News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Well, that was a short lived experiment.

Free-tuition program is gone, tuition reduced and student fees are no longer mandatory, Ford government announces
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...nger-mandatory-ford-government-announces.html

I would support cheaper tuition in STEM-focused degrees and trade schools. What we need is a path that leads to careers for those not STEM focused that includes relevant education. For example, my BA is in political science, but I'm a international sales manager. I didn't need a degree for this job, though the post-diploma I did at GB in International Sales was invaluable. If I could have jumped straight from high school to the GB program and then to work I'd be 2-4 years ahead of my career now, and would not have wasted taxpayer and my money on a degree.

Last edited:
I don't agree with axing free tuition for low income individuals but I also don't agree with the administrative bloat found in post-secondary institutions in this province. A large portion of what I pay as a student doesn't go to my learning, but so that Liberal Party appointees can hold onto their bullshit administrative jobs. Education should absolutely be more affordable but not at the public whose tax dollars go to feeding this system

I think it makes much more sense to give very low cost or free tuition to people from poor backgrounds.

There are exceptions but usually people from upper middle class or rich families get their tuition paid for by the bank of mom and dad.

I think it makes much more sense to give very low cost or free tuition to people from poor backgrounds.

There are exceptions but usually people from upper middle class or rich families get their tuition paid for by the bank of mom and dad.
I’ve never supported the idea that government tuition relief be connected to family income. When I went to university as an 18 year old adult in 1991 my father was wealthy, but gave me nothing for tuition, and nothing was expected. But getting OSAP was a big challenge, I was an adult with little money, but the government judged my suitability for help based not on my ability to pay, but on others’.

I’ve never supported the idea that government tuition relief be connected to family income. When I went to university as an 18 year old adult in 1991 my father was wealthy, but gave me nothing for tuition, and nothing was expected. But getting OSAP was a big challenge, I was an adult with little money, but the government judged my suitability for help based not on my ability to pay, but on others’.

True but you are more the exception than the rule.

The govt has finite resources and giving away free tuition to families who can afford it seems like a waste of money.

As much as I disliked the previous liberals, I supported this plan.

The govt has finite resources and giving away free tuition to families who can afford it seems like a waste of money.
But the transactional relationship is between the student (once past 17, already a legal adult) and the government, not the student's family. Unless we legally require families to support their adult children's education, I don't see the rationale for connecting a student's net tuition costs to his/her parent's income.

And what about those from poorer families who get help from others - for example, your parents can't help you, but a grandmother offers to fund your RESP or pays straight for your tuition. OSAP would still pay based on the parents' low means, but the student wouldn't need it. When I was in university we called those kids the Ontario Stereo Acquisition Plan, since they didn't need the cash, but got the grants for fun.

Last edited:
Another problem, of course, is that funding goes toward students majoring in useless areas or ones debased by far left politics (most of the humanities and social sciences).

I don't think humanities and social sciences are necessarily useless because these are topics that will always need to be looked back on, but there certainly isn't a demand for that many students in those fields. The number of those who are there only because they feel like they need a degree unfortunately far outweigh the number of academics who are there to make meaningful contributions to humanities and social sciences

Oh, agreed. I am a big booster of the liberal arts in the service of producing responsible, mature and enlightened citizens. My experience and that of countless other people shows the humanities are not being taught properly at the moment. Your second point is very interesting and I think it's connected to the exhortation students hear all around to "pursue their passion" which leads them to major in niche areas with poor employment prospects.

Last edited:
Another problem, of course, is that funding goes toward students majoring in useless areas or ones debased by far left politics (most of the humanities and social sciences).
The government and industry know where our skills deficits are. Funding should go to those areas, and tuition increased or decreased to drive students in those directions.

As for far left politics, I feel you. My degree is in political science and I couldn't stand the leftist movements on campus.

My biggest concerns with the proposed changes is the elimination of the 6-month grace period. I know when my friends and I graduated way back when, having that grace period was really helpful. Not all of us got jobs right away - I believe it took me ~2months to land a job myself. Removing the grace period just seems unnecessary and harsh IMHO.

My biggest concerns with the proposed changes is the elimination of the 6-month grace period. I know when my friends and I graduated way back when, having that grace period was really helpful. Not all of us got jobs right away - I believe it took me ~2months to land a job myself. Removing the grace period just seems unnecessary and harsh IMHO.
I agree. I can't imagine that impacts the government or lender's revenue whatsoever.

My kids will have sufficient funds for their first degree, but if they want PhDs it'll be tough.

Give university students a tuition break, Ontarians overwhelmingly say

Tue., July 14, 2020

Three-quarters of Ontarians say universities should give students a tuition discount if they are learning online this fall because of COVID-19, says a new poll.

The survey, conducted by Campaign Research for the Star, found that just 13 per cent of those polled thought tuition should remain the same.

“I think everybody is looking for a bit of a discount,” said Campaign Research principal Nick Kouvalis.

It’s partly a reflection of how people feel about online learning, he said, and “if people think they are not going to get the full experience” of being on campus, spending thousands on tuition doesn’t sit well.

A number of student groups have also been pushing for a break on tuition for this fall.

Give university students a tuition break, Ontarians overwhelmingly say

Tue., July 14, 2020

Three-quarters of Ontarians say universities should give students a tuition discount if they are learning online this fall because of COVID-19, says a new poll.

The survey, conducted by Campaign Research for the Star, found that just 13 per cent of those polled thought tuition should remain the same.

“I think everybody is looking for a bit of a discount,” said Campaign Research principal Nick Kouvalis.

It’s partly a reflection of how people feel about online learning, he said, and “if people think they are not going to get the full experience” of being on campus, spending thousands on tuition doesn’t sit well.

A number of student groups have also been pushing for a break on tuition for this fall.

My kids don’t start university until Sept 2021, at the earliest. If they had graduated high school this year I would be telling them to take a year off rather than experience this mess in Sept 2020.

Back