News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Shame they dropped the "Company" (and the old font) but I love that they're going back to the older name and a more detailed coat of arms.

They have renderings up in the store of the new shoe department. It appears to stake out the middle ground, design wise, between what they did in the handbag department and the renovation of the St. Regis Room.

Interesting about the big B in "the Bay" - rotate that B 270 degrees and you have (almost) the stylized M for Morgan's in that department store's logo, which HBC bought in the 1960s and renamed as "the Bay"/"la Baie" in the 1970s.

Last edited:
Though odd how *un*-Canadian it was for them to employ Lippincott & Margulies.

Anyway, it reminds me of CP's shift from this
cprail.gif

to this
cprail.gif

Interesting. It makes sense Hudson's Bay would want out of certain leaseholds. For example, Woodbine Mall. That place is such a waste. And I wonder who they would sell Home Outfitters to? BedBath&Beyond? It's too bad because I like HO

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...stood-hbc-tries-a-turnaround/article10407138/

While Hudson’s Bay sold about 220 of its former Zeller’s chain leases in 2011, there are about 60 locations that are still a financial drag on cash flow, he said. “We think they are actually negotiating aggressively with landlords to exit these lease obligations early, and we think they are going to be successful so ... cash flow will go up.”

Over the longer term, he expects that Hudson’s Bay could potentially sell its Home Outfitters division, a kitchen, bed and bath superstore. “We see it as a non-core asset,” he said. Hudson’s Bay owns more than half of its 11 million square feet of real estate so it could spin off into a real estate investment trust to add further value to its stock, Mr. Lorber said.

Thanks for posting [the TopShop/TopMan photo].

I wonder why they didn't use reclad the entire section including the curved wall to be uniform
- and why they didn't replace the wall at grade with display windows?

Last edited by a moderator:
National Post: Hudson’s Bay in talks to bring new retailers to Canada

The chief executive of Hudson’s Bay Co. outlined Thursday his vision to transform the classic department store model by bringing a host of new retail brands and stores to this country, and fanned rumours of a possible deal with Japanese fashion giant Uniqlo.
Industry experts have said Uniqlo, a Japanese “fast-fashion†giant that competes with global brands such as Gap Inc., Zara and H&M, is high on Mr. Baker’s wish list of partnerships.

Uniqlo, a subsidiary of the world’s fourth- largest retail company Fast Retailing Co., with more than 1,000 outlets in Asia, France and the U.K., has been expanding into the U.S. and wants to have 200 stores in that market by 2020.

“We think Uniqlo is a dynamite company and it is very logical that they should be able to come and grow with us like Topshop,†Mr. Baker said. “But I have no comment on them specifically at this time.â€

The brand strategy appears to be paying off, albeit incrementally. Exiting electronics and shrinking the furniture department at a north Toronto store in favour of opening a two-level Topshop boutique and expanding womens’ shoes, cosmetics and handbags “took an area that was maybe $200 a square foot and it is now $700 a square foot at Topshop,†Mr. Baker said, and sales are now $500 to $600 per square foot in the expanded women’s categories. “We are looking for retailers who complement our existing brands and our existng businesses.â€

Is there the ability to install escalators from this entrance directly to the spaces on 2 and again to the space on 3?
In Vancouver, they installed a new escalator directly from the street to sub-basement for TopShop/TopMan.

There are escalators 50 feet or so inside the door, but Topman and Topshop are further east in the building. The skywalk from the Eaton Centre, further down the block, leads right to Topman.

Back