News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My kids don’t start university until Sept 2021, at the earliest. If they had graduated high school this year I would be telling them to take a year off rather than experience this mess in Sept 2020.

My cousin who rents a room from me, is going back home to Ottawa for the upcoming semester(s) as George Brown has announced they're going fully virtual for the foreseeable time period.

University students frustrated by fees ahead of online semester amid COVID-19

Aug 9, 2020

"The fact of the matter is that I am not paying for the same type of education I signed up for when I started my program," she told CBC Toronto in an email. "Fees should reflect that."

Maeve McNaughton, a fellow Ryerson student, explains it this way: "We are paying a good amount towards campus maintenance, campus building access, athletics access, recreation... and we can't access any of them."

That frustration isn't limited to students at Ryerson.

Nate Denaro, a student at York University, has calculated that even with a reduced fee, he'll spend about $270 this coming school year on athletics and recreation, saying the school's decision to not drop the fee altogether is "outrageous."

Fifi Wei, set to start her first year at Sheridan College, was also surprised by what she saw when she looked at the fine print of her tuition.

"I realized, 'Oh my god, they charge a lot of fees that actually aren't applicable for students who study at home,' she said, citing an on-campus health centre charge as an example.

Wei wrote Sheridan, asking them to reconsider, but was told the fees are not optional.

University students frustrated by fees ahead of online semester amid COVID-19

Aug 9, 2020

"The fact of the matter is that I am not paying for the same type of education I signed up for when I started my program," she told CBC Toronto in an email. "Fees should reflect that."

Maeve McNaughton, a fellow Ryerson student, explains it this way: "We are paying a good amount towards campus maintenance, campus building access, athletics access, recreation... and we can't access any of them."

That frustration isn't limited to students at Ryerson.

Nate Denaro, a student at York University, has calculated that even with a reduced fee, he'll spend about $270 this coming school year on athletics and recreation, saying the school's decision to not drop the fee altogether is "outrageous."

Fifi Wei, set to start her first year at Sheridan College, was also surprised by what she saw when she looked at the fine print of her tuition.

"I realized, 'Oh my god, they charge a lot of fees that actually aren't applicable for students who study at home,' she said, citing an on-campus health centre charge as an example.

Wei wrote Sheridan, asking them to reconsider, but was told the fees are not optional.

I understand not dropping the academic tuition fees from an institutional perspective. That would reduce your revenue; but the buildings have not gone away. You might see some reductions in janitorial cost, and in energy consumption, but for the most part, those are fixed costs; and you need revenues to cover them.

I see the unfairness to students in that as well though.

But I will side completely with the students on athletics/recreation. If I'm paying for a specific service; and I can't access a remote/virtual version of same; give me back my money! That that creates another financial hole for the University isn't really the student's problem, its the institution's and the government's.

Back