News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

@Rapperswill Welcome to the forum! We really appreciate you being here and the energy you're bringing is awesome. I'm looking forward to your pics! 😁

Hey folks! Don't mind me, I'm just lurking. In fact I've been lurking for a couple of years now. But now that I'm bored at work, I will occasionally contribute to the Edmonton forums whenever I can.
Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing what you contribute :)

Hello everyone, this isn't my first time posting on the forum, but I just found out about this thread. My name is Andrei and I live in Terwilligar. I've been reading this forum for a while to learn more about projects in Edmonton, but I finally got an account a few months ago. Merry Christmas!
Welcome to the forum Andrei, I hope you have a very merry Christmas too!

Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a while but finally decided to join the ranks of (likely occasional) contributors. I grew up in Castle Downs and own a house in Norwood. I live most of the time in Vancouver for work, and part of the time in Edmonton because that's where my heart is. I have so many ideas that I would make Edmonton an even better city, many of them revolve around making the city more bikeable and walkable.

I really enjoy the smart comments on this forum and appreciate the exchange of ideas. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a while but finally decided to join the ranks of (likely occasional) contributors. I grew up in Castle Downs and own a house in Norwood. I live most of the time in Vancouver for work, and part of the time in Edmonton because that's where my heart is. I have so many ideas that I would make Edmonton an even better city, many of them revolve around making the city more bikeable and walkable.

I really enjoy the smart comments on this forum and appreciate the exchange of ideas. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to getting your comments in! The more ideas floating around, the better!
Curiously, we're on a bit of an opposite situation: I spend about 7~10 days in Vancouver for work, every month, and most of the time in Edmonton. Maybe we can do a Skyrise hangout once covid is done!

Hi Friends!

I found this site while trying to research high rise developments in Edmonton that were approved/under construction, and I'm so glad there is an active community here as well.

I'm Alberta born and raised, and I've lived in Edmonton for most of my life (Castledowns yo!). I'm a Journeyman Elevator Constructor, and I've worked on a lot of high rise projects in Edmonton, either on construction or on maintenance. Nowadays my job involves a lot more personnel management and training future Elevator Constructors, and generally promoting the interests of the trade. If anyone has any elevator related questions, specific or broad, please feel free to ask. It's a pretty niche job, so maybe someone is curious? Even if no one is, I think there is a lot for me to learn here, and I hope you will all tolerate my questions (and pro-elevator bias!).

Thanks for reading my biography!

Oh, hello.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Just popping in for a quick re-introduction:

I'm Dave, former Editor (but still a forum moderator for some reason) of SkyriseEdmonton. Been lurking here a bit again lately, thought I'd sign in again to say hello (and to share my latest thoughts on Holyrood Gardens).

I've missed ya'll a lot, but have had a lot to deal with and ponder over the last while. My opinion on the entire real estate and development industry has really soured in the last year or so, and I'm still struggling to reconcile it and my love of urbanism with equitability, inclusion, and reconciliation, which has been really difficult to do with everything happening as of late. It's an ongoing journey. I'm still somewhat active behind the scenes with a few city-building initiatives, but in a much reduced capacity for now while I figure out said journey.

We'll see how often I actually show up again, but in the meantime, here's some photos of my latest hobby: bikerafting! That is, biking with a packraft to water, inflating it, putting the bike on it, floating off for a while, then deflating the raft and biking it all back home again.

2022_0819_153406_011.jpg
2022_0819_152918_007.jpg

I've even gotten out on Whitemud Creek twice this year (including once with @Avenuer back in July, not pictured but just off to the left in the photo below), when the water levels were really high:

20220709_120036.jpg

Anyhoo, hope to drop in again from time to time. Cheers!

(Top gif is the latest addition to my family, Iggy, a ridiculous chinchilla.)

Last edited:
Oh, hello.

View attachment 423995

I'm Dave, former Editor (but still a forum moderator for some reason) of SkyriseEdmonton. Been lurking here a bit again lately, thought I'd sign in again to say hello (and to share my latest thoughts on Holyrood Gardens).

I've missed ya'll a lot, but have had a lot to deal with and ponder over the last while. My opinion on the entire real estate and development industry has really soured in the last year or so, and I'm still struggling to reconcile it and my love of urbanism with equitability, inclusion, and reconciliation, which has been really difficult to do with everything happening as of late. It's an ongoing journey. I'm still somewhat active behind the scenes with a few city-building initiatives, but in a much reduced capacity for now while I figure out said journey.

We'll see how often I actually show up again, but in the meantime, here's some photos of my latest hobby: bikerafting! That is, biking with a packraft to water, inflating it, putting the bike on it, floating off for a while, then deflating the raft and biking it all back home again.

View attachment 423998View attachment 423997

I've even gotten out on Whitemud Creek twice this year (including once with @Avenuer back in June, not pictured but just off to the left in the photo below), when the water levels were really high:

View attachment 423996

Glad to see you back around here Dave, and that you've been doing well! The concerns you're wrestling with are very valid, and it's admirable that you're open with us about them :)

Oh, hello.

View attachment 423995

View attachment 423998View attachment 423997

I've even gotten out on Whitemud Creek twice this year (including once with @Avenuer back in June, not pictured but just off to the left in the photo below), when the water levels were really high:

View attachment 423996

Really glad to see you here again, and to hear that you're doing well. You had us worried about your well-being for a little while.

Welcome back!

Hey everyone, I’ve been a longtime lurker here on Skyrise. I believe I introduced myself a few years ago.

I came across Skyrise about 4 years ago and looking at updates on projects threads has become a daily ritual, something like reading the news daily for me.

I am a recent Bachelor of Commerce graduate from macewan, but I find myself interested in urban spaces, development and architecture.

I do work in the banking industry right now, but have been heavily considering going back to school to get my Masters in Urban Planning.
I was looking for some advice and if someone was able to answer some questions for me or be able to connect with me sometime for a quick chat!

I’m mostly looking to find out if Urban Planning is a good career to go into for someone like me who is of a business background. I also do have a goal to be business oriented and pursue working for myself, what are the opportunities in the future, after gaining experience of course, to start an independent practice/firm, is that very common in the industry? Is school a requirement to get into the field or is work experience sufficient? Lastly, although this is a passion of mine is it a good industry to be in financially, whether it may be in the public and private sector?

Thank you so much for you time!

Back