News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

As the one who mentioned K rails, I must have watched too much Mythbusters. That's what they call them. I have also heard the term Jersey Barrier, and Ontario Tall Wall.

Another thought..... Is there anyone here that thought this change over would be smooth and without issue? If you did, Well, Have I got a great deal on Oceanfront property. It's in Saskatchewan.

You kinda miss the point. As it stands, there's a glaring problem. What do you suggest? Doing nothing and building a boat on the waterfront property you bought?

I suggest that we all take a deep breath.

I suggest we avoid that road.

I suggest we take transit.

Chances are, the city will put in more "incentives" to force the drivers to do what they are supposed to. Whether those incentives are barriers, lights, signage, or enforcement, the city will do something to clear this up.

The problem is also the signage. It tends to be confusing, not very obvious in daylight and virtually nvisible after dark. The City needs to bring back the LED ones that were on King and look at each junction at various times of day and light level.

I like this. First of all, to a certain extent, this is self-enforcing. Drivers are extremely aversive to running red lights. I'm sure non-compliance would plummet with their installation.
The current "green" signal phase would be replaced by this:

0ooYRYe.png

I like this, but with modifications to make better sense:

PHASE RED (all): Red light illuminated only
PHASE RED (cars only): Red light illuminated and transit priority illuminated
PHASE YELLOW: Yellow light illuminated (no other light)
PHASE GREEN: Green arrow (no solid green) and transit priority illuminated

The red light should never be permanently illuminated, otherwise, it conflicts with the other colors, and also breeds complacency.

Thusly, red light + green arrow will never be simultaneously illuminated, in order to avoid the "red permanently illuminated, unable to illuminate the solid yellow or solid green because red is permanently illuminated" catch-22 situation.

As a result, it would only have 4 lights:
- TRANSIT (WHITE RECTANGLE)
- SOLID RED
- SOLID YELLOW
- ARROW GREEN

Gibberish? How? It's been used in Toronto for years at turns without much issue. I don't see cars ignoring it - though pedestrians are a another issue.
See my post above. I think his diagram implies that red would be permanently illuminated, meaning there would not be any cycling except for the arrow turning on/off and transit priority turning on/off. That would not be logical for Ontario drivers, which is why I recommended minor modifications to TigerMaster's light.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-19_22-21-1.png
    upload_2017-11-19_22-21-1.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Chances are, the city will put in more "incentives" to force the drivers to do what they are supposed to.
And what do you suggest? Ice creams for all the drivers who do as they're supposed to do? I've got news for you: There's a reason they call them "penalties" (fines, demerits, etc). Laws are *imposed* or anarchy will rule on the roads.

It's been used in Toronto for years at turns without much issue.

The problem is also the signage. It tends to be confusing, not very obvious in daylight and virtually nvisible after dark. The City needs to bring back the LED ones that were on King and look at each junction at various times of day and light level.
The problem isn't the event, albeit there's some fine-tuning to be done there, the problem is the front door, and who gets in. The signage and the nature of it is very important, it has to be authoritative and emphatic, with consequences attached...*guaranteed* by a red-light camera, as not all drivers, by any means, but a significant number will do as they please if they can get away with it.

As Fitz remarks though, pedestrians are also a concern, and not just at intersections. There's a reason that Bourke Street and many other transit malls have been strict in keeping pedestrians off the tracks.

If, and once the motorist situation is sufficiently addressed, cyclists and pedestrians are going to be the next one. That may sound heavy-handed, but it cannot be forgotten that this isn't a 'pedestrian mall'...it's a 'transit mall', moving the third largest number of passengers of all routes in Toronto.

The red light should never be permanently illuminated, otherwise, it conflicts with the other colors, and also breeds complacency.
Far less so than a sign that says same.

