News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But to tie everything into the thread opener, given all the resources openly available today, even the best CFNY/Edge modus operandi past/present seems an inadequate, hokey relic of a simpler time. Like, we *really* have to configure our pop/rock-cultural consumption back to a pre-Y2K mode in order to blot out the feeling of anachronism.

Increasingly, FM radio is for nostalgists, Luddites, and those with no other option.

I've just about given up on the radio for my car rides to Kitchener for work. If I listen to CFRB the hosts spend your entire transit trying to get you enraged about something usually minor, if you listen to CBC you have to put up with crap local bands every half hour and boring shows, and the music stations never play what I want to hear. So, I've now become a book on CD fan, which I get from the local Library brand at no charge.

Having worked at 680News not that long ago, I can tell you that the way they make money is by having very few staff on hand. Jack FM is pretty much totally automated most of the day, and CHFI is pretty much the same thing. Most times I walked by those stations, the lights were off, save for the glow of the automation computer monitor.
Indeed, most stations could be run from our home computers practically. There's barely any spirit left to the beast. I can't remember the last time I was acutally surprised while listening to commercial radio. Even a skipping song would be a nice surprise at this point.

I think that was around when they started calling themselves Edge102. Thankfully that and the Eminem experiment didn't last long. It's better now - sure they play Nickelback (who doesn't?) but theres good stuff on there too. It's the only station I can tolerate.
CFNY took the Edge moniker slowly. Around 1994 it became "The Leading Edge" and then around 1997 it went with "Edge 102." A few years later it changed it again to "102.1 The Edge." If the spirit of CFNY were still alive today, there'd be no issues with the station playing hip hop (of the white or black variety). Eminem would have only been disqualified based on his over popularity.

102.1 doesn't just play mainstream rock, which is what makes it great. There is a lot of indie music, and a lot of retro music as well. And yes, they have always played other genres of music including rap: Beastie Boys, Outkast, K-OS, Delerium, etc. Yet there is some music that they inexplicably ignore, like 70's punk
I don't really agree with that. It's pretty darn mainstream these days. The "indie," "retro," and "hip hop" to be found on CFNY on any given day probably amounts to 10 songs. Their playlist has never been tighter and their likelihood of playing anything "edgey" has never been less.

It's better than other mainstream stations, but if you listened to CFNY in the 80's and early 90s, you would realize that it's gone way downhill ever since. Exhibit A - Nickelback.
It went downhill waaaay before Nickelback. The station was one one of the two most influential stations on the continent between 1978 and the early 1990s. It was still a relatively progressive beast until about 1996 when there was no turning the corporatization back. It pretends to live of its storied history, but it's truly not even a fossil of what it was.

Except that they don't play "new rock". They play rock from the mid 90's, like Pearl Jam, Nirvana. Ugh, get OVER it! There is so much new stuff that they avoid.
Indeed. To call themselves on the "edge" of anything is probably the biggest misnomer in Toronto radio. For instance, why do they have no problem playing then groundbreaking electronic music from the 1980s, but they won't touch anything from beyond? Also, while their "Ongoing History of New Music" program is generally a pleasure to listen to, it misses about 75% of the "new music" that was happening. It's always an extremely linear telling of what is a much larger story.

I listen to CBC radio myself and a bit of the uni stations too. I'm also slightly surprised by the depth of Pride 103.9's playlist (mostly during overnights though). Other than that, internet radio is where it's at for me. WOXY, BBC 6 Music, Last-FM, Radio Nova and CBC Radio 3 being my stand-out faves.

Having said all of the above, FM radio continues to make money because most people are quite lazy and don't really care if the song they are listening to is derivative and overplayed. They just want background noise and a sense of comfort in knowing that most other people are listening to the very same thing. More adventurous radio could easily make money in a musical hot-bed like Toronto. Sadly though, all our stations are owned by publically traded media conglomerates who will only offer what will make the most money for their shareholders. This is why all our stations sounds the same for the most part.

I don't listen to Radio.

TV: Although I subscribe to Rogers, I would probably stop if I could buy the individual episodes of what I want to watch -- and get ALL the news stations via IPTV or something.

