News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Surely this couldn't have anything to do with the fact that this is the coldest stretch of weather we've experienced in four decades, and nobody wants to be outside for any reason.
Live in denial. We don't know for sure yet, but the indications are not good. What does it take to address a serious threat, falsely perceived or not?

Reactions: BMO
^^ that tweet isn't getting a lot of love
Sure isn't. In a way, there's a chance that this will backfire for Crisanti and Campbell. Fingers crossed. But Council had better get off their arses and manage the PR.

One more danger in splitting the vote against Tory come civic election time. I don't think many realize how wrong this can go. Am I being a cynic? Just look at Toronto's history on transit issues.

How do motorists get around if their cars don't start because of the cold? They don't want to go anywhere, including King Street, if their cars can't start.

Surely this couldn't have anything to do with the fact that this is the coldest stretch of weather we've experienced in four decades, and nobody wants to be outside for any reason.
The cold was one of the reasons I heard for the lack of custom "because, in this weather, nobody wants to have to park their car a block away and walk to the restaurant".
They were complaining about the lack of street parking. I still don't get this street parking out front rubbish. How many customers can park their cars in front of your place in King Street? Literally one car, the rest are walking at least 6m and up to....oh, look, no parking til almost Spadina.

If your business model is predicated on there existing in front of your business a few street parking spots then your business model is shite and I can't believe you have credit with the banks.

Hey, at least Crisanti and Campbell haven't followed in D. Ford's steps and declared it all to be a "business exclusion zone".

Anyone know of how many non-Luk businesses are complaining. I mean, that stretch of King isn't exactly full of boarded up store fronts. Must be hundreds of businesses sounding alarm bells. Or.....nah?

Here a question: How many people are needed to fill up all the spots in these business?? Divided that number by 2 or 4 to see how many cars are require to service these business. Now where is the area where the highest complain's to see if there is enough on street parking spots to park all these cars?

At the same time, what other business are around these looser's that require parking and what impact will it have on these looser's?

At the same time, how many owners and employees park in front of their store??

If all spots are fill and there is a line up to get in, where do these next in line folks park if the ones that are eating & drinking have all the parking spots fill??? Oh...what a web of bull shit by the business.

Improve the traffic signs, lights and transit will run faster to prove this is the right move.

^That's what I'm saying.....the parking thing doesn't make any sense to me, especially the way they're portraying it, if you think about it logically.
Maybe I'm just stupid.....or not.

^That's what I'm saying.....the parking thing doesn't make any sense to me, especially the way they're portraying it, if you think about it logically.
Maybe I'm just stupid.....or not.

Here are three possible explanations that people aren't considering:

1. King Street was a street that potential customers would use to find parking off of King Street. Yes, there are parallel streets that can be used to find parking, but no doubt there are some potential customers that are scared off because there is no allowed through-traffic on King.

2. Yes, there are perhaps 1 or 2 parking spots directly in front of businesses on King, but there are dozens of spots a walk away east or west on King. For example, I may park in front of Pecaut Square, and then walk all the way to Peter Street to go to a restaurant. Now, I can't drive from Peter Street to Pecaut Square to find a parking spot, so I might decide not to eat on King.

3. A few times in the past I drove up King Street from Spadina to almost University with others in my car and we were trying to decide what restaurant to eat at. It was convenient to relatively quickly drive past 5-10 choices before deciding. Now this is impossible, meaning some potential customers (especially out-of-towners that aren't familiar with the city) may decide not to come to King at all.

Altogether, these might explain some loss of business on King. Granted, other factors need to be considered as well (the holidays, cold weather, small sample size, etc), but you can't ignore some alternative explanations.

Last edited:
Valid points.

Though anyone who is scared off because King isn't a through street probably falls into the category of drivers I've repeatedly referred to as the shouldn't-be-drivings. Which, granted, is a completely unrelated subject to the one of parking.
So, we can consider that one can use King Street to access nearby parking without having to make concessions for unconfident or confused drivers. For this purpose, King Street still serves.

The drive-by recce is a good one. Can't say there's anything that can be said against that being a real source of custom except perhaps "too bad". That sentiment, of course, isn't very helpful though. So, we'll try thinking of it as the effect of necessary change. How many other businesses in the area have the same problem of the missing drive-by recce? Perhaps relying on the vehicular explorers isn't a good business plan.

Why are some businesses in the area "hurting" while others aren't? Maybe it has nothing to do with parking at all.

Yeah, but while that's pretty strange to say, Ford actually called it a "business exclusion zone". That's still a bit more of a fabrication than "basically, ban the car".

OK, forget it, they're both utter fabrications and fictional characterisations.

As a reference, here are the walking times and distances from those areas to Fred's Not Here, taken from Google Maps. This doesn't include private lots that are all around that area. Metro Hall has 1052 spots.

DSyiIr5W0AEOV6l.jpg:large

Back