I think you miss the need to be so *legally* emphatic, and a solid red is posted in a number of situations, one being "wrong-way" roads. But it's the *rate and degree of catching miscreants* that means using a red-light. I'll double-check to see if a flashing red light is covered under the "Red Light Camera" legislation, but they mean different things. Flashing means stop, then proceed when safe. That's not the message necessary.

And sure as hell the passive signs aren't doing what they're supposed to.

Edit to Add:
[...]
RED LIGHT CAMERAS

Definition

205.15 In this Part,

"traffic control signal" means a traffic control signal as defined in section 133; ("signalisation de la circulation")

[...see section at end for reference...]

"red light camera" means a camera prescribed by regulation that is capable of photographing or capturing one or more images of a motor vehicle and of accurately and simultaneously recording data related to the motor vehicle and a traffic control signal. ("dispositif photographique de feu rouge")

Installation of red light camera

205.16 (1) A municipality may pass a by-law approving the installation of a red light camera at the intersection of two or more highways situated in the municipality.

Same, prohibition

(2) A red light camera shall not be installed at the intersection of two or more highways unless the municipality within which the intersection is situated approves the installation in accordance with subsection (1).

Same

(3) A municipality shall not approve the installation of a type of red light camera other than a type of red light camera that is prescribed by regulation.

Same

(4) A municipality shall ensure that a red light camera is installed, used, operated and maintained in accordance with the regulations.

Prohibition of obstruction of camera

(5) No person shall obstruct or otherwise interfere with the installation or operation of a red light camera.

Confidentiality of information

(6) Any information relating to a person that is gathered by means of a red light camera is personal information for the purposes of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and shall not be used or disclosed except in accordance with that Act.

Red light camera evidence

205.17 (1) A photograph that was obtained through the use of a red light camera and that meets the conditions set out in subsection (2) is admissible in evidence in a proceeding under the Provincial Offences Act in respect of an alleged contravention of section 144 or 146.

Conditions

(2) The photograph referred to in subsection (1) shall meet the following conditions:

1. It must clearly show the vehicle and the number plate displayed on the vehicle.

2. It must indicate the prescribed information relating to the contravention of section 144 or 146.

Photograph as proof

(3) In the absence of evidence to the contrary, the photograph referred to in subsection (1) is proof that the vehicle was involved in a contravention of section 144 or 146, as the case may be.
[...]
http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bi...illID=1821&ParlSessionID=36:2&isCurrent=false

I can find no necessity for the light to be flashing or solid. It may be taken as being ambiguous, admittedly....

But here's the way around that, *and take special note* as the following flexibility applies in many Acts surrounding this situation, including the Controlled Access section of the HTA, and shout-out to @reaperexpress, who's done some excellent digging on this:

Regulations

205.20 The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,

(a) prescribing types of red light cameras;

(b) respecting the installation, use, operation and maintenance of a red light camera;

(c) prescribing information for the purposes of paragraph 2 of subsection 205.17 (2);

(d) prescribing what constitutes evidence of ownership of a vehicle for the purposes of the application section 205.4 to this Part;

(e) prescribing what constitutes a photographic equivalent of a photograph for the purposes of the application of section 205.6 to this Part;

(f) prescribing anything that is required to be prescribed under this Part;

(g) authorizing Ontario to pay allowances to municipalities that are authorized to collect fines under this Part, providing for the payment of those allowances from the court costs received in connection with the fines levied under this Part and fixing the amount of the allowance;

(h) designating the municipalities that are authorized to collect and retain fines for the purposes of subsection 205.19 (1), authorizing them to retain the allowances referred to in clause (g) and requiring them to remit the remainder of the court costs to Ontario.
[...]

