News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

You're welcome. Considering all your posts in the short time you've been on here , I think you know who've been doing preaching.

Good point bringing in those immigrant workers into the picture, I must say I am heartened by your concern - so perhaps we should encourage unionization of various low paying (if not downright exploitative) service jobs immigrants are known to work in?

AoD

Last edited:
This is a repost from the Torontoist:

"I would like to see the NDP (or any party sympathetic to the situation) to put forward a bill to cancel the TTC's "essential service" designation if their budget is cut. One of the many hypocrisies of Ford's administration is that he claims the TTC is an "essential service," yet has no problems cutting its budget and services while giving another "essential service," the police, a budget increase. What part of the TTC does he deem "essential" anyways? If he believes it is "essential," then it is his responsibility that it be funded as such and not simply be designated as such because it sounds nice from a populist point of view!"

To add to this, if this trend is to continue (and it probably will for the next 4 years), the TTC is going to NEED to get articulated buses. In the grand scheme of things, most of these routes still have ungodly high frequencies, yet they face such crowding that even still there is much outrage. If they are to cut the number of buses running, at least they could run longer buses. Hell, in some cases I wonder if they amend the Highway Traffic Act to allow double articulated buses on some routes!

You're welcome. Considering all your posts in the short time you've been on here , I think you know who've been doing preaching.

Good point bringing in those immigrant workers into the picture, I must say I am heartened by your concern - so perhaps we should encourage unionization of various low paying (if not downright exploitative) service jobs immigrants are known to work in?

AoD

Somehow, I can picture kkgg7 hauled before a labour tribunal, were he to be a local employer.

Message boards like this draw all sorts of quacks and charlatans.

AoD

You talk as if unionization is only a good thing. Unionize all workers, make their wages higher and everyone is happy forever?
Unfortunately it is not that simple. When wages exceed their market value due to non-market reasons, companies choose to hire fewer people, and if they don't, their profit declines, tax revenue drops, economy stops growing.

You only need to look at Greece to know where unionization and inflated wages may lead a country. You pay a worker what the market deems fair - that's the only way it works. You can pay every single workers $200,000 a year, but eventually it is not gonna help anyone.

People make low income for one and only one reason: their skills and labour are only worth that much. If they are worth more, people will pay more.

Seriously, it's time to disband those unions and come up with a new business plan/strategy...cause it just ain't working...

kkgg7:

It's bit of a stretch to compare Greece, with its' extremely bloated public sector and high rates of tax avoidance with anyone else. And clearly your sarcasm detector isn't working with regards to constructing my comment re: immigrants and unionization.

AoD

last time I heard, there was a shortage of actual hirees that know that working for the TTC isn't a walk in the park like its viewed from most. Probably changed, but doesn't mean that all TTC front line workers have to visit the soup kitchen daily to keep their jobs

What about the idea of having articulated buses? Didn't someone mention that artic buses were coming back to Toronto?

Maybe TTC riders need a union.

Seriously, there are huge advocacy groups from automobile drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. We need an organized group to represent transit riders' interests in this city.

I'm a long-time lurker, I only post when someone here aggravates me past a certain extent. For those of you bashing unions, I highly suggest reading a little history instead of reciting Toronto Sun/corporate talking points. One book that comes to mind is Steven Greenhouse's - The Big Squeeze. (It's available free online, if you'd like: http://books.google.ca/books?id=LbF...r_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Steven Greenhouse&f=false) Although it predates the 2008 crisis, it accurately predicts what was about to happen to the major global economies. The reality is that the current system is not working. Someone is taking too much of the pie, and it's hurting us all. If you think that your middle-class, comfortable lifestyle is here to stay, think again. Unfortunately, one day your real-wage will begin to erode as well.

As for comments like this one:
"Wages aren't always directly congruent to skill level in either sector, but they are based on the forces of supply and demand in the private sector. You pay someone what the market thinks that job is worth. And if someone else will do it for cheaper then that's what the job is worth. Public sector unions are isolated artificially from that. Hence wages get all out of whack with the job's real economic worth. "

With that sort of mentality, there would be no jobs left here in Canada. Our economy would fail with all work being outsourced to economies in southeast Asia where everyone would "do it for cheaper". Should we hire illegal immigrant workers to construct our homes because they will do it for a lesser price? Should our government move its offices to India where workers will complete all the necessary tasks for cheaper?
Economics is a LOT more complicated than just the forces of supply and demand. You can't plot everything that happens in the market on a simple graph, especially when it comes to wages.

Or this one:
"Unfortunately it is not that simple. When wages exceed their market value due to non-market reasons, companies choose to hire fewer people, and if they don't, their profit declines, tax revenue drops, economy stops growing. "
Actually, when wages increase (not exceed their value - I'd say they are highly "undervalued", I think you mean exceed the equilibrium wage rate) more often than not companies take the hit (although it's not much of a hit for most) and keep all of their workers. When the minimum wage rose (an example of a non-market increase) did your local Tim Hortons fire a few workers? No.
And wow! Since when is a company's profit taxed 100%? This has got to be the most nonsensical thing I've ever heard. A dollar given to a worker will do wonders stimulating the economy compared to the absolute maximum of 32.5 cents of every profit dollar that the government can squeeze out of a highly successful company. This dollar given to the worker would actually be spent, spurring actual economic growth instead of being circulated in the stock market, sitting in the bank, or being paid to company executives.

