News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Toronto is messy and marvelous

A popular website, Wikipedia, describes "Vancouverism" thusly:

Vancouverism is characterized by high-density development with narrow towers to preserve views.

Vancouverism is an urban planning and architectural technique pioneered in Vancouver, Canada. It is characterized by mixed-use developments, typically with a medium-height, commercial base and narrow, high-rise residential towers to accommodate high populations and to preserve view corridors.[1] [2][3] With a large residential population living in the city centre, no express ways connecting the core to the suburbs, and significant reliance on mass public transit, Vancouver is somewhat unique among large North American cities. In part, these reasons contribute to the fact that it is consistently ranked among the most livable cities in the world.[4][not in citation given] Other cities have begun to take note of the principles of Vancouverism and have begun to incorporate this approach in their own planning directions.[1]"

As counterpoint:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/books/25cnd-jacobs.html?pagewanted=all

The late great Jane Jacobs in a NYT article. She is really the pioneer of Urbanism--she fought the extension of the Allen Expressway into the city; she fought for truly "mixed use" neighborhoods and space use.

The "frosting on the cake" of Vancouverism is simply architects and planners copping from people like Jane Jacobs and as well trying to justify their being a need for themselves--and helps developers make "airtight" communities that can be sold as hyped and expensive "mini spaces".

It's interesting...the people who tell us what the most livable cities are in the world, are the same ones who have a huge stake in making sure we believe them...

My sense of all this, having come from there is the following:

1) Vancouverism is better on paper than in practice. If tiny units and "antiseptic" concrete terrariums are your thing, then terrific (take a walk around coal harbour--nothing but concrete and "planned" gardens of great banality. There is nothing unique, natural or organic at all.

2) The greatest beneficiaries of "Vancouverism" are developers and corporations. They wisely make us think it's "good for us" and "better"--and we believe them! I certainly respect the marketing.

3) Ironically, the public transit is terrible in Vancouver--back when I lived there and currently--as I visit friends there often. Anyone who can afford to live there owns a car. You just cannot get around otherwise without spending a day on a destination. e.g. say, one friend lives in Kits, the other in West Van, the other near UBC--impossible to get around--3 buses, and hours of time.

4) The best part of Vancouver is not what is BUILT there, but what is NOT built there. i.e. the beaches, the natural beauty and the weather. If you removed the city from the delta of the Fraser river, you'd have a paradise with no city; as a comparison, if you removed the city of Toronto from the shore of Lake Ontario, you'd have a humid bug-filled summer and frigid winter on the north shore of a frozen lake without a city. This should make one think about what Ontarians built here--there is no paradise-- only what they built.
i.e. would people really think it was so great if the weather suddenly turned to Ontario's? People still live in Toronto despite the awful weather...would they still live in Vancouver if they had to deal with the same?

5) Tragically, Robson street, Granville street, which used to be centers for urban and immigrant culture--unique places--bookstores, ethnic bakeries, unique boutiques of many kinds, plus homegrown BC goodness have all been absorbed into chain stores and franchises (with the notable and wonderful exception of some local Asian restos etc. These are most excellent). I can walk down any street in any major city in the world and find all those things. The last bastion of alt/urban/ethnic culture is on Davie street...for however long that lasts.

6) Finally, as a former west coaster, I can say, that the people of Toronto and Ontario have truly amazed me to have built such a magnificent crucible of cultures and done so in a way that integrates rather than separates. And done it all in a wintry climate that would challenge the hardiest of souls. And, I have never owned, nor needed to own a car and virtually none of my friends do either (as in contrast to the west coast where it was essential and most of my friends do have cars).

Perhaps my greatest respect for Toronto has come from the fact that not only does the rest of the country "hate Toronto"--as I foolishly used to before I moved here--Torontonians themselves are deeply critical of their own city. This makes for a dynamic and self-reflective discourse that I have never heard uttered on the West Coast.

I say, Bravo, to being confident enough to be self-critical and thanks for welcoming me to your city and for all the opportunities and excellence that are already here.

