News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hey everyone, I’ve been a longtime lurker here on Skyrise. I believe I introduced myself a few years ago.

I came across Skyrise about 4 years ago and looking at updates on projects threads has become a daily ritual, something like reading the news daily for me.

I am a recent Bachelor of Commerce graduate from macewan, but I find myself interested in urban spaces, development and architecture.

I do work in the banking industry right now, but have been heavily considering going back to school to get my Masters in Urban Planning.
I was looking for some advice and if someone was able to answer some questions for me or be able to connect with me sometime for a quick chat!

I’m mostly looking to find out if Urban Planning is a good career to go into for someone like me who is of a business background. I also do have a goal to be business oriented and pursue working for myself, what are the opportunities in the future, after gaining experience of course, to start an independent practice/firm, is that very common in the industry? Is school a requirement to get into the field or is work experience sufficient? Lastly, although this is a passion of mine is it a good industry to be in financially, whether it may be in the public and private sector?

Thank you so much for you time!
Planning school is more or less necessary to get a planning job at a municipality and a bit less important to join a consulting firm as a planner, in my experience. If you want to get into land development planning, it's possible to work as a planner / project manager for a developer without a planning degree, but work experience in the planning and development field is the most useful imo.

Check in with @CplKlinger -- he will have the most sage advice.
Oh shucks, you're making me blush

Hey everyone, I’ve been a longtime lurker here on Skyrise. I believe I introduced myself a few years ago.

I came across Skyrise about 4 years ago and looking at updates on projects threads has become a daily ritual, something like reading the news daily for me.

I am a recent Bachelor of Commerce graduate from macewan, but I find myself interested in urban spaces, development and architecture.

I do work in the banking industry right now, but have been heavily considering going back to school to get my Masters in Urban Planning.
I was looking for some advice and if someone was able to answer some questions for me or be able to connect with me sometime for a quick chat!

I’m mostly looking to find out if Urban Planning is a good career to go into for someone like me who is of a business background. I also do have a goal to be business oriented and pursue working for myself, what are the opportunities in the future, after gaining experience of course, to start an independent practice/firm, is that very common in the industry? Is school a requirement to get into the field or is work experience sufficient? Lastly, although this is a passion of mine is it a good industry to be in financially, whether it may be in the public and private sector?

Thank you so much for you time!
Welcome to the forum! I don't know a lot about the field, so I'd put more stock in @Avenuer's advice. But I think between the reforms happening in Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan, and how the needle is moving across the region in general (IE with the density minimums agreed upon a few years ago), now must be an exciting time to be an urban planner in the region.

Hey all,

Been a long time reader and follower for a few years now. Figured it's time to make an account and contribute to discussions on what is a solid community in the Edmonton section.

Some background, I'm originally from Ontario and been in Edmonton for just over 5 years. I work for the Provincial government and have had a lifelong interest in urban planning, design and all things city related both here, Canada and abroad.

Cheers all.

Hello,

I've been a very long time reader, and I've always come here to follow new projects in the Edmonton area. This probably dates back to my initial interest in the Rogers place development.

About me:

I was born in Edmonton and grew up in Grovenor. My idea of a typical neighborhood stems from that, however I'm now aware that Grovenor is in many ways central Edmonton. My youth activities were generally centered around being outside, biking in the river valley, and playing sports. My views on projects are largely going to be influenced by my positive association to this kind of living. I have lived mostly in/around Edmonton.
These areas being Grovenor, Parkdale, St.Albert, Ormsby and Louis Estates (ordered favourite to least favourite). I have also lived in Kamloops BC, and Winnipeg Manitoba.

I'm not a professional in this industry, but I work as an electrician, so building techniques are not completely lost on me.

My main goal here is to follow projects, post the occasional updates that I selfishly only ever took from this forum, and I will try to help influence developers to be more like Beljan and Edgar/Artifact. I'll always have a foot in Edmonton, so I plan on putting my money and time towards making it better.

Thank you.

Hello,

I've been a very long time reader, and I've always come here to follow new projects in the Edmonton area. This probably dates back to my initial interest in the Rogers place development.

About me:

I was born in Edmonton and grew up in Grovenor. My idea of a typical neighborhood stems from that, however I'm now aware that Grovenor is in many ways central Edmonton. My youth activities were generally centered around being outside, biking in the river valley, and playing sports. My views on projects are largely going to be influenced by my positive association to this kind of living. I have lived mostly in/around Edmonton.
These areas being Grovenor, Parkdale, St.Albert, Ormsby and Louis Estates (ordered favourite to least favourite). I have also lived in Kamloops BC, and Winnipeg Manitoba.

