News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

A good part of what continues to kill Jasper Avenue is the inordinate amount of time it takes to actually complete things.

That means this 10 block long project will take roughly four and a half years (!!!!) from now until construction is finished and that’s if it finishes on time.

For perspective, it only took 12 months longer than that to complete the 1,150 km Trans Mountain Pipeline construction twinning from the County of Strathcona to Burnaby.
Definitely things seem to take too long. Any insight why this happens?

Definitely things seem to take too long. Any insight why this happens?

For starters:
  1. Capital budgeting from the City - I suspect this is why Jasper Ave revitalization has been done in phases.
  2. Other competing projects. Do you really want Jasper Ave to be snarled by traffic due to revitalization projects while 104 Ave is in the midst of the Valley Line LRT construction until 2027 and the Stony Plain Road Bridge over Groat Road is closed until at least the end of this year?
  3. LRT projects are a higher priority over cars. Climate change and all that.

Anyone have any idea when these stupid wood temporary traffic light posts at 109st. and Jasper will be removed and the permanent lights will be installed? It is ridiculous how long it takes this city to do things some times considering that the work on that intersection was completed last fall.

View attachment 390115
I made the above post two years ago in April 2022. This project was completed in October 2021. As of this morning, this temporary wood pole is still here. How this city is so incompetent and apathetic towards completing projects especially in premier areas of our downtown blows my mind

Picture2.jpg

Last edited:
There was a similar situation a couple years back at Jasper and 99 St. with the ugly wooden poles and overhead wires still sitting there after all of the "beautification" work had been completed. I called 311 and sent pictures and got a call back a week or so later. The lady who called me said that it was EPCOR's responsibility to remove the poles. I told her I didn't care whose responsibility it was and for her (or whoever at the CoE) to contact whoever they needed to at EPCOR to get all that $#!+ removed asap. It did eventually get removed but it took several months. I'll try to get out there and snap a pic and then call 311 again. Mindboggling that this is what has to be done to get something so seemingly simple to be completed.

There was a similar situation a couple years back at Jasper and 99 St. with the ugly wooden poles and overhead wires still sitting there after all of the "beautification" work had been completed. I called 311 and sent pictures and got a call back a week or so later. The lady who called me said that it was EPCOR's responsibility to remove the poles. I told her I didn't care whose responsibility it was and for her (or whoever at the CoE) to contact whoever they needed to at EPCOR to get all that $#!+ removed asap. It did eventually get removed but it took several months. I'll try to get out there and snap a pic and then call 311 again. Mindboggling that this is what has to be done to get something so seemingly simple to be completed.

Thanks for posting to 311. Why is this forum the first go to for people to submit their grievances versus 311 which certainly has a better likelihood of getting a positive result.

Thanks for posting to 311. Why is this forum the first go to for people to submit their grievances versus 311 which certainly has a better likelihood of getting a positive result.
How do you know that? That's a pretty big ignorant assumption on your part that this is the first stop for grievances.

1. It helps with awareness, the more people who know about these things, the more people who can/will be able to do something about this
2. There are many people who do not come downtown and dont see or are not aware of things like this in downtown and with the city in general
3. People like @JNO1 share their experience with calling in things and share their experience.

This is an open forum with dialogue about issues within our city and community.

How do you know that? That's a pretty big ignorant assumption on your part that this is the first stop for grievances.

1. It helps with awareness, the more people who know about these things, the more people who can/will be able to do something about this
2. There are many people who do not come downtown and dont see or are not aware of things like this in downtown and with the city in general
3. People like @JNO1 share their experience with calling in things and share their experience.

This is an open forum with dialogue about issues within our city and community.
Hey all good.
And I was thanking the poster above for posting to 311 - it's helpful.

Maybe because reporting to 311 is either very time consuming if you're trying to do it by phone and can be pretty ineffective if using the app.

On numerous occasions I've used the 311 app to report something that sees the service request promptly closed even though the complaint remains unrectified.

The forced classification of requests menu before you can actually submit a report also aren't always intuitive or applicable.

Maybe because reporting to 311 is either very time consuming if you're trying to do it by phone and can be pretty ineffective if using the app.

On numerous occasions I've used the 311 app to report something that sees the service request promptly closed even though the complaint remains unrectified.

The forced classification of requests menu before you can actually submit a report also aren't always intuitive or applicable.

It's definitely easier to post here and less frustrating although when I have called I usually haven't waited long.
I do like to use app to add pic but it has issues sometimes.

I'm about to submit a 311 pic from one of the newer flower beds on Jasper Ave between 113 to 114 street that has collected a lot of garbage and even clothing. Other ones are pretty good.

might be due to the past experiences with 311... ???

Also for consideration: you never really know who lurks here. You can guarantee at least a few news media people browse through here every once in awhile looking for story ideas. They used to do it on C2E often. One time I made a thread there about a City retaining wall project taking excessively long and a few days later there was an article in the news about it.

All it takes is a slow news day and suddenly @CaptainBL 's favourite lamp post is used in an article criticizing Edmonton's infrastructure maintenance.

Back