News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's a nature of poverty that such people will migrate to the bigger centres. Which is why support for such people shouldn't be done from municipal budget (though that is now being fixed).

Then we should not make panhandling so easy in this city then...

I always find it fascinating how those who have can find ways of being critical of those who have not. It's an interesting phenomenon.

I should've studied sociology.

On that note, what will the police do to a panhandler? Fine him?

"Uh, sir who has clearly not eaten in days, can I please have your address and contact information for this ticket?"

I'm with Matt. We should ban hard drugs, murder and prostitution! That'd put an end to it.

There is more then one kind of panhandler.

You have the actual homeless panhandler who really really needs help, who sits quietly in a corner, freezing half to death who looks really really sad.

Then you have the Panhandler with a cellphone and nice shoes who is up to some scheme. I swear I saw one with a Blackberry!!

Then you have the mental unstable ones who yell and scream and bother people's businesses by going on and causing trouble. They then go down a street bothering people.

Imo by banning it, you will end up seeing who really needs help. If it is baned, certain people who are running a scheme will likely pursue something else. It will also motivate some people who beg on the streets, to make something of themselves.

Then you will end up with the "true" homeless and we can help them.

Do not assume that I am not sympathetic to the poor, but remember all cheater and liars are not all rich, corporate types, the poor can it in the same way as well.

Good points. I don't understand the perspective that people have the 'right' to live in the streets and harrass others. If they are mentally ill then our society is being irresponsible by not helping them; if they are truly broke with nowhere to turn then our society is lacking compassion by not helping; if they are conning the system then we are being unfair to ourselves by not cracking down on them. The idea that people should be left alone in the streets, for whatever reason, seems like a copp out to me.

What would I change? Take a guess.

ytrwytehgfhd.jpg

By torontovibe at 2009-10-15

What do you guys think? Why is nothing done about this? I think this level of scuzziness is just deplorable. The sad thing is, it would be so easy to stop it, with hefty fines and just cracking down on the companies who do this. I don't understand why the city thinks this is acceptable. Am I over-reacting?

Last edited:
What do you guys think? Why is nothing done about this? I think this level of scuzziness is just deplorable. The sad thing is, it would be so easy to stop it, with hefty fines and just cracking down on the companies who do this. I don't understand why the city thins this is acceptable. Am I over-reacting?

Yea, that's a major beef of mine with the City. More than the scuzziness per se, what really pisses me off is the pervasive opinion that the scuzziness is somehow indicative of some kind of urban vitality. Where the hell is the environmental movement about this? We must consume a few hectares of rainforest per day to make sure every payphone/streetlight/bus-sing/newsbox/construction-wall/hydro-box is permanently plastered with Dark Side of Oz fliers.

I would change the thought process at city hall. It seems like the city is on auto pilot in terms of planning. It lacks vision. It would be nice to have someone in power who actually wants to make a difference by dreaming big and making it happen.

It's not just the fact that people put up posters. It's just that they put them up on every single pole, garbage can, newspaper box, bench, parking machine and anywhere else they can find. That glue and bits of paper cover everything and it's just too much. It's defacing public and private property. And YES, it is scuzzy! Do people have some god given right to do that and ruin the area for others? I don't want to live in a city full of that crap, so I'll keep complaining until someone listens. Between this shit and the panhandlers everywhere, it's just too much to deal with. How come no other city has this problem? (To this extent) It's time to crack down.

This really has little to do with the thread but anyway, I picked up a copy of the latest issue of Conde Nast Traveler, the top 100 (not going to bother picking apart the list, I imagine their poll group is between 40-50 and solidly middle class). Anyway there's a pull out for etiquette around the world an in the section on Canada about the 3rd most verboten topic of conversation is, loosely quoted, "discussing how wonderful Toronto is, among regional Canadians especially those in the West."

Thought that was funny.

Back