I'm not a professional in this industry, but I work as an electrician, so building techniques are not completely lost on me.

My main goal here is to follow projects, post the occasional updates that I selfishly only ever took from this forum, and I will try to help influence developers to be more like Beljan and Edgar/Artifact. I'll always have a foot in Edmonton, so I plan on putting my money and time towards making it better.

Thank you.
Welcome! Grovenor is IMO one of the most underrated neighbourhoods in Edmonton and I'd live there in a heartbeat. Enjoy the forum mate

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer in Edmonton, for two weeks.

Sorry if I should not post anything about garbage disposal in this thread, but I really would like to know.

My landlord told me that my building does not have waste separation (garbage vs. recyclable) and hence told me to put all waste in a single alley of the building. Is this true? Is waste recycling mandatory in Edmonton? What if someone made a mistake in recycling, for example putting a plastic bag into garbage bin? Will he get a fine?

I would like to follow Edmonton rules, Thanks a lot!

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer in Edmonton, for two weeks.

Sorry if I should not post anything about garbage disposal in this thread, but I really would like to know.

My landlord told me that my building does not have waste separation (garbage vs. recyclable) and hence told me to put all waste in a single alley of the building. Is this true? Is waste recycling mandatory in Edmonton? What if someone made a mistake in recycling, for example putting a plastic bag into garbage bin? Will he get a fine?

I would like to follow Edmonton rules, Thanks a lot!
There are recycling centers you can bring your recycling to if you want, but otherwise the landlord is correct you can throw it all in the trash and you won’t see any consequences.

However, they are implementing new bylaw changes that all apartment buildings will need a recycling bin as well for residents, starting I think somewhere in 2024?

There are recycling centers you can bring your recycling to if you want, but otherwise the landlord is correct you can throw it all in the trash and you won’t see any consequences.

However, they are implementing new bylaw changes that all apartment buildings will need a recycling bin as well for residents, starting I think somewhere in 2024?
Many thanks, as to "recycling centers" that you mentioned, I think you referred to Community Recycling Depots, right?

By the way, is there any personnel in the Depots so I can ask questions?

Many thanks, as to "recycling centers" that you mentioned, I think you referred to Community Recycling Depots, right?

By the way, is there any personnel in the Depots so I can ask questions?
Yup. They're unmanned operations, just a row of dumpsters for different types of recycling as shown in their photo. You can call 311 anytime though for any questions and they should be able to answer if not properly direct your questions (best to call during business hours).

Hey everybody, long-time reader, first-time commenter. Been a yegger since 2006 (2006-2009 and 2018-present, to be exact). I'm a writer by trade, but in my off-time, I like to explore the city I've grown to call home. I'm currently on a mission to visit every neighbourhood in YEG, from A to Z (currently in the Ds - been walking downtown for three straight weekends now, haha!). Got pictures from them that I'll be posting here, so you can look forward to those!

Enjoy the development gossip on here, keep it coming! :)

Hello fellow, I am a new Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. I have been looking for a job for two weeks, no luck.

I wonder if it is desirable to put "Permanent Resident" in resume? I heard some people against this idea. Anyone who was a PR before and share how to secure a job fast?

I have arrived Canada for about 1.5 months as a new permanent resident. While I am living in Edmonton, I am wondering if I should apply for Alberta Health Care (AHCIP). The problem is I am still applying for a job and not sure if I have to relocate to other provinces. I learnt that one of the requirement for AHCIP is the intention to live in Alberta for long time. But this is something that I cannot decide now.

What should I do?

PS: But I am going to apply for Alberta ID card, which seems not require a commitment to stay long in Alberta

I learnt that one of the requirement for AHCIP is the intention to live in Alberta for long time. But this is something that I cannot decide now.
Apply. AB is probably the best province in Canada, in this sense. From the day you land and establish residency here, you're entitled to have your AB health insurance, even as a temporary resident (WP or SP). You don't have any costs or penalties or leaving the province.
I don't know who gave you this info, but they were grossly misinformed.
Also, welcome to Canada and to Edmonton! Hopefully you find a job here and have time to fall in love with this city like all of us in this forum (supposedly)!

Back