News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Again, you've missed the point. Can't you go back to posting pictures of random crap? (actually please don't)

All I was saying is that NXNE and CMW aren't the most accessible events for out of towners, therefore there is room for another festival in a more accessible location that might be of interest to people in Toronto and the rest of the GTA/province. I think even you could see the difference between building a couple permanent expressways and having a one weekend festival in a field somewhere outside the city.

All I was saying is that NXNE and CMW aren't the most accessible events for out of towners, therefore there is room for another festival in a more accessible location that might be of interest to people in Toronto and the rest of the GTA/province. I think even you could see the difference between building a couple permanent expressways and having a one weekend festival in a field somewhere outside the city.

And my point is, maybe when all is said and done, the argument on behalf of such festivals has a twerpy 905-and-beyond quality, albeit one more earnest and less douchebaggy than that on behalf of the Entertainment District vs Adam Vaughan. In which case, let the 905-and-beyond keep them as a proxy for Toronto proper--except that then they'd be even less accessible to Torontonians; but, what the hey...

let the 905-and-beyond keep them as a proxy for Toronto proper
What an arrogant attitude.

Did you even consider the purpose for putting on this show?

"The Florida resident has teamed with Montreal artist David Kam to put together a show unlike anything the city has seen before, combining music with efforts to achieve world peace and fight poverty and climate change
This concert will follow the G20 Summit with the intent of focusing the worlds attention to issues of global scale."

" Imagine Music Festival would combine song with fighting poverty and climate change, according to media reports.
...this festival will aim to tune in to the world, not drop out of it. Attendees can compete in sustainability contests, visit the green expo or participate in a mass release of butterflies. "

The fact that a few down towners will have to find a couch to crash on because it's too hard for them to get home on the subway all the way from Downsview (yes the subway goes that far north), wasn't part of the equasion.

. A show this size needs to draw on the population of the GTA, the Golden Horseshoe and the cities within an easy days drive of the site in order to be a success.
This is the ideal location for a festival such as this. It's just off the 401 and minutes from the 404/DvP and the 400, it is one of the most accessable sites in the city.

This site has already hosted over 800,000 attendees for World Youth Day so we know the site will work.

This is Federal land, that means the Canadian Government will be part o the process immediatly following the G20.

This "downtown" attitude is the exact opposite of what this concert it trying to promote.

Did I say we should force a festival into Toronto? Did I say there was something wrong with the event being in the GTA instead of Toronto proper? Nope, I didn't.
I merely agreed that we have two large festivals in the city, both of which are fantastic events, but they aren't the most accessible events for people from outside Toronto proper. I think you would agree with me on that. So since that is the case, another festival somewhere that is more accessible would probably be well received. That's all I'm saying, but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

I'm not sure what is meant by " Toronto proper " anymore. I live an hour away ( on a good driving day ) from the 401 and Yonge St. Apolitically speaking, the GTA equals Toronto to millions of people.

from our family at torontoist

Imagine Concert Still Happening...Probably, Maybe

Imagine Concert is not dead, not resting, not pining for the fjords, and not even waiting for one of Miracle Max's magic pills for the mostly dead—not, at least, according to organizers.

It's been an uphill battle but things are moving forward, co-organizer David Kam says, and a lineup and ticket details should be released in about three weeks.

Will we be totally surprised if the ambitious show doesn't come off as planned?

Probably not. There's only been [one] concert even close to this scale in this city's history (and not many more worldwide), and SARSstock had the support of every level of government and bigwigs such as Molson.

"In the last forty years there haven't been many large events. The biggest challenge is probably getting the city on board," Kam says.

Kam says that City staff are concerned about the influx of people and see the negatives rather than the positives of bringing hundreds of thousands of tourists into the city.

Local councillor Michael Feldman (Ward 10, York Centre) told Torontoist that, given how urbanized the surrounding area is, he'd want to be assured there would be no significant negative effects from the concert. The two prior mega-events at the site, SARSstock and World Youth Day, went relatively smoothly, but the latter caused sewer blockages, particularly in the nearby Idomo store, which was forced to undergo major renovations. Of course, residents were also affected by basic things like road closures, Feldman said.

Somewhat surprisingly, given that his ward abuts the park's eastern edge, Feldman was not up to speed on the plans. The City of Toronto's communications staff also seemed a bit baffled as to just who could speak to what concerns the City might (or might not) have. The City told us first to talk to the (federally owned) Downsview Park. When we persisted, we were told that we could only talk to someone at the City about concerns if we knew who was concerned in the first place. (We leave it to you, dear readers, to decide whether this says more about City bureaucracy, the lack of concern about the concert, the fact that no one at the City knows there are even plans for the concert in the first place, how little progress the concert planners have actually made, or whatever else you can come up with on your own.)

After speculation about troubles last month, worries that the fest was dead in the water kicked into high gear following a posting last Friday on the concert's Twitter:

It soon disappeared (but not before we got a screencap!) and was replaced by an apology: "sorry for the last post. our account was hacked and we have fixed the situation. Imagine is ALIVE and WELL...cant wait 2 see u all July10,11"

According to Kam, the posting came from a disgruntled employee at OVCM, the concert promoter, who hacked in after being taken off the account.