One more:
"People make low income for one and only one reason: their skills and labour are only worth that much. If they are worth more, people will pay more. "
I actually agree with the first part of that statement. People make low income for one and only one reason: greed. A lowly janitor earning minimum wage employed by a certain business undoubtedly works much harder than the company owner's whose business practically runs itself and requires no further effort to maintain. The amount of effort that the two people put in obviously varies, however it definitely does not vary by the ridiculous difference in earnings. It's also humiliating to classify people by saying every person has a "worth".

Okay, last one:
Seriously, it's time to disband those unions and come up with a new business plan/strategy...cause it just ain't working...
Actually, it's time to stengthen unions since they are at their lowest point since the great depression. A renewed commitment to organized labour could halt taking advantage of a large chunk of society and reduce the terrible income inequality. Evidently, this system where corporations control our lives is not working. They even have the power to elect our leaders!
We were/are much luckier here in Canada than in other countries due to our strong social contract - universal health care, a nationwide pension plan, regulation of employers, unemployment insurance, etc. However lately these things seem to be at risk, especially under the current government (the CPP has already been chipped away at).

End of rant.

Lesouris, actually the TTC riders do have a body that represents them, albeit rather small. It's called TTCriders and you can join at http://www.ttcriders.ca/. They will send you updates once a while to your email!

Last edited:
From The Star:

TTC users need a crusader to battle cuts

9527bb154d05adfafed7e7c59f75.jpeg

By Royson James

So much for customer loyalty.

The city’s most faithful customers — the beleaguered brigade of transit captives — are getting it in the teeth again. Bus and streetcar service on the most popular routes is being cut back to achieve a confounding funding target established by a befuddling mayor.

Meanwhile, crime is down, and falling by the month. Yet Mayor Rob Ford responds by boosting the police budget.

Transit ridership rises to an all-time high, with projections of more than 500 million rides in 2012. Instead of offering transit users a bonus — like better service, or a fare-free day — Ford shows them the back of the hand.

He cuts $46 million in transit subsidies, creating a funding crisis that penalizes the very transit rider he should support.

Faced with a demand to cut costs 10 per cent, Toronto police, the most pampered department in the city, rose up in righteous indignation. Chief Bill Blair battled politicians at every turn to preserve every penny of his near billion-dollar behemoth of a budget. And won.

Faced with the same demand, the gentlemanly mandarins at the TTC dutifully go about the task and chop, chop, chop. And a constituency that is millions strong but seemingly powerless and defenceless sleepwalks towards disaster.

How do you feel today, you wretches along Finch Avenue West? You cram the buses. You wait and wait and wait and then wait some more when a bus comes and is too full to take a single passenger. And now transit officials say you must wait longer. And endure more crowded buses once on board. Do you not count in this city?

Who is fighting for you?

This is not to blame TTC chief general manager Gary Webster and his staff — they are terrific soldiers toiling on the front lines, moving more than a million rides a day. But TTC customers need an advocate, a crusader, someone or some group willing to Occupy and protest and march and raise hell until the average commuter in this city region is no longer taken for granted.

Across the border in York Region, a transit strike continues into its fifth week. Nobody gives a rat’s ass.

In Toronto, successive city hall regimes jerk the transit system this way and that, lurching from ridership boosting strategies to a clear path towards ridership erosion.

David Miller introduced the ridership growth strategy. Commuters responded by packing the buses. Ford shows up, yanks the money and sends the buses screeching to a halt, riders toppling over each other, trying to save one threatened route after another.

Is this a way to treat commuters, many of them forced to take transit because they don’t have a car? If you can get away with it, yes.

“Are we proud of it, no,†says Mitch Stambler of the TTC. “It’s part of corporate requirement to meet budget target. We’re doing what we have to do to meet the city’s target.â€

The announced service cuts will save $15 million. Webster recommended a 10-cent fare hike for the 2011 budget, pointing out that the system needed the $30 million in generated revenue. Ford rejected it. Now, months later, he wants to cut service along well-travelled routes like Queen, King, Dufferin, Don Mills et al, to save $15 million.

It’s consistent with his decision to abolish the vehicle registration tax that generated some $60 million a year — even as he cries poor and cuts service.

And this passes for proper management of our city.

Everywhere, transit is being reduced and made less attractive. So, here’s a future for the once tent-dwelling “Occupy†crowd. Adopt transit riders and train them.

Needed now, especially since Rob Ford has declared War On Public Transit!

In addition to the service cuts, they are now saying there will be a fare increase(!). Toronto Star: Prepare for fare hike, TTC chair says

Public transit riders should brace themselves for another fare increase, TTC chair Karen Stintz said Friday night.

“We’ve tried to do everything we can to avoid it,” she said. “But we still have a gap, and unless something changes we’ll need to close the gap through a fare increase.”

In a letter to TTC customers, Stintz suggested a fee increase is on the way if the province doesn’t cover more of the $1.5 billion it costs to run the TTC.

“The current support from the province, while truly welcome, is not enough,” the letter said.

The TTC received $91 million from the province for operations in the 2010-11 fiscal year. That amounts to six per cent of costs, which Stintz said is “inadequate.”

TTC commissioners will decide next month whether to raise 2012 fares by 10 cents. Its next meeting is on Dec. 14.

In addition to the service cuts, they are now saying there will be a fare increase(!). Toronto Star: Prepare for fare hike, TTC chair says

Fare increase I can live with, as long as it at or below the rate of inflation. Ditto with property taxes. Not doing so will mean larger than inflation increases later, or service cuts (as we are seeing now because there were no property tax increase for 2011 and the removal of the city registration tax).

End to unions: the first step historically taken by all fascist regimes

Back