News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If the forum demanded brevity I'm sure the UT folks would configure the system to constrain post length. They haven't.
10,000 characters, I hit it years ago.

In 2014 or 2015 I asked them to expand the limit. They didn't, which is understandable. They decided 10K is a sweet spot for the occasional longposts.

It's funny in that they just put those planters (and will continue to do so) to try to get rid of one problem but it created another unexpected problem. So that new solution will re-introduce the old problem + whatever proportional new one based on how differently they find this solution.

It reminds of me trying to dig a deep pit in the sand and the more you dig, the more sand comes down. The more you try to clear that area, sand comes down from somewhere else. Ultimately they'll get it right.. but it might take longer than a year and much more $$ than expected.
Still peanuts compared to a subway. ;)

Even at 10x price, actually increases transit ridership more than the $3.5B Scarborough Subway Stop.

Bring on the cobblestones (between rails) & flat bluestones (curb lanes)! It will improve ambience a lot, and discourage driving on the tracks. Also, raised platforms for stops. Goodbye asphalt.

Heck, Toronto used to do this decades ago - putting cobblestone between rails to discourage blocking streetcars. Rumble strip effect, gets the cars out of the way!

C222F38A-A51D-4F33-994B-6ECBFA23B115.jpeg

Attachments

• C222F38A-A51D-4F33-994B-6ECBFA23B115.jpeg
    C222F38A-A51D-4F33-994B-6ECBFA23B115.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Heck, Toronto used to do this decades ago - putting cobblestone between rails to discourage blocking streetcars. Rumble strip effect, gets the cars out of the way!

Cobblestones had nothing to do with getting cars out of the way. They were just the most practical and cost-effective way to cover streetcar tracks until the 1970s. Nowadays they're not - concrete is cheaper and better-quality, and streetcar tracks are built in ways that make cobblestones impractical.

"Cobblestones" is technically incorrect:
A sett, usually referred to in the plural and known in some places as a Belgian block[1] or sampietrino, is a broadly rectangular quarried stone used for paving roads.[2] Formerly in widespread use, particularly on steeper streets because setts provided horses' hooves with better grip than a smooth surface, they are now encountered rather as decorative stone paving in landscape architecture.[3][4] Setts are often referred to as "cobbles", although a sett is distinct from a cobblestone in that it is quarried or worked to a regular shape, whereas the latter is generally a small, naturally-rounded rock.[5]

Setts are usually made of granite. [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sett_(paving)

See:
Cities 101: Cobblestone Streets In NYC Are Expensive (and Disappearing)

They suck for riding on :) Unless you've grown up Belgian.
I already question the wisdom of the City inviting cyclists to use the King Kore Korridor. Adding setts will just further guarantee disaster for them along with the tracks, yellow, very slippery tactile strips and the broken white line pavement markers running down the centre of the tiny corridor bikes must navigate.

Someone had best decide on the safety of cyclists and commit to it before taking any more measures that put them in danger, or decide that it's too dangerous and there isn't enough room for cyclists to share with pedestrians. I lean to the latter. Btw: Sett stones are also very precarious for pedestrians.
Health and safety spells the end for cobblestones
It is the great cobblestone compensation controversy.

Although cobbles can be difficult to walk on - especially in high heels - they are treasured as part of the nation's heritage.

But now, many of those taking a tumble on the uneven surfaces are suing their council for damages.

New figures suggest that hundreds of thousands of pounds are being paid out to compensate people who trip over on cobbles.

Local authorities faced with the prospect of further claims are deciding that enough is enough and are ripping up or paving over the traditional surfaces.

A survey by The Sunday Telegraph has found dozens of areas, including parts of historic market towns and city centres, where cobbles or "setts" have been permanently removed or covered over with modern materials, such as Tarmac, asphalt or concrete.

In most cases, officials say the schemes are necessary for safety reasons. However, heritage groups have criticised the councils and accused them of sacrificing local history in an overzealous response to so-called "compensation culture".

