaga.

427-Barrie.jpg

In between Vaughan Mills and Square 1 there is a pretty major mall called the Bramalea City Centre...sure that is not closer to you?

BCC is a terrible mall. Many of the stores seems to be catering to a specific culture(understanable) There isn't really anything of interest there. I hope the new expansion improves it somewhat. That new parking deck on the Northwest corner is an abomination, too. Depending on where he lives, it might be easier to just drive down Mclaughlin Rd./Confederation Parkway to Square One.

Not to mention Square One simply has a better selection of stores, and services.

Vaughn Mills is a transit advocates nightmare. It's straight out of American Suburbia!

A good mall = oxymoron.

I'd rather look for good dept. stores in Asia or ped--friendly malls in Europe over Sq. 1, anyday!

BCC is a terrible mall. Many of the stores seems to be catering to a specific culture(understanable) There isn't really anything of interest there. I hope the new expansion improves it somewhat. That new parking deck on the Northwest corner is an abomination, too. Depending on where he lives, it might be easier to just drive down Mclaughlin Rd./Confederation Parkway to Square One.

Not to mention Square One simply has a better selection of stores, and services.

Vaughn Mills is a transit advocates nightmare. It's straight out of American Suburbia!

My comment had nothing to do with quality......the person noted that as a Brampton resident his only choice in major malls was VM or SQ1.....BCC is one of the largest malls in the province owned by one of the largest retail operations in the country.......it is by any definition a major mall and the current expansion/re-positioning is only going to enhance that.

As he said he lived in East Brampton....getting over to Mclaughlin is gonna take almost as much time as just getting to VM so you offer not much of a solution for them.

As for the parking structure, it is very similar to the one at SQ1 and is built so that they can eliminate surface parking in favour of more buildings....ie a retail intensification program.....sorta something that gets advocated a lot on these boards. ;)

I just ran through the tenant roster and, honestly, don't see much of an ethnic bias....yes, SQ1 has a larger/"better" mix of stores but it is a larger more high profile mall......it will be interesting to see what the current expansion brings to BCC.

Personally I think that the current plans for the 427 extension look pretty good. In the long term I believe going up to Barrie makes the most sense as it would ease traffic on the death trap they call highway 400. In addition, I am propsing a second highway 4## which would run from the 400 between Dunlop and Tiffin streets, intersect with highway 427 and continue up into Wasaga/Collingwood.

-Follow mainly existing hydro lines, therefore buying out properties should be a bit less expensive.
-Provides excellent expansion potential for Barrie, who's population is exploding

427-Barrie.jpg

I agree with the majority of your post, however, I don't feel that a new corridor is necessary from Barrie to Collingwood. The demand might be there in the summer time for Wasaga Beach, but not year round. Highway 26 is just fine for now.

427-Barrie.jpg

Might be good to extend the proposed "Bradford Bypass" 404-400 connector to this extended 427 when and if they ever get built.

Back