News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Now that the cold weather has hit. Homeless are using the TTC for shelter and warmth. The city evicted people from encampments, and now they have no place to go.

Well they were all hanging out at the local McDs, Tim's or whatnot before (because we have "empty shelters"), and they are now closed thanks to COVID. The issue had come home to roost. Can't the city commandeer MTCC? Enercare Centre? Because lord knows we have tons of conventions right now.

AoD

Now that the cold weather has hit. Homeless are using the TTC for shelter and warmth. The city evicted people from encampments, and now they have no place to go.

Damn. Thanks for sharing those pics, I haven’t been on a streetcar since 2019, I had no idea it was thus. I thought the city wasn’t allowed to close encampments unless there was somewhere for them to go.
Well they were all hanging out at the local McDs, Tim's or whatnot before (because we have "empty shelters"), and they are now closed thanks to COVID. The issue had come home to roost. Can't the city commandeer MTCC? Enercare Centre? Because lord knows we have tons of conventions right now.
Maybe I’m not a deep thinker on these things sometimes, but I‘m a fan of mustering all necessary resources to deal with the immediacy of a crisis, and then smarter people can work on the nuanced, long term fixes. So, yes, Tory or Ford should commandeer all the large, open spaces for shelters. If we were willing to consider setting up partitioned spaces in stadiums for Covid, then the homeless crisis is worthy as well. Take over the ACC, Rogers Centre and all the Convention spaces.

As for the TTC, my teenage kids are frightened to take the streetcar. If it’s not the fear of Covid, it’s the manic guy screaming and shaking nearby. Clearly the TTC is not the better way to deal with the homeless issue.

Last edited:
One of these fires is going to kill someone. Homeless encampments have popped up all over the downtown.

The homeless encampments are a massive issue Canada wide its only a matter of time before somthing bad happens.

The fix to address these issues in south Cabbagetown is easy. Beat cops, on their damn feet, not in cars or on bikes. Walking the beat and deterring those who want to break the law. It‘s insane that homeowner cannot rely on the police to keep their neighbourhood free of illegal drug activity, thefts and vandalism. What‘s the point in having police?

Report to Council today on Emergency Housing options:

Still has to voted on.

From that report:

1608243540367.png

1608243579955.png

Note the RED; this only happens (subject to Council Approval) if the operating funds flow from senior levels of government.

Disclosure: Grew up in Toronto Community Housing (20+ years). Currently own a condo downtown.

In my mind, the only way to address homelessness long term is to enlist the private sector. Government should get out of the business of building homes / shelters that are strictly for the homeless and poor.

Instead, I advocate for a building approval process that mandates all condos include a percentage of affordable and / or "free" housing. The housing will be paid for by the building via condo fees. It will not be an option for developers and will be mandatory. This policy alongside zoning overhaul (upzoning and encourage more density city wide) will make a large impact.

To me this addresses a bunch of things at the same time:
- Private development outpaces public development many orders of magnitude.
- Folks that can afford to buy a condo (myself included) should help the brothers and sisters around us that cannot find housing.
- Spreads the homeless population city wide which prevents any one neighbourhood from becoming particularly burdened.
- Decreases (although I acknowledge doesn't eliminate) the stigma associated with living next to someone that was previously homeless or is working poor.

As someone who grew up in public housing, I can tell you first hand that the government of Toronto cannot properly maintain a building. If you have lived in a Toronto Community Housing building, you would be unlikely to recommend this kind of housing for any member of our society.

@dusk

....Nice one.

That's a good start, but we still need to deal with the issue of mental health because if we continue to ignore that, we can build all the housing we want, we will never come close to eliminating homelessness.

Just as an example, we go and house everyone by way that you suggested. What happens to untreated schizophrenics, for example, when they're found to be causing a scene in the corridors at all hours?

This isn't a hypothetical, by the way....I have a mate who suffered a psychotic break and was under-treated for his schizoaffective disorder. He spent a period of time wandering the building he lived in, stabbing the doors of people that his then-delusional paranoid mind told him were out to get him.

A very significant proportion of homeless people suffer from trauma-induced mental health disorder (this includes addiction). This needs to be addressed as well.

@dusk

....Nice one.

That's a good start, but we still need to deal with the issue of mental health because if we continue to ignore that, we can build all the housing we want, we will never come close to eliminating homelessness.
I agree. I'm glossing over mental health since I was giving more of a housing oriented discussion. You're right that we need to tackle mental health directly.