The rest of the programming I can fill in with my own collection of Classic TV shows :eek:

Looks like the era of ad-supported TV is coming to an end for me, it might be worth it to wait to buy the TV series 8 months later:

As the Fall Season Arrives, TV Screens Get More Cluttered
By WENDY A. LEE

Kyra Sedgwick, star of “The Closer†on TNT, walks under a police tape and scans the screen with her flashlight. And every time she does, she makes Gretchen Corbin, a technical writer in Berkeley, Calif., irate.

The promotional ads for “The Closer†run in the bottom right of the screen during other TNT programs — a graphic called a snipe. But for Ms. Corbin, who sometimes watches movies that have subtitles, the tiny images block the dialogue.

“Some ad just took over the entire bottom of the screen so I missed what the characters said to each other,†said Ms. Corbin, describing a recent experience. “And it’s TV, so you can’t rewind.â€

Snipes are just the latest effort by network executives to cram promotions onto television screens in the age of channel surfing, ad skipping and screen-based multitasking. At first, viewers may feel a slight jolt of pleasure at the sight of a new visual effect, they say, but over time the intrusions contribute to the sense that the screen is far more cluttered — not just with ads, but with news crawls and other streams of information. ..... (full text available by following link - copyright restrictions :p )

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/24/b...&ex=1191297600&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

Having said all of the above, FM radio continues to make money because most people are quite lazy and don't really care if the song they are listening to is derivative and overplayed. They just want background noise and a sense of comfort in knowing that most other people are listening to the very same thing.

I'd say that "most people" thing is increasingly a smokescreen for maximal ads, minimal employees, and slumlord operations--station operators are playing out the string at a bare minimum, IOW, because they know there ain't no real future in it, but shhhh, don't tell anyone...

This is what I use for TV, phunky alluded to it earlier:

http://www.eztvefnet.org/

Uploads sometimes as soon as 1/2 hour after the show actually aired, and I've gotten download speeds of over 500kb/s.

If you're on a Mac, this is the best application ever:
http://tvshows.sourceforge.net/
It automatically scours the site above for shows you "subscribe" to and adds it to your torrent downloader. It's like my own TiVo.

Thanks I will take a look at it.

As of a when the macbook pro's were released - I switched over to Mac.

BTW, interesting note.... my old company - Thoughtworks Inc. (headquartered in Chicago) [a very advanced IT consulting company - IMHO] as of this coming October -- employees will have the choice of a Dell laptop or a Mac laptop. I expect 80%+ will opt for the mac laptop. (Total employee count is near 1000 now). Employees that are in the office regularly get one desktop and one laptop computer.

I listen to music on FM:

CFMZ 96.3, CBC Radio 2, some of those jazz programs elsewhere on the dial ... and Masala Meltdown.

if i'm ever in the car i tune into 91.1 jazz fm. smooth easy listening.

My issue with 102.1 is that the old stuff they play. Nirvana is NOT 'new' rock. It may have been new rock more than 10 years ago, but nowadays it's anachronistic. They don't have enough variety in my opinion.

I don't really listen to the radio, but if I do I like to hear what's popular.

I listen to music on FM:

CFMZ 96.3, CBC Radio 2, some of those jazz programs elsewhere on the dial ... and Masala Meltdown.

Well, if there ought to be a positive future for music on FM, it's in that sorta stuff. While the "popular" slumlords down en route to migrating away.

Sort of like how the future of storefront music retail is luxury/specialty rather than mass-market...

My issue with 102.1 is that the old stuff they play. Nirvana is NOT 'new' rock. It may have been new rock more than 10 years ago, but nowadays it's anachronistic. They don't have enough variety in my opinion.

I don't really listen to the radio, but if I do I like to hear what's popular.

Yeah, when will Q107 start playing Nirvana? As long as it's not Psychedelic Sundays, it'll work.

In the world of radio "new rock" isn't necessarily new and "classic rock" isn't necessarily classic. Old punk could be considered classic but you don't hear much of it on Q107 - but they'll play new Springsteen...which the Edge doesn't play but they play old Pearl Jam. Go figure.

It's just a matter of playing to your demographic, even if the divisions between the two can be arbitrary. It's possible to like both Led Zeppelin and the Sex Pistols but you'll rarely hear them on the same station.

Back