News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I never said NO ONE says Highway 10. Clearly some people on this forum do. But people I've spoken to in real life? No. My dad grew up in Mississauga, and went to school at T.L. Kennedy (which is on Hurontario) and even he never says Highway 10. "Highway 10" is historical, and that's about it. What's so special about that moniker that it must be preserved?

Well, by extension, you might as well ask what's so special about anything so-called "historical" that it must be preserved. And I'll betcha a lot of those people you've spoken to in real life are pretty much dunces when it comes to issues of Mississauga heritage, until/unless something like Doors Open brings it to their attention--but does that mean it should be written off? No.

I personally DO like the Ontario highway crown/shield things. But the province removed those designations, and unless it wants to maintain those numbers just to have consistency in numbers (not against that either), then we should refer to these roads by their legal names.

And really, as much as you older folk might like to keep those old designations, the younger generation has never SEEN those signs, which are pretty much all gone now anyway, so they wouldn't know what you're talking about to begin with.

Well, what's done is done--though remember that this critique is over whether the province should have removed such designations in the first place. And to be honest, said younger generation representatives you're speaking of would probably be of the bored "are we there yet" school of long-distance motor travel, who think anything other than the 401/QEW is "weird".

In summary, if you wanna bring them back, petition the province (or something). Because at this rate, all those downloaded highways will be gone for good (as in, gone from collective memory) in a generation.

Well, there might be a reasonable argument to *resurrect* something like a new-age King's Highway system--or else, to kill off what remains, even the anachronistic King's Highway label, on behalf of 407-style SAT-test bubbles or something...

Why must numbered highways always be "real highways", according to your definition?

What I'm saying is it's odd not to have numbers posted, but it is to have people calling highway-numbered streets by the number rather than the street name if the road isn't really a highway.

What I'm saying is it's odd not to have numbers posted, but it is to have people calling highway-numbered streets by the number rather than the street name if the road isn't really a highway.

Pronouncing tomato as "toe-mah-to" is "odd" in Ontario (unless I'm raelly out of touch here).

Calling Hurontario Street Highway 10 is something YOU think is odd, but has not yet approached the lack of use level necessary to be generally "odd" like toe-mah-to. Hundreds of thousands of people know it as 10 and call it 10 consistently.

Given the almost-universal tendancy for others highways to be called by their street names once they enter a city or town, the fact that is that calling Hurontario Hwy. 10 IS an anomoly using this standard, regardless of the number of people who do so. What combination of factors is which resulted in this anonoly was, I'm not too sure, but it is unusual.

Given the almost-universal tendancy for others highways to be called by their street names once they enter a city or town, the fact that is that calling Hurontario Hwy. 10 IS an anomoly using this standard, regardless of the number of people who do so. What combination of factors is which resulted in this anonoly was, I'm not too sure, but it is unusual.

So few people refer to Hurontario as Hwy 10 that it's really not that big a deal anyway. I hear "Highway 10" on the radio more than in real life.

Many still call it Highway 10 in Brampton and Queen Street is still called Highway 7 by some but its on the decline.

Yeah no one calls that part Highway 7...

However people use Queen Street and highway 7 interchangeably...

Except that your "almost-universal tendency" (note spelling; same for "anomaly") isn't strictly a city/town thing anymore. Consider something like Airport Road; scarcely anybody refers to it as Regional Road 7, or County Road 18, or County Road 42. It's familiarly known as Airport Road, all the way into Mono and Mulmur and on t/w Wasaga and Collingwood. Yet does that make the numbering automatically superfluous and unnecessary?

I think you're under the misassumption that names render numbers obsolete to the point where the latter should and must be abolished where necessary. Why? I actually don't/didn't mind the idea of Yonge doing double duty as Hwy 11--it's kinda, y'know, sexy from a Route 66-esque roadtripper standpoint, regardless of whether "highway" ought to mean "highway-class"...

Except that your "almost-universal tendency" (note spelling; same for "anomaly") isn't strictly a city/town thing anymore. Consider something like Airport Road; scarcely anybody refers to it as Regional Road 7, or County Road 18, or County Road 42. It's familiarly known as Airport Road, all the way into Mono and Mulmur and on t/w Wasaga and Collingwood. Yet does that make the numbering automatically superfluous and unnecessary?

Airport Road leaves the GTA as a street which had a name before county road systems existed and the name was applied to northern sections of the road as it became a popular route to Wasaga/Collingwood. This applies to many other present-day county roads that originate in cites. As well, extensive urban county road networks such as seen in the Golden Horseshoe are probably unique to the area, as county roads numbers are usually applied only to rural arterials elswhere in North America.

I think you're under the misassumption that names render numbers obsolete to the point where the latter should and must be abolished where necessary. Why? I actually don't/didn't mind the idea of Yonge doing double duty as Hwy 11--it's kinda, y'know, sexy from a Route 66-esque roadtripper standpoint, regardless of whether "highway" ought to mean "highway-class"...

I never said highway numbers should be abolished in cities, just that I find it weird that people call Hurontario Highway 10. Nobody calls Yonge St. 11.

I never said highway numbers should be abolished in cities, just that I find it weird that people call Hurontario Highway 10. Nobody calls Yonge St. 11.

You'd be surprised--at least re the Yonge/Hwy 11 symbiosis as the Longest Street In The World (yeah, I know, it's piffle, so what). Of course, its primary identity (these post-download days, especially) is as "Yonge Street", but so what.

Look; by extension, you might as well argue that "nobody" refers to the "King's Highways", therefore that label (and, presumably, the shield signage) should be retired and abolished (like, Highway 10 is one thing, but King's Highway 10?!?)

Getting back to the original topic, has anyone driven through the interchange during rush hour in recent weeks? With the lights timed to allow traffic exiting the highway and turning left to continue through the next light, it is often creating insane backups on Hurontario. Two lights so close together on a busy road and on opposite cycles are leading to a lot of frustration.

I move to the "5 and 10" from Montreal 19 years ago, so I'm not really an oldtimer Mississauguan.

It was always useful to call it Hwy 10 when giving directions, because you avoided the need to explain that the road changes names from Hurontario to Main St. to Hurontario again. Of course, as the "10" signs slowly go away, we're losing that option.

I've lived in Streetsville for the past 5 years, and i sincerely wish I had a simple route number to refer to instead of telling visitors about the whole Mississauga Rd. / Erin Mills Parkway / Queen St. North / Queen St. South mess.

I move to the "5 and 10" from Montreal 19 years ago, so I'm not really an oldtimer Mississauguan.

It was always useful to call it Hwy 10 when giving directions, because you avoided the need to explain that the road changes names from Hurontario to Main St. to Hurontario again. Of course, as the "10" signs slowly go away, we're losing that option.

I've lived in Streetsville for the past 5 years, and i sincerely wish I had a simple route number to refer to instead of telling visitors about the whole Mississauga Rd. / Erin Mills Parkway / Queen St. North / Queen St. South mess.

Just call it Mississauga Rd in general, or Queen St if you mean in Streetsville. Erin Mills is really just a different road entirely. I've never had any confusion with Mississauga Rd/Queen St. It's the same road!

Back