39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5C 2L7

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 181376 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 27, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to the basement, first, and third for "The Bay" - Phase II, Phase II linked to 14-154189

The old adage is that men will not travel far, nor travel though womenswear, to get to the menswear department. Thus menswear departments have traditionally been on, or close to, the main floor of a department store, with easy access to the store entrances. I do not know if that still holds true. Hudson's Bay opened up a new and renovated menswear floor in their downtown Vancouver flagship on the 6th (top) floor, and by all accounts it's been a success. Maybe Vancouverites like hiking.

There's also an express elevator to the 6th floor men's floor in Vancouver -
It only stops at the SkyTrain Concourse Level (subbasement), Mall Level (basement), Main (street) and 6th Floor (but you still have to wait for it as the elevator's mechanicals are still very very old).

The high ceilings on the 6th floor have allowed a beautiful space that would not have been possible in the basement (where men's wear was before) - including daylighted windows in the suit department, so you can tell if it's really navy or black.

Last edited:
I hope the Nespresso store won't be moved upstairs; the concourse level opens at 7 am and I often swing by on my way to work to pick up some capsules.

Don't know if you've noticed, but Nespresso seems to open at 9 a.m. now. Annoying.

People who don't know the escalator rule should be sent to reeducation camps.

Don't get me started. It's the total unawareness of it that really pisses me off. They are totally clueless how inconsiderate they are being. Move to the side! And of course there's the a-holes who do it on purpose. They need to be eliminated. Re-education won't help. Lol.

Don't get me started. It's the total unawareness of it that really pisses me off. They are totally clueless how inconsiderate they are being. Move to the side! And of course there's the a-holes who do it on purpose. They need to be eliminated. Re-education won't help. Lol.

It doesn't help when institutions like the TTC remove the "walk left, stand right" signs from their escalators due to some misplaced and misguided concern over safety (including the naive belief that people should not be walking on escalators). Screw public courtesy, let's cover our ass in case of a lawsuit.

This is the news I reported here weeks ago before it came out :p

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2014/7/home-outfitters

Home Outfitters to Become Part of Hudson's Bay's Home Division, to Close Mississauga and Abbotsford, BC Stores

Home Outfitters, Canada's largest kitchen, bed and bath superstore, will be merged into Hudson's Bay Company's (HBC) Department Store Group. Several Home Outfitters locations may close as a result, while others could be extensively renovated. Hudson's Bay confirms that two Home Outfitters locations will close, as the company increasingly concentrates on its e-commerce operations.
First page of the memo from HBC's Office of the Chairman.

First page of the memo from HBC's Office of the Chairman.

Founded by HBC in 1999, Home Outfitters currently has 69 Canadian store locations, selling housewares, small appliances, bath accessories, bedding, furniture and home decor. Stores average about 34,000 square feet each and are mostly located in suburban centres.

Company spokesperson Tiffany Bourré confirms that Home Outfitters at Mississauga's Square One will close in January of 2015, as well a store at 1425 Sumas way in Abbotsford, BC. "We have committed to rationalizing our real estate portfolio and creating a strong, streamlined store base, along with an expanded digital offering. As a result, we will be closing two Home Outfitters locations in January 2015" said HBC spokesperson Tiffany Bourré. "We are committed to open communication with our Associates through the transition and to treating each individual with respect. Store Associates will be offered transfer opportunities where possible. All Home Outfitters stores will continue to focus on serving our customers," she said.

Regarding HBC's merging Home Outfitters with Hudson's Bay's Department Store Group: "Joining our Home businesses allows us to strengthen our position in the market and create a truly amazing home destination, both in our Home Outfitters and Hudson’s Bay stores, as well as online," said Ms. Bourré.

Interestingly, a source informs us that HBC is looking for space to open a Home Outfitters store in Downtown Toronto, despite there already being two large Hudson's Bay stores within the city's core.
Subscribe to our daily e-news

According to the memo from the Office of the Chairman, Home Outfitters' current gift registry will also be merged with that of Hudson's Bay's, creating "one powerful, integrated registry". Hudson's Bay is already home to Canada's largest gift registry, which will become even bigger as a result of the merger.

HBC believes this change will create efficiencies, especially as the company prepares to move most department store merchandise online. The memo reads: "Joining our two Home businesses allows us to create a truly amazing Home destination, both in our Home Outfitters and Hudson's Bay stores, as well as online. Further, by combining our marketing and merchandising efforts and organizations, we will drive efficiency and collaboration."

