News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Though that's operating cost - capital is another matter entirely - especially in an environment where the physical availability of housing isn't there.

AoD

Yes, but........

We're adding over 2,000 shelter beds a year, at considerable capital cost as well.

Also, it doesn't state this, but typically the City debt-finances these investments and financing costs are part of the operating figure. That may/may not be the case with this specific citation.

Yes, but........

We're adding over 2,000 shelter beds a year, at considerable capital cost as well.

Also, it doesn't state this, but typically the City debt-finances these investments and financing costs are part of the operating figure. That may/may not be the case with this specific citation.

Shelter beds are cheap relative to permanent accommodations - that's not to say it is the way to go - but just how our skewed housing system have knock on effects downstream.

AoD

Shelter beds are cheap relative to permanent accommodations - that's not to say it is the way to go - but just how our skewed housing system have knock on effects downstream.
St. Simon's Church at Bloor and Parliament has merged the two. It's a city of Toronto funded shelter, but the men live there permanently. They're assigned a bunk, have a locker for their possessions, access to showers, food is provided, etc. The shelter serves as their postal address for government and personal mails, etc. But it's still a shelter, open beds, communal barracks like space. AIUI, there's also a nurse for addiction counseling and to make sure folks take their meds, etc.

Couldn't this be done across the city, with every homeless person assigned a permanent place, a bunk, a locker and a meal. Food, shelter and security - that's a good start. Throw in a laundry service and you're almost there. It won't help everyone with severe mental illness and addiction issues.

St. Simon's Church at Bloor and Parliament has merged the two. It's a city of Toronto funded shelter, but the men live there permanently. They're assigned a bunk, have a locker for their possessions, access to showers, food is provided, etc. The shelter serves as their postal address for government and personal mails, etc. But it's still a shelter, open beds, communal barracks like space. AIUI, there's also a nurse for addiction counseling and to make sure folks take their meds, etc.

Couldn't this be done across the city, with every homeless person assigned a permanent place, a bunk, a locker and a meal. Food, shelter and security - that's a good start. Throw in a laundry service and you're almost there. It won't help everyone with severe mental illness and addiction issues.

That's why I think we need to address the housing issue first and foremost - repairing the diminished role of government in the provision of housing (which coupled with the rising cost of privately provisioned housing) should be the first point of action. Not everyone requires massive amounts of ongoing support services - but I suspect if you dump someone on the street long enough they will end up in that position.

AoD

Last edited:

There are lots of positives in the example above.

But, within the context of shelter beds, as opposed to apartments, I happen to favour a design closer to SRO (single-room-occupancy) design style.

The open concept still affords no privacy, not much security, and has hygiene issues as well.

Giving each person there own small space, with a lockable door (issued a fob on arrival that can be deactivated from a computer, or over-ridden by a staff fob), provides much better privacy, security and hygiene.

Its also more likely to bring people off the sidewalk, and out of the valleys into the shelter system as a first-step towards help.

But @AlvinofDiaspar is absolutely right than the key is permanent housing supply; both affordable and supportive as appropriate.

I thought our shelter population was far too high at 4,000, to see it approaching double that amount is obscene.

There are lots of positives in the example above.

But, within the context of shelter beds, as opposed to apartments, I happen to favour a design closer to SRO (single-room-occupancy) design style.

The open concept still affords no privacy, not much security, and has hygiene issues as well.

Given each person there own small space, with a lockable door (issued a pass card a fob on arrival that can be deactivated from a computer, or over-ridden by a staff fob), provides much better privacy, security and hygiene.

Its also more likely to bring people off the sidewalk, and out of the valleys into the shelter system as a first-step towards help.

But @AlvinofDiaspar is absolutely right than the key is permanent housing supply; both affordable and supportive as appropriate.

I thought our shelter population was far too high at 4,000, to see it approaching double that amount is obscene.

Not to say that this built form is appropriate in the GTA context (given the price of land) - but the goal should be units along these lines:

Some may transition away from this housing type as they get back on their feet; others may not and use it long term - either way is fine. There is also the need for innovation - how to approach housing in an industrial manner - mass producing units that are standardized to reduce cost, for example.

AoD

If it's giveaway dollars we're looking at then anything other than Housing First is just more wasted money. But, that's what we've come to expect, isn't it?

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it. How far do you want government to build homes? Do you want extremes like...

...or Singapore where most people live in high-quality public housing.
Yes, I noticed that when I was in Singapore in 2018. However they have very strict residency rules, so if you're not a citizen and become homeless you will be quickly deported, or essentially driven across the Johor causeway and dumped into Malaysia.

There's a report coming to the next Planning and Housing Ctte on Sept 22nd with very ambitious ideas on housing most or all of the homeless.

The report itself isn't up yet, so I haven't scrutinized every detail, though I:'m under the impression the money has yet to be found...........we shall see.

Globe and Mail article here, with some details, currently not behind the paywall: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ous-homeless-housing-plan-in-wake-of-covid-2/

Back