Onwards
Westcoasttransplant

I'd say the big problem with Toronto isn't too little planning. It's too much planning, and by the wrong people. City Hall has pretty much completely abdicated its responsibilities in these areas and left it entirely up to developers who buy up entire blocks at a time (or more) and build uniform multi-building complexes. Sometimes it turns out alright, especially if the intention for the neighbourhood is purely residential, but successful cities are built on small lot sizes and diverse, human-scaled buildings at street level. It also helps when developers don't limit ground-floor tenants to chains only.

..yet Toronto's 'lack' of planning is painfully evident in the condition of the public realm. Whereas private development may be hit-and-miss, the public realm is truly what makes Toronto butt-ugly.

I'd say the big problem with Toronto isn't too little planning. It's too much planning, and by the wrong people. City Hall has pretty much completely abdicated its responsibilities in these areas and left it entirely up to developers who buy up entire blocks at a time (or more) and build uniform multi-building complexes. Sometimes it turns out alright, especially if the intention for the neighbourhood is purely residential, but successful cities are built on small lot sizes and diverse, human-scaled buildings at street level. It also helps when developers don't limit ground-floor tenants to chains only.

Are developers doing that? Or are rents, taxes and insurance rates too high for the 'mom & pop' organizations to stay afloat? There is a lot of turn-over on Church St. of businesses. Slowly, the chains (Bank of M, for example) are going to take it over because no developer (or landlord) will want to take the chance of having the expense of a unit flipping every 18 months.

Are developers doing that? Or are rents, taxes and insurance rates too high for the 'mom & pop' organizations to stay afloat? There is a lot of turn-over on Church St. of businesses. Slowly, the chains (Bank of M, for example) are going to take it over because no developer (or landlord) will want to take the chance of having the expense of a unit flipping every 18 months.

They're absolutely doing that. I've spoken to several small business people and they all say the same thing: it's extremely difficult to rent in condo buildings, especially if you're any kind of unusual business or a restaurant. They tend to like to stick with convenience stores, movie stores, dry cleaners or chain stores. Obviously there are always exceptions, especially when the spaces don't lease for a few years and they get desperate, but that's the general rule.

I'm thinking of one woman in particular who owned a cafe whose building was being torn down for a condo. She loved the location and desperately tried to get a space in the condo once it got built. Despite a strong business track record, they told her that they're not interested in renting to a small business. The space went to Starbucks.

It also depends on whether the commercial retail units are held by the developer and rented out or if they are sold off as strata (condo) retail units.

Concord Pacific in Vancouver originally sold off the commercial units along the north side of Pacific Blvd - many to immigrant investors - which led to odd-ball small businesses that did not create a critical mass of desirable stores. There was one store that only sold buttons (not slogan type buttons, but sew-on buttons for shirts, suits and sweaters). Concord then decided to hold on to the retail units on the south side of the street so it could control the tenant mix - and that improved the drawing power of the retail in the neighbourhood. i.e. it would hold a unit empty until the "right" tenant came along.

And of course there is always opposition from the condo strata council to having a restaurant (and potential rats, etc.) in the base of a condo tower.

They're absolutely doing that. I've spoken to several small business people and they all say the same thing: it's extremely difficult to rent in condo buildings, especially if you're any kind of unusual business or a restaurant. They tend to like to stick with convenience stores, movie stores, dry cleaners or chain stores. Obviously there are always exceptions, especially when the spaces don't lease for a few years and they get desperate, but that's the general rule.

I'm thinking of one woman in particular who owned a cafe whose building was being torn down for a condo. She loved the location and desperately tried to get a space in the condo once it got built. Despite a strong business track record, they told her that they're not interested in renting to a small business. The space went to Starbucks.

Well, c'mon: that only makes sense. If you controlled the property, who would you want to have as a tenant? Jane Doe, or Starbucks! Its a proven fact that more than half of small businesses go belly up in the first 18 months. Unless you can prove you are financially viable (own a home, for example) and/or have a ton of experience in the industry you want to be in, the banks won't touch you, nor will landlords.
That doesn't seem fair, but that is the reality. It costs money to re-rent units or to have them sit empty, or to gut them after a tenant implodes. Any Board of a condo would not be doing their due diligence if they didn't accept a 'chain' store over an independent operator.
In this litigation crazy society, I don't blame them!