Last edited:
And from what I'm hearing. Yorkdale and Vaughan Mills Home Outfitters are the top 2 to get those renovations first. Vaughan Mills is still using Linens N' Things' fixtures after they took over the lease. Vaughan will really benefit from a new layout, fixtures and overall ambiance distancing itself from the LNT look. Yorkdale's location is in need for a big revamp to keep up with the progressing upscale look of the mall. I'm not sure when the name change takes place.

Last edited:
Re: downtown Tdot - there's always 1 Bloor East. Or is that too close to the Bay store across the street (not that it really matters, considering that Yorkdale has both)? Home selection at the Eyesore kind of sucks, anyway.

If they do move menswear up to the 5th, I hope they move ALL of it there because having the menswear split on different floors is just stupid

From a conversation I had recently, Hudson's Bay is trying to sort out the reconfiguration of the departments of the Queen St. flagship due to Saks Fifth Avenue moving in to share the building.

Tentatively, all of the Menswear departments will consolidate on the 5th floor, from the current split between the basement and 2nd floor renovations.

In addition, the newly built Women's shoe emporium on the ground floor may see a relocation back up to the 2nd floor. It should be interesting to see if this goes through or not.

From a conversation I had recently, Hudson's Bay is trying to sort out the reconfiguration of the departments of the Queen St. flagship due to Saks Fifth Avenue moving in to share the building.

Tentatively, all of the Menswear departments will consolidate on the 5th floor, from the current split between the basement and 2nd floor renovations.

In addition, the newly built Women's shoe emporium on the ground floor may see a relocation back up to the 2nd floor. It should be interesting to see if this goes through or not.

The Lord and Taylor 5th Ave flagship mens floor is on the 7+8 floors. It is DEAD up there.

I would make a wager on the Saks 5th Ave migration being a total disaster (just my opinion)... Baker already got what he wanted out of this deal... the Real Estate.

Lincs and Ben Sherman have moved to the lower level (obviously temporary). TopMan has vacated its store-in-store space for the drab middle section of the current men's floor in anticipation of a reconfiguration of the previous space and its eventual move to the fifth floor.

HBC announced its quarterly results today. Out of curiosity, I skimmed the disclosure document. Nothing that earth-shattering, but there are few interesting tidbits:

* Online sales (at both Hudson's Bay and Lord & Taylor, but not including Saks) have increased 95.9% over the same 26-week period last year, which suggests that their web presence is gaining some traction.

* Nonetheless, Saks online sales dwarf Hudson's Bay/Lord & Taylor - in the first 26 weeks of 2014, digital commerce accounted for $278 million in sales for Saks, versus $91 million for Hudson's Bay/Lord & Taylor. Digital commerce expertise was one of the reasons given for the purchase of Saks in the first place.

* Last year same-store sales for Hudson's Bay were up 6.9%, versus a drop of 1.3% for Lord & Taylor (an overall increase of 3.5% for the two). This year, for whatever reason (only rationale given is "based on realignment of banners by management"), they have not broken down the figures for the two chains, and the consolidated increase in same-store sales is 1.8% for the 26-week period ending this past August 3. Don't know if they are trying to hide Lord & Taylor results in the U.S. or Hudson's Bay results in Canada. Hard to know how Hudson's Bay in Canada is faring, although it would appear (unless Lord & Taylor is struggling even more than last year) that sales are not up as much as they were in 2013.

* The Hudson's Bay outlet store up in Halton Hills and the two remaining Zellers clearance centres are included in the Hudson's Bay figures, but Home Outfitters is not included. They don't break out Home Outfitters sales at all (although they note that Home Outfitters will be included in the department store group, along with Hudson's Bay and Lord & Taylor, starting next quarter due to the merger with the home business at Hudson's Bay).

* Sales growth at Hudson's Bay and Lord & Taylor was driven by men’s apparel, home and cosmetics.

Last edited:
Lincs and Ben Sherman have moved to the lower level (obviously temporary). TopMan has vacated its store-in-store space for the drab middle section of the current men's floor in anticipation of a reconfiguration of the previous space and its eventual move to the fifth floor.

TopShop has now moved to the "men's floor" next to TopMan. This is getting silly.

Back