News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

For those not seeing the preview, this is a report noting the adoption of Regional Transit for Niagara by the Regional Council.

Still required (seemingly expected) is the approval of a majority of the local municipalities that make up Niagara Region, representing a majority of voters.

From the presentation to regional Council:

1637971119918.png

1637971209351.png

More here: https://pub-niagararegion.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=20205

From further attachments:

1637971341545.png

My thoughts:

Long overdue. I have had friends in Niagara Region over the years, many of whom did not drive in their younger days (some still don't) and the limitations of service in Niagara (in frequent, limited hours, limited crossing of municipal borders is/was a real hassle.

They've been looking at going regional for several years now........it looks (here's hoping) it will finally happen now.

We need a more regional transit network in Eastern Ontario, but with Ottawa's dominance, it is unlikely to happen, although all the satellite towns are growing and the private operators provide minimal commuter service. Even within Ottawa's boundaries, there is little service to growing exurban communities.

We need a more regional transit network in Eastern Ontario, but with Ottawa's dominance, it is unlikely to happen, although all the satellite towns are growing and the private operators provide minimal commuter service. Even within Ottawa's boundaries, there is little service to growing exurban communities.
I'd like to see the O Train line extended south along the old ROW for a true regional rail experience.

My thoughts:

Long overdue. I have had friends in Niagara Region over the years, many of whom did not drive in their younger days (some still don't) and the limitations of service in Niagara (in frequent, limited hours, limited crossing of municipal borders is/was a real hassle.

They've been looking at going regional for several years now........it looks (here's hoping) it will finally happen now.
My thoughts:

I really need to hurry up and edit the video I filmed last summer about how Niagara Falls ON has 4 different transit systems (Niagara Falls Transit, WEGO, Niagara Region Transit and GO Transit). Pretty soon their system will be less silly, and thus less interesting in a video!

Except for Clarence-Rockland and Russell Township (which are subsidized by the municipalities), the commuter buses have been suspended since the beginning of the pandemic. There was an attempt to combine routes in Perth, Carleton Place and Almonte into a single run to maintain a basic service, but even that was cut.

Prescott-Russell replaced its confusing system of one day/week routes established last year with an on-demand service, but even it doesn’t connect with OC Transpo at all.

Except for Clarence-Rockland and Russell Township (which are subsidized by the municipalities), the commuter buses have been suspended since the beginning of the pandemic. There was an attempt to combine routes in Perth, Carleton Place and Almonte into a single run to maintain a basic service, but even that was cut.

Prescott-Russell replaced its confusing system of one day/week routes established last year with an on-demand service, but even it doesn’t connect with OC Transpo at all.
A perfect example of the problems in Eastern Ontario. All bus service between Ottawa and Cornwall has disappeared. The only way is to bum a ride with a friend or a very circuitous and slow route via Montreal. I have helped a friend out a couple of times in the last few months, which is only practical because I don't work full-time. The previous Greyhound and commuter service is gone. This shows the problems when we are dependent on only private service providers.

That those towns aren't even willing to subsidize a handful of buses per day to Ottawa, says a lot. Worse than some of the 905 laggards. And the same common attitude that transit should be paid for by the province or the feds.

Is there a map available of all regional bus routes (post Greyhound) in Ontario?

Uh, yes.

Back