News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Businesses, too! It would be nice if maybe Circle K or the liquor store came out and cleaned the broken glass on the sidewalk nearby.
But in terms of the bollards that have been tampered with and the one removed and thrown in the shrub bed, hopefully it's not too many more days before the city gets to it since it was reported 3 days ago now.
Exactly.. Imagine if you treated the sidewalk directly outside your business like you did the inside. If we all simply spent 5 min a month sweeping the sidewalk or picking up trash it be an instant transformation.

side note the city is markedly cleaner since the lidded garbage carts arrived, now if only our street cans wernt giant ugly aggregate trash cyclones. I mean Walt Disney created a hinged and covered trash can some 75 years ago. you think we would catch up.

Businesses, too! It would be nice if maybe Circle K or the liquor store came out and cleaned the broken glass on the sidewalk nearby.
But in terms of the bollards that have been tampered with and the one removed and thrown in the shrub bed, hopefully it's not too many more days before the city gets to it since it was reported 3 days ago now.
We don't have the culture and attitude of care for the space around businesses, that say many European places do. We can do better. The chains and franchises are the worst, many small businesses do make more effort.

I just do not get why property owners accept that in front of their commercial (or residential) properties to begin with.
I don't disagree.

There are some areas where garbage is just continually a problem - for example the diner at the southwest corner of 108 st and Jasper Ave where entrance to Corona LRT station is. Always so much garage blowing around there and gathering in spots. It gets picked up I think but it's back every day with empty food containers, wrappers, and just general debris. Sometimes it's food that's not pleasant to pick up.

Being vigilant is needed it seems, but I can understand feeling resigned.

Last edited:
We don't have the culture and attitude of care for the space around businesses, that say many European places do. We can do better. The chains and franchises are the worst, many small businesses do make more effort.
It all depends on the franchise owner/management. Some are very diligent and clean and others, not so much. I find many of the Tim’s to be the worst.

One thing that drives me crazy is a lot of franchise restaurants and strip malls removed garbage cans because of COVID and have never put them back.

From what I notice, most businesses clean up in front of their businesses in the morning.

Then trash pigeons come through the day emptying out entire trash cans, or disposing of their belongings right on the street. After a while, I'm sure some of the people question what's the point of cleaning up when everything ends up in the same state.

Back