News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Guelph-Cambridge is surprisingly not that bad with GO but Cambridge-Brantford or Hamilton needs to happen. It's ridiculous how riders are forced to either hitch a ride from someone, use rideshare, or detour themselves to square one just to get to a place that is a 20-30 min drive away...
What about Highway 6 from Guelph to Hamilton?

This caught my eye from September. Apparently Niagara is considering moving the governance model of local transit from cities to the region.

Could we see similar cities and regions complete these transit agency "mergers," and would it help close the gap in service in outlying communities?
Similar to YRT and GRT?

I am unclear as to why only Yonge and Bayview routes where part of GO transit's mandate and not part of any specific municipality?

Was I because those services preceded the other services provided by the municipality?

Could we see similar cities and regions complete these transit agency "mergers," and would it help close the gap in service in outlying communities?
Halton could benefit from a merged transit agency. Oakville and Burlington could combine many of the routes that require linear transfers, and bus connections between Milton and, Oakville and Burlington could be established. Currently, it is fastest to go via Mississauga when trying to go from Oakville GO to Milton GO, which is ridiculous.

Similar to YRT and GRT?

I am unclear as to why only Yonge and Bayview routes where part of GO transit's mandate and not part of any specific municipality?

Was I because those services preceded the other services provided by the municipality?

The Yonge route, definitely. It was transferred from the TTC, which operated Route 59 Yonge North to Thornhill and Richmond Hill. Once the subway was extended to York Mills, and then Finch, it didn’t make sense for the TTC to operate that route anymore as most of it was outside Metro. It ended the 74 Port Credit route around the same time.

But the old 59 route operated on the border of Markham and Vaughan, and into Richmond Hill, and the suburban agencies weren’t established yet. It made sense for GO, which was growing its bus system, to take it over. It started taking over suburban/commuter Gray Coach routes around then too.

I don’t know as much about the Bayview route, but it was likely launched to feed Finch station around the time GO took over the Yonge Street routes from TTC & GC.

Burlington is a decent growing transit agency that's actually becoming Brampton/Miway levels of reliability and I'm really glad that its growing to not just serve the GO riders which is exactly what Oakville still does. Something about almost every single bus route leaving the go station at once just upsets me for some reason and that definitely is not the way to build reliability and consistency. Also still doing the 30 minute bare minimum for a grid route is also very outdated which either creates low ridership, or overcrowded routes and there's no in between, just see YRT for that. If we were to get "HRT", getting Burlington's service for the entire region would be the best case scenario, and Milton/Georgetown's connectivity is beneficial for the Kitchener/Guelph riders who don't wanna detour themselves to the peel region and Toronto if they just want to get to anywhere on the LW line.

Why didn't the US operations want to buy them?

Are only the D4505's for sale? I guess the other D series won't be worth much?

This caught my eye from September. Apparently Niagara is considering moving the governance model of local transit from cities to the region.

There are really only a few outliers left in The Golden Horseshoe. Of course, most famously, Mississauga and Brampton (and I guess Caledon) that haven't merged into Peel Transit and probably never will.

There are really only a few outliers left in The Golden Horseshoe. Of course, most famously, Mississauga and Brampton (and I guess Caledon) that haven't merged into Peel Transit and probably never will.

Caledon already has a contract with Brampton Transit for one route, and contracts out another route. As Brampton has a higher ridership than York Region, with only 60% of the population, why would it need to merge with Mississauga Transit?

Halton Region presents a better case for amalgamation.

Stoney Creek already is part of Hamilton served by HSR.

So anything south of Grimsby should be Niagara region.

Also places like port Colborne should have connecting transit to Niagara and the Go train.

There should be connecting transit from Hamilton to Brantford and London as well as down to Turkey point and Simcoe. With connecting transfers to VIA rail. Until we thing of things in an intermodal way transit will never be attractive.

I’ve been saying this before, but if they just merge and integrate the monthly passes together between Miway and BT, as well as have the exact same fare structure, then there wouldn’t need to be a full change to Peel Transit as it’s already unofficially implemented. Maybe we’ll see this when the LRT finishes and especially if the extension to DT Brampton is a thing. Worse case scenario they do it like the TTC buses that go outside the boundaries and switches to another agency, but that’s def unlikely to happen.

Back