Disclosure: Grew up in Toronto Community Housing (20+ years). Currently own a condo downtown.

In my mind, the only way to address homelessness long term is to enlist the private sector. Government should get out of the business of building homes / shelters that are strictly for the homeless and poor.

Instead, I advocate for a building approval process that mandates all condos include a percentage of affordable and / or "free" housing. The housing will be paid for by the building via condo fees. It will not be an option for developers and will be mandatory. This policy alongside zoning overhaul (upzoning and encourage more density city wide) will make a large impact.

To me this addresses a bunch of things at the same time:
- Private development outpaces public development many orders of magnitude.
- Folks that can afford to buy a condo (myself included) should help the brothers and sisters around us that cannot find housing.
- Spreads the homeless population city wide which prevents any one neighbourhood from becoming particularly burdened.
- Decreases (although I acknowledge doesn't eliminate) the stigma associated with living next to someone that was previously homeless or is working poor.

As someone who grew up in public housing, I can tell you first hand that the government of Toronto cannot properly maintain a building. If you have lived in a Toronto Community Housing building, you would be unlikely to recommend this kind of housing for any member of our society.

So you're advocating for 'inclusionary zoning'. Definitely an option; its not the one I'm most enthusiastic about though.

I would argue the most effective solution we've seen is co-ops.

Non-profit, rental housing, with rents that serve a mixed income community.

Clearly, again, that isn't meant to address the mental illness side of the equation; but rather to provide greater supply of rental-tenure housing, a portion of which is highly affordable.

Many co-ops in the City today are considered highly desirable addresses, but also manage to provide some very affordable housing in their mix.

While I'm certainly not opposed to inclusionary zoning, I do have some concerns about how it tends to work in practice.

The first is 'ghettoization'. We've seen this done in Toronto already where TCHC or a non-profit gets 2 full floors of a new building.

Said tenants get either a separate entrance or a separate elevator; and they may suffer stigma as being singled out for being on the 'poor' floor.

There are ways to address this by including units on different floors, and in different spots (ie. not all the same unit numbers on each floor) where income tenures are more mixed.

But that remains a concern.

I also wonder about what cost is then added to the residual units making that housing even less affordable than it was; through either higher maintenance fees, higher purchase prices, or higher rents.

That may also be addressable; but I tend to think social spending ought to be funded based on income, at a provincial or national scale, rather than housing tenure at a highly localized level.

So you're advocating for 'inclusionary zoning'. Definitely an option; its not the one I'm most enthusiastic about though.

I would argue the most effective solution we've seen is co-ops.

Non-profit, rental housing, with rents that serve a mixed income community.

Clearly, again, that isn't meant to address the mental illness side of the equation; but rather to provide greater supply of rental-tenure housing, a portion of which is highly affordable.

Many co-ops in the City today are considered highly desirable addresses, but also manage to provide some very affordable housing in their mix.

While I'm certainly not opposed to inclusionary zoning, I do have some concerns about how it tends to work in practice.

The first is 'ghettoization'. We've seen this done in Toronto already where TCHC or a non-profit gets 2 full floors of a new building.

Said tenants get either a separate entrance or a separate elevator; and they may suffer stigma as being singled out for being on the 'poor' floor.

There are ways to address this by including units on different floors, and in different spots (ie. not all the same unit numbers on each floor) where income tenures are more mixed.

But that remains a concern.

I also wonder about what cost is then added to the residual units making that housing even less affordable than it was; through either higher maintenance fees, higher purchase prices, or higher rents.

That may also be addressable; but I tend to think social spending ought to be funded based on income, at a provincial or national scale, rather than housing tenure at a highly localized level.

- Agreed on co-ops! As someone who lives in the St. Lawrence Market area, I absolutely love the co-ops in the neighbourhood. More co-ops is always welcome. Anybody advocating for more will get my vote. Perhaps co-ops can be an AND and not an OR in this situation.

Your criticism is valid but here is my rebuttal:
- We can mandate that unit(s) are spread throughout the building. Do not create specific floors for these units.
- We can madate that separate entrances and elevators would not be approved / allowed. Compared to creating areas like regent park or even having a single TCHC building, 'ghettoization' in this context would be minimal if any.
- Yes other units become more expensive (in theory), although we can offset this but granting the developer additional floors (case by case basis). As a condo owner myself, hike up my maintenance by 10% if it means we can have a unit or two that affords those the ability to live with dignity.

Back