8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

barrytron3030

Member Bio
Reaction score
Artie Kornfeld, one of Woodstock 1969's promoters, is planning a massive music festival to be held at Downsview Park. He wants it to be bigger than SARStock (and just as messy).

Torontoist gets the tip: http://torontoist.com/2010/02/imagine_concert_downsview_toronto.php
The Globe article (sourcing our family from Torontoist): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...planning-huge-toronto-concert/article1474530/

I'm all for it.

But to reiterate what i said in the JUNO Awards thread: let's hope Nickelback breaks up before this event.

Last edited:
Good stuff! T.O. seems to be attracting mega-events lately........

Too bad there aren't any good bands these days. The lineup of acts should be pretty amusing.

huh? There aren't any good bands these days? In Canada? Seriously? Have you not heard of the world-class talent/music scene in this country? (and yes I can use that word in this case, because there are few places that have rivaled us in music since 2002)

While I don't doubt the lineup will be amusing, because it sounds like Nickleback was at the top of their list, I think you're just trolling to get a rise out of people. The lineup won't be bad because of the lack of talent in this country. It'll be bad because of the choices made by the promoters.

This is something that I've always thought Toronto should have. We have the space, and the music lovers, and awesome summer weather.
I'd really love to have a music event that people from all over come to see, just like the other music festivals like Coachella.

huh? There aren't any good bands these days? In Canada? Seriously? Have you not heard of the world-class talent/music scene in this country? (and yes I can use that word in this case, because there are few places that have rivaled us in music since 2002)

While I don't doubt the lineup will be amusing, because it sounds like Nickleback was at the top of their list, I think you're just trolling to get a rise out of people. The lineup won't be bad because of the lack of talent in this country. It'll be bad because of the choices made by the promoters.

Rivaled? Since when is music a competition. I'd love to know which bands you're referring to. Nothing has been released in the last decade that is worth praise.

Rivaled? Since when is music a competition. I'd love to know which bands you're referring to. Nothing has been released in the last decade that is worth praise.

It's not a competition. I'm suggesting that we have a lot of talent that is very well received around the world. Considering bands like The Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene are highly sought after and headline festivals around the world, those two are good starts. We have a number of labels overflowing with world-renown and critically acclaimed Canadian talent (Arts and Crafts, Paper Bag, Last Gang...). You just need to look at who is getting nominated for the annual Polaris Prize to see how diverse and strong the industry is here. In fact, I'd wager you couldn't find a time in Canadian music history that parallels today's music scene in terms of talent and acclaim. And that doesn't even include acts like the Hip, Matt Good and Sloan which are still producing music and selling out venues years after their biggest successes. If you want to be stuck with your BTO and Gordon Lightfoot, then enjoy, but you're clearly missing out.

Well if you're one of those listeners that stays in the past, you can believe that. But it's true that in the past decade, Canada's been producing some of the best music in many genres.

I personally can't wait to see where this goes :)

for those forumers interested in bashing the current state of Canadian popular music: go start another thread!

for those of us who want to have a positive and engaging discussion: welcome home! anyway, i hope this event showcases far more Canadian talent. It is a great oppurtunity to celebrate the growth and diversity of the Canadian Music industry in the last decade. SARStock was fun, but kind of cheezy. the line-up was a strange hodge-podge and placated to the Q107 crowd too much. it also attracted stupid people who chose to throw bottles at justin timberlake.

i'd love to see the toronto scene represented heavily.

It's not a competition. I'm suggesting that we have a lot of talent that is very well received around the world. Considering bands like The Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene are highly sought after and headline festivals around the world, those two are good starts. We have a number of labels overflowing with world-renown and critically acclaimed Canadian talent (Arts and Crafts, Paper Bag, Last Gang...). You just need to look at who is getting nominated for the annual Polaris Prize to see how diverse and strong the industry is here. In fact, I'd wager you couldn't find a time in Canadian music history that parallels today's music scene in terms of talent and acclaim. And that doesn't even include acts like the Hip, Matt Good and Sloan which are still producing music and selling out venues years after their biggest successes. If you want to be stuck with your BTO and Gordon Lightfoot, then enjoy, but you're clearly missing out.

I've never been a fan of Canadian music in general. I've always thought we produced boring artists. There are a few exceptions.

Back