Well, c'mon: that only makes sense. If you controlled the property, who would you want to have as a tenant? Jane Doe, or Starbucks! Its a proven fact that more than half of small businesses go belly up in the first 18 months. Unless you can prove you are financially viable (own a home, for example) and/or have a ton of experience in the industry you want to be in, the banks won't touch you, nor will landlords.
That doesn't seem fair, but that is the reality. It costs money to re-rent units or to have them sit empty, or to gut them after a tenant implodes. Any Board of a condo would not be doing their due diligence if they didn't accept a 'chain' store over an independent operator.
In this litigation crazy society, I don't blame them!

Huh? Her cafe was successful and had been there for years...she sought to keep her space in the new building but the chain cafes basically muscled her out of the running for her space.

yes--I grew up there too--however the one critical component you forgot to mention was Vancouver's terrible public transport. An archaic mix of buses and the sky-train. If you read my post you'll see what I am talking about. I only realized after i moved away (with great resistance) that Vancouver is a tourist city.

Everyone knows that Vancouver isn't a big financial city - that title in the West goes to Calgary.
Culturally, it's culture is rooted in outdoor sports (running, hiking, sailing, skiing, snowboarding, cycling, paddling), not art galleries, museums or theatre. If you don't leap out of the office to jog around the seawall or go paddling, you're not taking advantage of what the City offers at its doorstep.

A popular website, Wikipedia, describes "Vancouverism" thusly:

Vancouverism is characterized by high-density development with narrow towers to preserve views.

Vancouverism is an urban planning and architectural technique pioneered in Vancouver, Canada. It is characterized by mixed-use developments, typically with a medium-height, commercial base and narrow, high-rise residential towers to accommodate high populations and to preserve view corridors.[1] [2][3] With a large residential population living in the city centre, no express ways connecting the core to the suburbs, and significant reliance on mass public transit, Vancouver is somewhat unique among large North American cities. In part, these reasons contribute to the fact that it is consistently ranked among the most livable cities in the world.[4][not in citation given] Other cities have begun to take note of the principles of Vancouverism and have begun to incorporate this approach in their own planning directions.[1]"

As counterpoint:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/books/25cnd-jacobs.html?pagewanted=all

The late great Jane Jacobs in a NYT article. She is really the pioneer of Urbanism--she fought the extension of the Allen Expressway into the city; she fought for truly "mixed use" neighborhoods and space use.

The "frosting on the cake" of Vancouverism is simply architects and planners copping from people like Jane Jacobs and as well trying to justify their being a need for themselves--and helps developers make "airtight" communities that can be sold as hyped and expensive "mini spaces".

It's interesting...the people who tell us what the most livable cities are in the world, are the same ones who have a huge stake in making sure we believe them...

My sense of all this, having come from there is the following:

1) Vancouverism is better on paper than in practice. If tiny units and "antiseptic" concrete terrariums are your thing, then terrific (take a walk around coal harbour--nothing but concrete and "planned" gardens of great banality. There is nothing unique, natural or organic at all.

2) The greatest beneficiaries of "Vancouverism" are developers and corporations. They wisely make us think it's "good for us" and "better"--and we believe them! I certainly respect the marketing.

3) Ironically, the public transit is terrible in Vancouver--back when I lived there and currently--as I visit friends there often. Anyone who can afford to live there owns a car. You just cannot get around otherwise without spending a day on a destination. e.g. say, one friend lives in Kits, the other in West Van, the other near UBC--impossible to get around--3 buses, and hours of time.

4) The best part of Vancouver is not what is BUILT there, but what is NOT built there. i.e. the beaches, the natural beauty and the weather. If you removed the city from the delta of the Fraser river, you'd have a paradise with no city; as a comparison, if you removed the city of Toronto from the shore of Lake Ontario, you'd have a humid bug-filled summer and frigid winter on the north shore of a frozen lake without a city. This should make one think about what Ontarians built here--there is no paradise-- only what they built.
i.e. would people really think it was so great if the weather suddenly turned to Ontario's? People still live in Toronto despite the awful weather...would they still live in Vancouver if they had to deal with the same?