Before that, the last post on the feed was an enthusiastic March 19 notice: "Amazing series of meeting this week! This concert is really taking shape...we have an amazing team in place. RU ready to rockn'roll with us?"

Encouraging, no? But even that post was after the date planners Kam and Artie Kornfeld hoped to have announced the acts.

In the meantime, their website has been updated, but the details of who is performing and how much tickets will cost haven't been released yet. Instead, Kam spent last weekend seeing if anyone out there reading his Twitter feed could help land big-time acts like Roger Waters and Paul McCartney.

Waters is starting a big tour of The Wall here in September and while he doesn't seem like the type to pop in for a few solo numbers, Kam says they are in negotiations.

And The Cute Beatle? He's doing some scattered European dates in June, so he could be available. You'd think he might consider it if for no other reason than to infringe on the legacy of John Lennon's historic Toronto show. They always liked to take digs at each other like that.

The Imagine website touted tributes to old-timey artists like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but those aren't sure things, particularly if Image can land the hoped-for fifty-to-sixty original acts spread across multiple stages, Kam says.

Enough time has passed since we broke the story in February to look at how some of the big concert tours are shaping up, take some educated guesses, and rule some people out.

Tom Petty is coming here in August with Crosby, Stills and Nash; Rush is here only three days after the planned dates; Dave Matthews Band is here just over a month earlier; U2 is here the week before. You can probably rule out the likes of John Mayer, Jack Johnson, and Green Day, who are all coming through town on their own this summer. In terms of acts already floated by the promoters, Pearl Jam will be in Portugal, Lady Gaga is at the ACC that very weekend, and (phew!) Nickelback just played here the other week and hopefully will be in quarantine or something the rest of the year. Sorry, Justin Beiber fans—he's in Utah that weekend, but Woodstock original Santana is here with Steve Winwood, though the two are at the Molson Amphitheatre, not Downsview.

Kam says he tried to get Rage Against Machine via a booker who wanted $1.5 million. He hopes he can get the politically minded band onside if he can get in touch with them directly and pitch the concert's message of peace, love, and telling the G20 leaders to get with the program.

That still leaves plenty of good acts out there—Phish is on a mid-tour break and doesn't have a Toronto date on their sched, for example, and the Flaming Lips, who rocked the joint at SARSstock, are in a similar situation.

No doubt, you can all think of dozens more cool acts, but a show this size won't come off without a few major headliners on board.

It may just be that the cruel realities of capitalism won't work in favour of Kornfeld and Kam, but they still have time to prove everyone doubting them wrong. They may be a couple of dreamers, but hopefully they're not the only ones, you know.

Last edited:
Unfortunately when we developed this festival we ran into issues with Live Nation.Any artist that was considered was blocked by the cowards at Live nation who have many of these artists under contract.So those limitations aside,we went with artists that have little or no affiliation with L.N.Thats made idea somewhat more interesting.As for the Canadian music Scene.It is alive and well you just have to look a little deeper than your local music store.Indie Artists are releasing some of the best music in decades but you need to attend live shows in small to medium clubs to hear it.These are bands you wont hear on Corporate Radio aka The Corus Network.Classic Rockers are still rocking but not getting the airplay they deserve..Payola is another thing thats alive and well but they call them Trackers now.support your local musicians.Get out and see the bands live. Remember those cd's they sell at the clubs are not paid for by hot shot record companies.Its coming out of the artists pocket and thats how they earn a living 'cause those cheap ass club owners arent paying em enough.
It's a ridiculous blanket opinion that only serves to make people rant about how wrong you were. You might not be intending to be a troll but, come on. Some are already listed in the thread but, off the top of my head, here are some bands who have released good music -if not great- in the past decade who would be perfect for such a festival:
Arcade Fire
Wilco
Radiohead
U2
REM
Hey, Rosetta
Joel Plaskett
Broken Social Scene and/or Feist
Sam Roberts & Kathleen Edwards (both of whom played at SARSstock)
My Morning Jacket

...for starters. And you couldn't go wrong with the Hip and a few "classic rock" acts either. I'm sure others here could list 20 more.

"Nothing has been released in the last decade that is worth praise"???
That's not even true if you only listen to CLASSICAL music.

Unfortunately when we developed this festival we ran into issues with Live Nation.Any artist that was considered was blocked by the cowards at Live nation who have many of these artists under contract.So those limitations aside,we went with artists that have little or no affiliation with L.N.Thats made idea somewhat more interesting.As for the Canadian music Scene.It is alive and well you just have to look a little deeper than your local music store.Indie Artists are releasing some of the best music in decades but you need to attend live shows in small to medium clubs to hear it.These are bands you wont hear on Corporate Radio aka The Corus Network.Classic Rockers are still rocking but not getting the airplay they deserve..Payola is another thing thats alive and well but they call them Trackers now.support your local musicians.Get out and see the bands live. Remember those cd's they sell at the clubs are not paid for by hot shot record companies.Its coming out of the artists pocket and thats how they earn a living 'cause those cheap ass club owners arent paying em enough.

