News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Erin Mills is really just a different road entirely.

Yes, but the 6-lane divided road that is Mississauga Rd. south from the 401 seamlessly becomes Erin Mills Pkwy. To continue on Mississauga Rd., you must make a left turn onto a smaller 5-lane road at the lights opposite Turner Valley Rd.

I've never had any confusion with Mississauga Rd/Queen St. It's the same road!

Except that the street numbers change as Mississauga Rd. becomes Queen St. North, then change again as Queen St. North becomes Queen St. South (of course), and then again as Queen St. South becomes Mississauga Rd. again.

It doesn't confuse me any more, but try explaining all that to out-of-town visitors.

Yes, but the 6-lane divided road that is Mississauga Rd. south from the 401 seamlessly becomes Erin Mills Pkwy. To continue on Mississauga Rd., you must make a left turn onto a smaller 5-lane road at the lights opposite Turner Valley Rd.

Except that the street numbers change as Mississauga Rd. becomes Queen St. North, then change again as Queen St. North becomes Queen St. South (of course), and then again as Queen St. South becomes Mississauga Rd. again.

It doesn't confuse me any more, but try explaining all that to out-of-town visitors.

The situation would be significantly simplified if the relatively short stretch of pavement named "Mississauga Road" between the point where it changes from "Queen Street North" (in the south) to the intersection of Mississauga Rd, Turner Valley Rd and Erin Mills Parkway (in the north) was renamed "Queen Street North" and the three or so businesses that were impacted got renumbered addresses.

Queen St. N. should be dropped and changed to Mississauga Road at Britannia since you've left old Streetsville anyways. Better yet, just make all of Queen St. Miss. Rd. just as was done with Weston Rd. through Weston when the old "Main St" name was dropped.

Though there's not much "north of Britannia" Queen to get hot and bothered about anyway; basically, a RR crossing, a few factories, and you're back at EMP/MissRd...

If anything were to happen, it would be Queen St renamed to Mississauga Rd. But I don't see that happening either. The residents of Streetsville would have a fit and the benefits don't outweight the costs/pain.

Though there's not much "north of Britannia" Queen to get hot and bothered about anyway; basically, a RR crossing, a few factories, and you're back at EMP/MissRd...

I confess I'm not certain exactly where Mississauga Road becomes Queen N. At the RR crossing? At Alpha Mills?

And where does it switch back, the next RR crossing? At Reid Drive?

Oh, and just to make it all more confusing, Mississauga Road + Erin Mills Parkway + Southdown Road collectively are Peel Regional Road 1, but this excludes the section of Mississauga Road south of Queen St. S.

And Queen Sts. North and South are unrelated to Mississauga's Queen Sts. East and West, which themselves are located nearer to the southern end of Mississauga Road in Port Credit.

And Queen Sts. North and South are unrelated to Mississauga's Queen Sts. East and West, which themselves are located nearer to the southern end of Mississauga Road in Port Credit.

Or, more accurately, Streetsville's Queen St N/S is unrelated to Port Credit's Queen St E/W.

Mississauga is so strange because of the amalgamations to make the city. Heck, according to the telecom industry Mississauga doesn't even exist: it's still Cooksville, Streetsville, Erindale, Malton, Port Credit.

Heck, according to the telecom industry Mississauga doesn't even exist: it's still Cooksville, Streetsville, Erindale, Malton, Port Credit.

But it's still listed in the phone book, unlike Vaughan.

That's probably part of the phenomenon that makes most people call Hurontario Highway 10. I think many people still subconsciously think Mississauga isn't really a true city.

As for the odd street numbering system, Lakeshore is divided into E&W at Mississauga Rd. rather than Hurontario. Britannia Rd. through Streetsville used to have its own local numbering between EMP and Creditview but was changed a decade ago.

Brampton is also odd in that the N/S divide at Queen only applies between
Bovaird and Steeles and not at all east of the 410. York Region is more like Toronto with Yonge St. dividing the whole region even though there are different municipalities.

But it's still listed in the phone book, unlike Vaughan.

That's probably part of the phenomenon that makes most people call Hurontario Highway 10. I think many people still subconsciously think Mississauga isn't really a true city.

As for the odd street numbering system, Lakeshore is divided into E&W at Mississauga Rd. rather than Hurontario. Britannia Rd. through Streetsville used to have its own local numbering between EMP and Creditview but was changed a decade ago.

Brampton is also odd in that the N/S divide at Queen only applies between
Bovaird and Steeles and not at all east of the 410. York Region is more like Toronto with Yonge St. dividing the whole region even though there are different municipalities.

IIRC that is likely explained by the fact that "York County" used to include what is now the City of Toronto and York Region.

As for the odd street numbering system, Lakeshore is divided into E&W at Mississauga Rd. rather than Hurontario.

Though may I ask: is there a subtle difference in the Lakeshore numbering system within Port Credit versus outside Port Credit? (Like, a sudden jump in numbers outside the former Port Credit town boundary...)

Though may I ask: is there a subtle difference in the Lakeshore numbering system within Port Credit versus outside Port Credit? (Like, a sudden jump in numbers outside the former Port Credit town boundary...)

That's a good question. But the numbering on Eglinton & Rathburn doesn't make sense. At Creditview, Rathburn & Eglinton are at approximately 1300. But every other E-W street has Creditview as 1500 (right nearby South Parade, Cuthbert, Princelea, Carolyn, Bristol, Britannia). Then after that the numbers (at least on Eglinton) seem to jump up to where they should be.

Actually, the Lakeshore Rd. street numbers in Port Credit don't click over from east to west at Mississauga Rd., but rather at the Credit River itself, which is 3-4 blocks east of Mississauga Rd.

And due to the fact that Mississauga Rd. and the Credit River both veer sharply east between Dundas and the QEW, they meet Lakeshore Road West just 4 blocks west of Hurontario St.

That, combined with some rather low-density numbering, means that Mississauga Rd. meets Lakeshore West between #172 and #150 while Hurontario St. (which is the usual east-west boundary for most of the rest of Mississauga) meets Lakeshore East between #132 and #140. (So sayeth Google Maps.)

So, no. there is no great jump in Lakeshore Rd. street numbers in Port Credit to align with the rest of Mississauga.

---

Another surprise, courtesy of Google Maps:

Somewhere south of the train tracks, Mississauga Road becomes Mississauga Road NORTH (with a 1,000+ jump in street numbers), then south of Lakeshore Rd. it becomes Mississauga Rd. South.

Back