5) Tragically, Robson street, Granville street, which used to be centers for urban and immigrant culture--unique places--bookstores, ethnic bakeries, unique boutiques of many kinds, plus homegrown BC goodness have all been absorbed into chain stores and franchises (with the notable and wonderful exception of some local Asian restos etc. These are most excellent). I can walk down any street in any major city in the world and find all those things. The last bastion of alt/urban/ethnic culture is on Davie street...for however long that lasts.

6) Finally, as a former west coaster, I can say, that the people of Toronto and Ontario have truly amazed me to have built such a magnificent crucible of cultures and done so in a way that integrates rather than separates. And done it all in a wintry climate that would challenge the hardiest of souls. And, I have never owned, nor needed to own a car and virtually none of my friends do either (as in contrast to the west coast where it was essential and most of my friends do have cars).

Perhaps my greatest respect for Toronto has come from the fact that not only does the rest of the country "hate Toronto"--as I foolishly used to before I moved here--Torontonians themselves are deeply critical of their own city. This makes for a dynamic and self-reflective discourse that I have never heard uttered on the West Coast.

I say, Bravo, to being confident enough to be self-critical and thanks for welcoming me to your city and for all the opportunities and excellence that are already here.

Onwards
Westcoasttransplant

If taken purely from the perspective of transit, then I suppose you have a point, but then with just over 1 million souls in the greater city, how could you expect Vancouver to have an amazing transit system? This is also a city that has no highways to speak of either.

Yet, the city is amazingly easy to get around, save for the choke points of the Lions Gate Bridge (entirely the city's fault for not widening it 15 years ago when they had the chance) and the tunnels/bridges into points south. I count no less than 5 major arteries out of the center core that are 6 laned. Compare that to Toronto's measly 3: Gardiner, Lakeshore and DVP (University ends at St. Clair).

Your example of Kits, UBC (on the same bus line - what's the problem?) and West Vancouver is disingenuous, at best: try getting from Mississauga to Yonge/Steeles and thence to the Bluffs in Toronto, for example - by any means!

To separate Vancouver from its natural beauty and weather is to say, well, I like Barry Manilow, except for his sappy lyrics and nauseating persona. Vancouver is truly blessed by its natural beauty and weather. The more I travel, the more I realize how horrid Toronto's truly is. These two cities could not be more different if they were on separate planes of existance.

I grew up in Vancouver, and although it has changed a lot, it is growing in lots of good ways. Coal Harbour does look a little contrived, but Pacific Ave along English Bay and the build up in Burnaby are examples of good planning.
Every time I visit B.C., I run into more and more associates and long forgotten friends from here who moved there.

To each their own, I supppose.

From my experience, Vancouverites take themselves far too seriously. In someways they do live in a beautiful city with great natural features and positively tropical weather for Canadian standards. It is a city though and there is no utopia (anywhere). Vancouverites often gloss-over legitimate problems like the DTES, abnormally high criminality, an arguably bland and ersatz cityscape and the lack of any underlying economy. Vancouver is nice, and I always enjoy my visits there, but the locals always treat is as paradise. I'm not sure it is. Sort of reminds me of the Islands tbh, as if the locals live some kind of enlightened existence working at Lulu Lemon and eating granola. The amount of protests some of the hippies put up over the Canada line was absurd. They treated knocking down a tree (to build public transit) as some kind of corporatist conspiracy to destroy their little paradise.

When was the last time people didn't protest in Vancouver? I mean, they protest when Gordon Campbell doesn't do enough for the DTES. When Gordon Campbell secures the Olympics and invests in the DTES, they protest again because people are gentrifying the crack heads out. The urban-hippie culture in Toronto can get a bit suffocating, but in Vancouver it is nearly corrosive.

Case in point: "Vancouverism". What the hell is that? Condo-fication is certainly not a Vancouver specific process.

Back