Sixty-six councils across the UK admitted they had permanently removed cobblestones or resurfaced over them in the past five years, at well in excess of 100 locations, covering thousands of square metres of roads and pavements.

Thirty-seven local authorities said they had received a total of 159 applications for compensation from people claiming to have fallen over on cobblestones or to have experienced some sort of accident caused by them.

While some of these claims have been thrown out, others have are still ongoing and several have resulted in payouts totalling more than £100,000, including one of £25,000 from Worcestershire County Council.

The actual number of claims and payouts is likely to be far higher as most councils contacted were unable to provide the information.[...]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...d-safety-spells-the-end-for-cobblestones.html

Unless the streetcar tracks are off-bounds for other use and fenced, then the use of slippery, uneven surfaces is just plain crazy.

Last edited:
I've been very enthusiastic about streetcar rights-of-way since living and working near King a decade ago.

The current implementation of the pilot felt like the least they could do, full of bad compromises. Today I rode the streetcar both ways on a business day, is it, three weeks since it was implemented, and for the first time after the ticketing blitz ended.

I am surprised that it seems to be working. Despite cheaters, most drivers are staying away still. The streetcars flow smoothly. I think pedestrians and transit users are starting to adjust and were out enjoying the street.

Details aside I think this will be a huge success. It already seems normal and obvious.

Meanwhile, on modal rebalancing in downtown Toronto.... #KingStreetPilot

Car drivers (including me) understand this, and willingly understand the need for a few rebalanced to streetcars and cycles, to imcrease a downtown's overall (totalled) people moving capacity. Gains exceeds losses.

F02DF6B1-3CB3-4349-B50E-6A9A41DD3489.jpeg

Attachments

• F02DF6B1-3CB3-4349-B50E-6A9A41DD3489.jpeg
    F02DF6B1-3CB3-4349-B50E-6A9A41DD3489.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 446
I wonder if dissatisfaction with KSP is going to nudge upward when people are at unsheltered farside stops as the weather becomes more inclement. I realize that the temp stops lack concrete pads to erect conventional shelters but find it difficult to accept that some sort of basic safe shelter can’t be erected on some or all of them. Worse still if the barrier isn’t technical but rather that Astral Media just don’t want to figure it out.

I wonder what the feedback will be when people are forced to wait in much colder temps for packed streetcars. Last night I waited for the Eastbound King Streetcar at the Spadina stop. Waited about 5 or so minutes for the 1st streetcar which was packed to the 9s. Most at the stop didn't get on. Then came another one 5 minutes later...packed. A few people got on. most did not. I waited another few minutes before changing my mind and waiting for the northbound Spadina streetcar. I waited there 5-10 minutes and during that time didn't see a single streetcar along King. The travel time is shorter....yes..but that's only if you actually get onto a streetcar. Most times you're going to have to let a few go by before you can get on. So travel hasn't really improved for people like me. I figure part of this would be resolved once more of the newer streetcars are added to the King line.....I hope.

Edit: Holy cow, just read @dowlingm post. Great minds think alike.

I wonder if dissatisfaction with KSP is going to nudge upward when people are at unsheltered farside stops as the weather becomes more inclement. I realize that the temp stops lack concrete pads to erect conventional shelters but find it difficult to accept that some sort of basic safe shelter can’t be erected on some or all of them. Worse still if the barrier isn’t technical but rather that Astral Media just don’t want to figure it out.
Maybe some stylin' propane heat lamps?

I wonder what the feedback will be when people are forced to wait in much colder temps for packed streetcars. Last night I waited for the Eastbound King Streetcar at the Spadina stop. Waited about 5 or so minutes for the 1st streetcar which was packed to the 9s.

I would be very interested in seeing ridership numbers for King now. With cars turning around faster capacity should be naturally higher; in addition they've added new cars to the route.

Ridership must have increased 30% on that route. If so, that's a very difficult growth rate to manage.

Back