Definition of a a "Red Light" as per HTA, as referenced above:

133 In this Part,

“bicycle traffic control signal” means a traffic control signal where the coloured lenses each display a prescribed bicycle symbol; (“signalisation de la circulation pour bicyclettes”)

“indication” means a signal lens display that is activated by internal illumination; (“indication”)

“traffic control signal” means that part of a traffic control signal system that consists of one set of no less than three coloured lenses, red, amber and green, mounted on a frame and commonly referred to as a signal head and includes a bicycle traffic control signal; (“signalisation de la circulation”)

“traffic control signal system” means all of the signal equipment making up the installation at any location. (“système de panneaux de signalisation”) R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 133; 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (11); 2015, c. 14, s. 38
[...]
Regulations
(6) The Minister may make regulations providing for the posting of signs and the placing of traffic control devices on any highway or any type or class thereof for the purposes of this section, and prescribing the types of signs and traffic control devices. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 134 (6).
[...]
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK219

Make of that what you will...what's interesting is the *latitude* allowed to interpret application.

Last edited:
Reactions: jys
Just saw a taxi get busted for driving through the Spadina intersection. It was 9:56 :rolleyes:

It looks like he got a ticket. The cop wasn't the typical friendly "Hey, do you know about the King Street Pilot? Here's an info flyer" that we've been seeing the first week.

Of all the cars who are blatantly breaking the rules, taxis need to get nailed hard. Not only is it their job to know the rules, they drive around all day so they must have seen the signs by now. If they haven't, they're blind and shouldn't be driving and carrying passengers.

Just saw a taxi get busted for driving through the Spadina intersection. It was 9:56 :rolleyes:

It looks like he got a ticket. The cop wasn't the typical friendly "Hey, do you know about the King Street Pilot? Here's an info flyer" that we've been seeing the first week.

Of all the cars who are blatantly breaking the rules, taxis need to get nailed hard. Not only is it their job to know the rules, they drive around all day so they must have seen the signs by now. If they haven't, they're blind and shouldn't be driving and carrying passengers.

That is the kind of "incentive" needed.

Here's my idea for many intersections on King:

upload_2017-11-19_22-21-26.png

-- For pedestrians, it would illuminate separately (Walk will only illuminate during the red+transit phase), giving pedestrians their protected phase.

-- For bikes, use the same bike-logo signals used in Hamilton, Ontario (on Cannon St and Bay St protected cycle tracks) that illuminates at same time as walk signal. A very curious aberration; in Hamilton getting the first cycle-logo lights in Ontario that I know of:

upload_2017-11-19_23-6-33.png

(Hamilton, Ontario)

In Toronto's case, the walk signal and the bike signal (located nearer the walk lights for Toronto's case) would illuminate at the same time as the red+transit phase in the rightmost of the image above.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-19_22-21-26.png
    upload_2017-11-19_22-21-26.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 621
  • upload_2017-11-19_23-6-33.png
    upload_2017-11-19_23-6-33.png
    347.2 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
The city really needs to implement this idea. If they install the signals with the vertical white bar then the current ones can be reused elsewhere, right?
Here's my tweet about my improved traffic light idea for #KingStreetPilot.
https://twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/932451351476523008
I have tagged TTC & Tory so they'll get alerts everytime someone likes/retweets that.

Twitter has been a boon for this project. the Twitterverse is currently the most popular way to measure the sentiment of the King Street Pilot...

Here's my tweet about my improved traffic light idea for #KingStreetPilot.
https://twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/932451351476523008
I have tagged TTC & Tory so they'll get alerts everytime someone likes/retweets that.

Twitter has been a boon for this project. the Twitterverse is currently the most popular way to measure the sentiment of the King Street Pilot...

I was going to say that Twitter isn't the most representative because of its relatively small uptake, but then I checked and was surprised to find out that ~20% of people use twitter:

twtr11-e1452251162839.png

But I would expect that older crotchety suburban drivers are less likely to use twitter than single urban 20-somethings who live downtown and take the streetcar, and the people who tweet about the King street pilot are more likely to be transit users currently sitting in said streetcar instead of drivers trying to navigate the new maze of turn restrictions.

So, still not necessarily representative of general sentiment, just of the twitterverse's demographic bubble.

Back