News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

ya NXNE and Canadian Music Week are already big events with NXNE having the best chance of being even bigger in the future (more like SXSW).
However, those events aren't great for people not from Toronto. The late nights make it near impossible for people from out of town to come in and participate without having to find a place to crash.

And none of those bands appeal to me. U2 has released good music in the last decade? Their last solid album was Achtung Baby.

That's my point - they don't have to appeal to you to be "good."
I couldn't disagree if you said "There is no music I like that's come out over the past decade." That's hunky dory.
But when you say "there is no good music..." you are making your opinion sound objective.

You don't LIKE anything U2 has done since 1991? Whatever. That doesn't mean they HAVEN'T done anything good.

You should at least pretend you like other stuff. I mean, is there anything less cool than being the guy going, "I don't get the kids today and all their music! It's so loud and they dress so funny!"

With all due respect, it says far more about you than the state of music, popular or otherwise.

Even if they do get, say, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire etc. they'll still need some major cross-over acts. I'm not an AC/DC fan but it's hard to deny they were the big hit of SARSstock. I'm not huge into Coldplay but they're an example of a big band who'd seem to fit this vibe. K'Naan seems to really be on the rise, though clearly not at that level. Still, put enough of those "good but not famous" bands together with a few people like K'Naan and 2 or 3 MAJOR headliners and you could have something great.

Dugmor still won't come, but Q107 is on 24/7 so no bigge.

Last edited:
Sadly, this is probably going to be one lame-ass concert featuring some really uninteresting and non-innovative sound. SARStock part 2....*yawn*

What Toronto really, really, really needs is some kind of fucked up hybrid of NXNE, CEMF, WEMF, Bangface Weekender, Shambhala, Hardcore Heaven (beach resorts! AH!), older Warped Tour, with The Prodigy guaranteed every year and some seriously illegal and underground spin-offs.

I dream, I dream.

Last edited:
That's my point - they don't have to appeal to you to be "good."
I couldn't disagree if you said "There is no music I like that's come out over the past decade." That's hunky dory.
But when you say "there is no good music..." you are making your opinion sound objective.

You don't LIKE anything U2 has done since 1991? Whatever. That doesn't mean they HAVEN'T done anything good.

You should at least pretend you like other stuff. I mean, is there anything less cool than being the guy going, "I don't get the kids today and all their music! It's so loud and they dress so funny!"

With all due respect, it says far more about you than the state of music, popular or otherwise.

Even if they do get, say, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire etc. they'll still need some major cross-over acts. I'm not an AC/DC fan but it's hard to deny they were the big hit of SARSstock. I'm not huge into Coldplay but they're an example of a big band who'd seem to fit this vibe. K'Naan seems to really be on the rise, though clearly not at that level. Still, put enough of those "good but not famous" bands together with a few people like K'Naan and 2 or 3 MAJOR headliners and you could have something great.

Dugmor still won't come, but Q107 is on 24/7 so no bigge.

Why would I pretend to like other music just to fit in?

And I don't listen to Q107. If I hear another Kim Mitchell song I'm going to drown myself in Lager & Ale.

Fuck it, if I happen to win the Lotto Max jackpot this week....well, Toronto, watch out! I'm gonna start something so outrageous that Fantino'll be having flashbacks to ten years ago.

A week-long 24hr music festival with multiple stages, multiple venues. On the island. Off the island. Take over the Exhibition. Happy people everywhere. Police and old people in shock. Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria!

Man, I hope I at least dream of this tonight.

Toronto's sooo boring in some aspects.

ya NXNE and Canadian Music Week are already big events with NXNE having the best chance of being even bigger in the future (more like SXSW).
However, those events aren't great for people not from Toronto. The late nights make it near impossible for people from out of town to come in and participate without having to find a place to crash.

So? Why force such festival events into Toronto then, and what the stigma of such an event being "in the GTA" in lieu of Toronto proper?

So? Why force such festival events into Toronto then, and what the stigma of such an event being "in the GTA" in lieu of Toronto proper?

Toronto is big enough to have lousy, big events along with a wealth of small gems , theatrical, as well as musical , that don't get the hype. So, why does anything have to be definitive ? Enjoy the feast, or not.

Did I say we should force a festival into Toronto? Did I say there was something wrong with the event being in the GTA instead of Toronto proper? Nope, I didn't.
I merely agreed that we have two large festivals in the city, both of which are fantastic events, but they aren't the most accessible events for people from outside Toronto proper. I think you would agree with me on that. So since that is the case, another festival somewhere that is more accessible would probably be well received. That's all I'm saying, but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

I merely agreed that we have two large festivals in the city, both of which are fantastic events, but they aren't the most accessible events for people from outside Toronto proper.

To speak on behalf of the macro/extra-musical-picture, if everything were about creating accessibility for those outside Toronto proper, the Spadina and Crosstown and Scarborough Expressways would be completed by now...

Back