Welcome to 2002. You're going to love what's in store for Canada's music scene for the rest of the decade when you catch up.

Obviously you don't pay attention to whats being said.The music scene is thriving Just not on Radio.Thanks to conglomorates like corus radio among others that refuse to play anything unless its pushed by the big labels.which is pure bullsh*t.Whats on radio today is crap compared to whats going on in the clubs.Im not talking sampled hip hop/house crap,Im talking real LIVE music.

You seem to place the blame on radio but when was radio last relevant? When did MTV/Muchmusic come out? I don't even know if it's been relevant in my lifetime. All music and especially the biggest sensations in music today aren't driven by the radio at all. Bieber and Gaga were driven by the internet. The entire indie rock scene which has grown immensely since The Strokes broke is internet driven, and stations like the Edge actually play a fair bit of Canadian indie rock and HMV carries pretty much anything and even puts a lot of indie releases front and centre if there's demand for it.

Fact is, two of Canada's biggest bands (Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire) this decade would never have been "made it" if radio had it's way, and radio played no role whatsoever in getting Feist to where she is (and rightfully deserves to be). The internet, napster, torrents, Pitchfork, Last.fm and myspace have done more for music this decade than radio at its peak ever did. Good music is more accessible than ever before. You don't have to dig at all and if you really think that's the case then it suggests a great deal about the management of this Imagine Concert (assuming you're helping coordinate it based on your comment).

If (big if...) this thing goes off then great, congrats, but to come on here and complain about Livenation does nothing but suggest that you guys are frustrated with how big of a goal you set and how difficult it will be to achieve it, without any idea of what you were getting yourself into. Perhaps I'm wrong but so far no one seems to be taking this all that seriously.

Last edited:
I'm dreading the announcement of the bands. I keep trying to tell my New York friends that Toronto is cool, but this ain't helping.

Obviously you don't pay attention to whats being said.The music scene is thriving Just not on Radio.Thanks to conglomorates like corus radio among others that refuse to play anything unless its pushed by the big labels.which is pure bullsh*t.Whats on radio today is crap compared to whats going on in the clubs.Im not talking sampled hip hop/house crap,Im talking real LIVE music.

I guess one'd call this "mulletspeak"--something about the lack of spaces btw/sentences and lack of hyphens as well...

You seem to place the blame on radio but when was radio last relevant? When did MTV/Muchmusic come out? I don't even know if it's been relevant in my lifetime. All music and especially the biggest sensations in music today aren't driven by the radio at all. Bieber and Gaga were driven by the internet. The entire indie rock scene which has grown immensely since The Strokes broke is internet driven, and stations like the Edge actually play a fair bit of Canadian indie rock and HMV carries pretty much anything and even puts a lot of indie releases front and centre if there's demand for it.

Fact is, two of Canada's biggest bands (Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire) this decade would never have been "made it" if radio had it's way, and radio played no role whatsoever in getting Feist to where she is (and rightfully deserves to be). The internet, napster, torrents, Pitchfork, Last.fm and myspace have done more for music this decade than radio at its peak ever did. Good music is more accessible than ever before. You don't have to dig at all and if you really think that's the case then it suggests a great deal about the management of this Imagine Concert (assuming you're helping coordinate it based on your comment).

If (big if...) this thing goes off then great, congrats, but to come on here and complain about Livenation does nothing but suggest that you guys are frustrated with how big of a goal you set and how difficult it will be to achieve it, without any idea of what you were getting yourself into. Perhaps I'm wrong but so far no one seems to be taking this all that seriously.

I wouldn't write off radio completely though. Over-the-air AM/FM radio maybe, but sattelite radio and radio over the internet have both played a huge part in the growth of the Canadian indepedent music scene. For example, CBC Radio 3 (available over Sirius and via podcast) has been huge in getting new bands out there, surely one of the easiest ways for Canadian independent artists to get their music wide exposure. So while the Edge has become progressively less edgy, the space where radio and the internet collide has really become an exciting place for Canadian music fans.

Oh I'm not writing it off. It has it's place. But for this guy to come on here and talk about how radio is preventing people from finding good music is absurd. I think there's a lot of overlap between radio and the net particularly with some of the progressive shows on the CBC (Like Q), but I haven't listened to radio in years and I don't struggle whatsoever to find out what's new and good in music. Hell, one of my favourite music scenes of the last couple years is the Cardiff music scene, and I've never been to Cardiff nor know what Cardiff station I would listen to online (not that they would play many of the bands from that city). The only way that happens is through the internet and its because of that that I still contend that radio at its peak hasn't revolutionized music in the way the internet has.

and its because of that that I still contend that radio at its peak hasn't revolutionized music in the way the internet has.

Hard to say; after all, the Beatles, Stones, and the rock revolution in general would've been nothing without radio.

But what the internet has done is revolutionize the breadth and depth of music (and music information) available to all--to the point where quibbling over archaic matters such as FM radio playlists has become an archaism...

Back