News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

propose spending $2.5M for a camp for 60 homeless people for 3 months...
Just to be clear, she did not propose spending $2.5 million on the camps. She made a motion asking administration to provide a report outlining different options for temporary city-run encampments (ranging from tents to mobile shelters), and the costs associated with those options. Now that the report has come back with the costs, she has spoken against the idea, expressing surprise at the high price tag and saying: "That's not a wise investment of our funds. That level of investment for three months for what is in any measure not a preferred solution or outcome, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense."

I think it's a good reminder that asking for more information is not an endorsement of a particular proposal or idea, but it does help Council make higher quality decisions :)

Last edited:
Just to be clear, she did not propose spending @2.5 million on the camps. She made a motion asking administration to provide a report outlining different options for temporary city-run encampments (ranging from tents to mobile shelters), and the costs associated with those options. Now that the report has come back with the costs, she has spoken against the idea, expressing surprise at the high price tag and saying: "That's not a wise investment of our funds. That level of investment for three months for what is in any measure not a preferred solution or outcome, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense."

I think it's a good reminder that asking for more information is not an endorsement of a particular proposal or idea, but it does help Council make higher quality decisions :)

probably should have done a bit more research before putting out a motion to provide a report - anyone could have told you this half-baked idea wasn't going to work

Last edited:
I think, by default, a lot of shelters and related facilities are concentrated in this area because of the complexities of treating the vulnerable. Long-term solutions are needed but sadly a lot of putting out fires.

I think, by default, a lot of shelters and related facilities are concentrated in this area because of the complexities of treating the vulnerable. Long-term solutions are needed but sadly a lot of putting out fires.
Totally, and it's hard to de-centralize everything without constructing new facilities, which would require the Province to step up big time with funding.

Meanwhile, the former remand- a perfect structure- sits empty. Having lived in a third world in my past, spare me the sentiments of emotional and psychological affects of the building for its history. Walk around the less desirable area where you see a 70+ year old man barely physically able to stand using push chairs to traversed while sleeping in an empty commercial lot with tress as his shelter. I'll give you critics a choice to ponder upon, which emotional and psychological trip would you choose?
A). Sleeping outside
B). Sleeping inside
...all while suffering emotional and psychological affects ofcourse...

Meanwhile, the former remand- a perfect structure- sits empty. Having lived in a third world in my past, spare me the sentiments of emotional and psychological affects of the building for its history. Walk around the less desirable area where you see a 70+ year old man barely physically able to stand using push chairs to traversed while sleeping in an empty commercial lot with tress as his shelter. I'll give you critics a choice to ponder upon, which emotional and psychological trip would you choose?
A). Sleeping outside
B). Sleeping inside
Maybe it is the province being penny pinching again, but it seems in Edmonton we have it a bit mixed up. We seem to rush to tear down things we should keep and agonize or leave things we really should get rid of ASAP.

Unfortunately, the results show and if we want a better city we have to become smarter about it.

A). Sleeping outside
B). Sleeping inside
I used to think centralization of shelters and outreach programs was an efficient and sensible answer to the problem, but the problem is that concentrating homeless populations into a single area ghettoizes the community and runs the risk of destroying surrounding businesses, detracting from operating in the area, drives down property values, increases crime and safety issues, etc.

It also creates a massive target for drug dealers to prey on on these vulnerable populations as they’re all in a single area.

Most of what I’ve read on the matter regarding success stories around the world is that decentralization of these programs typically coincides with leaner and more efficient uses of funding, limited social and economic impact to the surrounding community, and disenfranchises the opportunity for dealers to profit on volume.

It doesn't matter how we distribute the demographic, the problem will just spread all about. That said, not everyone causes problems. We spent too much time dissecting problems, so how about we focus the other end and get it done.

It doesn't matter how we distribute the demographic, the problem will just spread all about. That said, not everyone causes problems. We spent too much time dissecting problems, so how about we focus the other end and get it done.

It does matter though. Proper planning and implementation of policy, investment from all levels of government, and leadership on the matter is vital if you don’t want something like a Skid Row to happen in your city.

First thing we should be doing is hiring consultants from successful countries in Europe to come help us get our act together. That’s my opinion.

Even if we can build these facilities in other parts of the city, I wonder if people will use them. They may locate with like-minded people.

I think the province should step in with proper facilities in the outlying communities rather than these places sending their problem people to Edmonton.

We spent too much time dissecting problems, so how about we focus the other end and get it done.
That's true. Supportive housing has an 80%+ success rate (80% or more residents remain housed after one year), so considering we have ~2000 houseless people right now, it's really sad that if the city's expansion plan for supportive housing is successful, we'll only have ~900 units by 2024. It's not a solution for everyone, but the treatment process for residents is by no means quick, so a lot of people will be waiting for units that may or may not free up a few years after they open.

Such a joke that they are just realizing this now. Glad to see some funding.

"Edmonton’s Downtown safety plan pointed out a disparity in shelter funding compared to its southern counterpart, with 634 permanently funded emergency shelter spaces in the Alberta capital compared to 1758 spaces in Calgary.

Kenney noted Edmonton had also been getting substantially less in per capita funding for emergency spaces as well, but that Saturday’s announcement will narrow that through an additional $12 million in funding.

“Our analysis supported that there was some inequality in the funding. That ends today,” Kenney said.

Last edited:

Back